Planar 3 upgrade advice, please.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
I'm seriously considering upgrading my old Planar 3/R200/Nagaoka MP110, but would like some advice on which route to take. It will vey likely be my last upgrade, so want to get it as right as possible. I can't afford to spend more than the cost of an RP3/Elys2

I like my Rega, so will stay with them, and see my options as:

1) new RP3/Elys2;

2) RP1 Queen edition, which is an upgraded RP1, I believe; and, presumably nowhere near as good as an RP3

3) A new 24v motor and (possibly) either an Audio Origami RP250, rewired, if I can get one, otherwise an RP300, rewired.

I think that the costs of a new RP3/Elys2, or Planar 3 Rega 24v motor + arm upgrades, would be very similar?

I will compare the MP110 to the Elys, and either keep both, for swapping later on, or put the least favourable one on my P3 and sell it. I could, also, just buy an RP3 without a cartridge, and fit my MP110. I've never heard the Elys2, so don't know how it sounds (some auditioning due).

I'm tending toward option 1, for easiness, but if the Sages on this forum think option 3 would give me a better sounding TT, then it's going to take some thinking about, and investigating affordable/acquirable arms. The less hole-drilling involved, the better ( swapping between single-hole and three-hole mounting arms). I believe that some of you already have similarly modded Planar 3s, and would welcome your input.

Thanks,

Geoff.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
No, I hadn't, Troy, I'd forgotten about them, to be honest. However, having checked their site, they might be more of an option if I had a newer TT, with the new motor and an RB300 arm. As my 80s model has it's original motor, ready for an upgrade, and an R200 arm, it would mean replacing both before an Inspire upgrade, putting the cost beyond my reach, unfortunately.

But thanks, anyway, and I'll bear Inspire in mind, just in case.

dtmark

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I've had the Rega RP3/Elys combination. I've had issues with quality control on these, as per another thread on here, but to be honest the combination didn't inspire me particularly.

I don't know how it would compare with what you have, I only know how it compares with an old Thorens deck with an SME tonearm and a Goldring cartridge, and that isn't really a fair comparison. I never put the Goldring on the Rega TT to evaluate on a more like for like basis.

I'd describe the RP3/Elys combination as being not particularly insightful, lacking in midrange and upper frequencies but with a lot of bass kick. It does bring out certain details rather nicely but is lacking in the high frequencies and some fine detail and I don't think it's especially good at tracking difficult records - where the Goldring excels the Elys fails miserably. But then the Goldring (1042) is twice the price of the Elys.

Could you take your current TT to a dealer and ask them for a side-by-side demo versus a new RP3 to see what you think?

What are you actuially looking to get/hear from this upgrade?

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
A TT upgrade would, most likely, be my last system upgrade, dtmark, and although my Planar 3 sounds reasonably good, after reading hifi forums I'm sure that it can be improved on, for my £500 budget. My quandary is that, I know I can improve it with a new motor and arm, I think that a new TT would be an easier route? The original R200 arm has never been serviced, so presumably can be improved on.

I agree, a side-by-side demo would be the best way to compare decks, and a dealer is only a bus ride away, so will have to do this before a final decision. I'd be interested to hear an RP3 with my MP110 cartridge. Perhaps I'll take my CA640P, too.

I don't know precisely what I want to achieve from an upgrade, other than a "better" sound, whatever that means! I don't want too bright a sound, nor do I want exaggerated bass, just a realistic balance, with the individual sounds of instruments and voices, with detail. I like orchestral, jazz, swing, prog, electronic, and just love the breathy sound of Ben Webster, and the texture of electric guitars, like Bonamassa, Santana, Vai, Martin Taylor, and many others; in fact, I like to "experience" and "feel" music.

Must admit, reading of all the problems with Rega decks doesn't fill me with confidence, though, will have to make sure it's working before taking it home, if I do buy a new one.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I dont want to be harsh on Rega, i had an RP6 with a platter that wobbled, it was replaced with a new one which was fine. The best thing you can do is buy a Groovertracer SubPlatter as the one on the RP3/6 again is built to a cost - the Groovetracer is a thing of beauty and does make a big difference to the SQ.

The deck sounded fantastic with a Nagaoka cartridge ( MP200 ) - remember they are mass produced to a cost base which doesnt allow the level of precision of engineering of a Michell Gyrodec for example.

I could still quite easily live with an RP6, but the a Gyrodec is just up another level and looks stunning. I did seriously consider an RP10 but am very happy with my Gryrodec / SME IV

Also the Rega sound is quite fast & pacy - which i liked, definately not bright.

If I ever bought a Rega deck again the I would insist on checking it before I left the shop, my sister is getting an RP3 shortly so I am going with her when she collects it, then will fit her Nagaoka cart.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for your input, stevebrock. The platter on my old Planar 3 spins true, with no untoward movements, so perhaps those old turntables were built better than they are now?

I have to admit that gradually replacing the arm, motor, and subplatter is a tempting route, with the costs being spread over time. I'm not altogether sure I could do things without damaging the deck, and affecting geometry. But done properly I think I could end up with something to rival the RP6, or thereabouts?

I'm happy with my MP110 cartridge, which will be upgraded to MP200, when it's worn out.

And if I did buy a new deck I, too, would check it out before leaving the dealer. I hope your sister gets a good one; which Nagaoka is she having?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
she is thinking cost so an MP110, which is a great cart - she will be more than happy with results !

just gave her the advice...... get the best Nagaoka you can afford !

Chris Munden

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
I asked a similar number of questions about upgrading my Rega Planar 3, and I have had some very good advice from some very helpful people, it seems a RP3 although an improvement, won't be a huge jump up from the Planar 3, however to put the cat amongst the Pigeons, I have just been to my local dealer and had a sound check on the Pro-ject Xpression UKX fitted with a Ortofon 2MRED on the straight carbon arm, well it was a toss up between the RP3/Elys and the Pro-ject, and for slightly better clarity the Pro-ject was better, it had a more open sound and revealed individual instruments better . Having said this, its always going to be subjective so don't take my word for it.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
I had an easier decision, Chris, as my Planar 3 was a 1983 model, with the R200 arm, and I have found quite an improvement with the RP3/RB303, using my MP110 cartridge.

This isn't to rubbish my old deck, until I heard the RP3 it sounded very good. As you say, audio is extremely subjective, hence all the opinions on hifi forums. Good luck making your decision.

Chris Munden

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
Geoffrey, its really good to hear other poeoples views and experiences, its so useful, just to go off on a tangent (wasn't that a Hi Fi brand), I had a look at the new Thorens decks and some are quite impressive. I think I will keep exploring the market for a while mainly because its so interesting, Edwards turntables are next to be scrutinised. Your decission was a no brainer, but mine not so clear cut.

Cheers, C

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts