Plasma or LED - Help

peatmoor pirate

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Hi I will shortly be buying a new TV and would welome some advice. I'm planning on buying a 42" TV and am torn between a plasma and an LED. The room the TV will be in is quite bright during the day and so this has tended to lean me towards LED. However, I also am a bit of a fan of horror so tend to watch a lot of films and TV which have a lot of black in them which I understand can be better delivered via Plasma. Just to round off, I'm also a big football so motion processing is important. I'm not bothered overly by 3d though I waouldn't rule out a TV which features this if it has a better general spec than 2d. I shall be partnering with a new Blu Ray player and a new soundbar (not sure which yet) and Sky HD Any advice gratefully received. cheers Dave

Both plasmas & LCDs / LED-lit LCDs have their own advantages & drawbacks. Buy a TV regardless of technology. check them out side by side & see what you prefer.

In general, plasmas inherently handle motion better & offer deeper blacks. But these differences are getting narrower. Bright light isn't a problem for me when watching a programme on my plasma.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I would recommend the one I have as a very good LED or any other Panasonic Plasma for that matter.

It depends what you want really. If like me you plan to use the screen as a monitor too then go for LED. Otherwise Bigboss pretty much summed it up nicely.

+1

A

Anonymous

If you are in a brightly lit room the better option is a LED back-lit LCD, preferably one with full matrix LED and local dimming. This should give you almost the same level of contrast as a plasma but works much better in a brightly lit room. You may need to consider matte screens as well which aren't available on plasma's.

naughty573

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I also watch a lot of football and i have compared many LCD and LED tv's to Plasma models - and i really prefer the plasma for the purpose of watching football. You can see loads of motion blur no matter what refresh rate is used on the panel when they pan the camera across a crowd. Itis hard to see the faces in the crowd as faces in a crowd because its all just a streaky blurred mess whereas with a Plasma the only time this motion blurring will happen is if the camera wasnt too good .... now imagine a bad camera combined with watching theat bad output on a blurry LCD ..... that drives me nuts to the extent that i would be throwing things at the TV

also in terms of pricing Plasma is pretty cheap in comparison and as an example here in South Africa i can get a 51" samsung 3D capable plasma for around the price of 40" 3D LED so if i was to buy a new TV i would definitely get the Samsung PS51D550 because if i was wanting 3D that definitely looks better on a bigger screen

maybe i am biased toward Plasma but each time i have wanted to buy a TV and each time i make the comparison the LCD and even the LED models still have too much motion blur for my preferences and hence for my own usage i absolutely love Plasma - i will probably want to go to a DLP projector next so i reckon i will never reach a stage where i will ever own an LCD or LED TV

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
When or if we get large screen TRUE LED TVs what will we call them? Looks like the misleading and erroneous and damned annoying term for LED lit LCDs is here to stay!

peatmoor pirate

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Post 3: Well, no need to be like that; am newish here and couldn't see any specific thread to this effect and I had some specific requirements around what I watched which I wanted some advice on. Thanks for taking time to come over and be sarccy though.

Fortunately, others have been very helpful and to them, many thanks.

def lugs

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
d4v3pum4 said:
Wow, another plasma vs lcd/led question. That's a new one. No-one has ever asked that question before.....

Me thinks some one is tired....;) but anyway back to the original post.

Try typing 'plasma or led' into the forum search bar, you will find loads posts relating to the subject.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts