Placing a PS3 on top of a Sky Box

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All

I've run out of space on my AV rack so is it ok to place my PS3 phat directly on top of my Sky+ HD box? Would I get issues with overheating at all?

I'm not blocking any vents as the PS3 has them at the rear and the Sky box has them at the sides.

Thanks

daveh75

A common cause of premature failure of Sky boxes, is heat - It's recommended you allow at least 2-3 inches of ventilation space above/either side of it, to prevent over heating.

I'm guessing the PS3 needs plenty of ventilation too, so stacking them is probably not recommended!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yep, i'd avoid it at all costs - performance won't be helped, let alone potential ventilation problems.

Remember that the PS3 can be used vertically, too - you can always stand it in that way, in free air, rather than have to lay it flat on your rack.

My PS3 is placed on top of the Sky HD box. No problems for over one and a half years now, although:

1) I rarely use the PS3 on extended sessions.

2) I place a table fan in front of the PS3 if the PS3 fan goes on overdrive after running it for more than 4-5 hours (indicating heat build up).

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:

Yep, i'd avoid it at all costs - performance won't be helped, let alone potential ventilation problems.

Remember that the PS3 can be used vertically, too - you can always stand it in that way, in free air, rather than have to lay it flat on your rack.

Unfortunately I can't stand it upright either because I don't have enough height between the shelves on my rack.

Someone has suggested that I try using pencil erasers as spacers to allow for air circulation between the units. Would that help?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It may help, but is still not ideal.

By the way, I didn't mean stand the PS3 upright on your rack if there isn't room, but on the floor to the side of the rack (ideally on an isolation shelf/granite chopping board, but that's not essential from the off).

cliffster

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Hi Jazz.

You can buy after market cooling fans which clip on to your ps3 to help dissipate heat from extended sessions and they don't take up much room.

Cliff.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts