Pioneer VSX-LX70 Amp VS Pioneer SC-LX81 AMP

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

Hi

As some of you might know pioneer change the technology in there amps this time to ice power with great success if you have either heard or read the reviews.

But can anyone tell me have they heard the two and have heard any differences between the two amps

These amps have been there flagships for the last two years apart from the susano.

So what has changed? ie audio etc etc

many thanks

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
gel:Hi

As some of you might know pioneer change the technology in there amps this time to ice power with great success if you have either heard or read the reviews.

But can anyone tell me have they heard the two and have heard any differences between the two amps

These amps have been there flagships for the last two years apart from the susano.

So what has changed? ie audio etc etc

many thanksApart from a £500 price hike, like i said in your previous post i couldnt tell much difference really Gel, if i were to upgrade from the lx70 to the 81 IMO it would be a side step as opposed to a leap forward, now if we were talking about the susano that would be a different league.

Pioneer along with others everytime they bring out a new bluray player they always bring out the complimentary amp that would be best matched with it, but like when new manufacturers bring out there new range of bluray players etc new doesnt mean better, the panasonic BD60 compared to the 55 is proof of that.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
The 81 is up step up from the 70. The power modules deliver a much faster and cleaner power and this is very evident on larger speakers and higher performing speakers. The pre-amp stage is improved as well so everything sounds cleaner and combined with the power more focussed.

At first I thought there was not much in it but last month we traded in a 70 from a customer and after getting used to the 71/81 the older amp did sound flat. That said the 70 is a bargain now that the SC models are up in price. Partnered with the right speaker you can get very good results for the money.

Nick

D

Deleted member 2457

Hi Nick

That sounds spot on from what I have heard thanks for that

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
TheHomeCinemaCentre:
At first I thought there was not much in it but last month we traded in a 70 from a customer and after getting used to the 71/81 the older amp did sound flat.
I suppose this is were youve had time to of got used to listening to the 71/81 were as ive just had a demo of it & my first impressions were the same as yours & thats i didnt hear much of a difference between the two amps.

But to hear you say the 70 sounds flat?? Cant get my head around that im afraid.....

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
The 70 is only flat compared to the 81 in my opinion. I do not meant a flat response to the sound - the 70 is lively in that regard but the 81 delivers more detail and places it in the sound stage more accurately than the 70. The 70 comes accross as uninvolving only because the 81 has so much grip to the sound. I realise I was not that clear.

Nick

A

Anonymous

I had a LX71 which is very similar if not identical to the LX81 sound wise (apart from the ant-jitter circuitry)

and to be honest I was quite disappointed

thought my 4 year old Pioneer 2011 had more grunt than the LX71 - which I was surprised by - and I didn't think the overall SQ was really any better than the 2011 - bass seemed not taut at all - although upper registries sounded lovely.

I also thought that the MCAAC adversley (even in manual mode) effected the SQ more than it does on the older Pioneers

I run 6 ohm Tannoy Revolution speakers

cheers, Mark.

jase fox:TheHomeCinemaCentre:

At first I thought there was not much in it but last month we traded in a 70 from a customer and after getting used to the 71/81 the older amp did sound flat.
I suppose this is were youve had time to of got used to listening to the 71/81 were as ive just had a demo of it & my first impressions were the same as yours & thats i didnt hear much of a difference between the two amps.

But to hear you say the 70 sounds flat?? Cant get my head around that im afraid.....

A

Anonymous

From flat to uninvolving in one quick swoop!You obviously work in the HCC.What amp/reciever are you driving yourself?I bet its not a pioneer...

A

Anonymous

Does pioneer technoligy in their av/amps soud flat to the post models later on,where does this end:2008 brand new exciting,high-end reciever! 2010 brand new exciting,high-end reciever! but the old (lol) model is flat & uninvolving!probably unexciting with no fine detail either.But you should be happy after spending maybe 1100 stg on a future proof flat,unexciting & maybe stone-age sound overall.According to reviews nowadays if your kit is over 18mths+ its time to spend another 1100 stg on the latest one because the companys have changed to ICE powered amps.I ve also heard the difference between the sc-lx71/81 ,i asked the salesman if i could fiddle with the MCACC on the lx-71! NO WAY IS WORTH 200-300 STG more.BTW they were connected to TANNOY REVOLUTION 6s 5.1 set. It was a little bit thinner in the treble,but barely noticable,and certainly not enough to spend that sort of extra money.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts