Pioneer VSX-LX55 WhatHiFi? review - 2 questions?

david_tring

Jan 20, 2008
Visit site
Just read the review of the new Pioneer VSX-LX55 home theater amp in November's WhatHiFi? It's a 5-star winner of the Group Test and looks to be just what I need to replace my current Onkyo TX-SR875. But is it just me, or is the review a little, umm, grudging? Not sure...

In particular, for me at least, two major issues were raised but left unanswered satisfactorily - so any thoughts/comments fellow Forum members?

1/ The review says “the treble can be pushed into a little brightness, so take care over the partnering speakers”; this isn't too helpful if you didn’t know what the review amp was tested with though..... I have a mainly Mission set-up - 752 Freedom front floorstanders, C77 centre, M7DS rears and a REL sub. Do these count as "bright" by WhatHiFi? Standards, or are they suitable partners here?

2/ The VSX-LX55 can play 24bit/192kHz FLAC music files from its network connection. This for me is a huge step forward in the advance of HD digital music, but bizarrely for an audio magazine it receives just a passing mention in the review. There are a lot of external DACs that can handle 24bit/96kHz, but vey few reasonably priced ones that accept 24bit at 192kHz; all of those seem to need a digital audio input (co-ax or optical) but none I've found can do it via a LAN connection (at a reasonable price at least).

So Pioneer has made a major step forward and if it sounds good at 24/192 then I'm sold on the VSX-LX55 and I'll buy one. (Please don't tell me there aren't many of these files around - there weren't many Blu-Ray discs around when I bought my first BR player either......)

So, WhatHiFi? magazine, what is its 24/192 playback like? Please tell us!

Regards to all - David

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
A five-star review and a Group Test win certainly isn't 'grudging' - the Pioneer is awesome.

I'll ask the test team to comment further re the hi-res playback - I know they spent a lot of time listening to it, so can only assume word-length constraints in the magazine prevented them from elaborating in the review

A

Anonymous

david_tring said:
“the treble can be pushed into a little brightness, so take care over the partnering speakers”; this isn't too helpful if you didn’t know what the review amp was tested with though

On the contrary, I think many readers will find this very helpful, much more so than picking one or two particular speakers that do or don't work well. As it happens, we suspect your Mission 752 Freedoms might be a touch lean for the Pioneer, but variables such as their condition, positioning and the room itself can all have an affect on treble performance. It's also possible that the MCACC auto-calibration will do a particularly good job of balancing out the system. In other words, you really need to audition the Pioneer with your speakers if you want to be sure they will complement each other.

As for 24-bit/192kHz playback - it's very good. As we've been saying for years, a dedicated stereo system will sound better than a surround system when playing stereo music, and the same is true here, but the Pioneer is insightful and musical enough to benefit from the extra detail and dynamics. As we mentioned in the Group Test, this is already the most musical amp of the four, and playing 24/192 files takes this up an extra level.

I'm very surprised you felt the review was 'grudging' - we absolutely love the Pioneer, which is why we gave it five stars, the Group Test win, and used words like 'absolutely brilliant' to describe it, and it's without doubt the one I'd personally have at home.

david_tring

Jan 20, 2008
Visit site
Thanks to Tom and to Clare for your comments - both are much appreciated. I wasn't knocking the review in the slightest, it was just a feeling I personally was getting from some of the wording - I'll take your very positive comments here as the final word on this particular query.

Tom - thanks for your thoughts on my 752 speakers. Given that they are old models now and I've already been eyeing the B&W 685 or the Monitor Audio Bronze packages as replacements, I think that I'll give the choice of an amp preference over my current speakers. I guess I can always turn the treble down/bass up a bit to compensate. Or see how the auto-tune works.

As a subscriber and a long-term reader, I have a lot of kit that I bought solely on you and your magazine's 5-star recommendations and I’ve never been disappointed yet. Sony TV, Onkyo TX-SR875 amp, Sonos ZP90/CR200, Pioneer BDP-LX70A BluRay, speaker cables, interconnects, etc. and I’ll add the VSX-LX55 to that list shortly I hope.

Best regards - David

umbucker

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Hmmm Im just about to commit to the SC-LX85 for my Tannoy Signature Revolution DC6T / DC4LCR / DC4 speakers, but a touch too bright makes me wonder with such bright speakers. I am not in a possition to be able to audition the kit. I did eye up the new Yamaha range however after reading reveiws I made my decision upon the fact that I perfer a 'focused' 'dynamic' sound over the Warm Soft sound the Yamaha is supposed to give. However, would the Pioneer and my Tannoy shatter my ears like glass ?

A

Anonymous

"Well, Onkyo itself says the key difference between this NR709 and the NR809 is the latter's superior video stage', and that sonically they're very similar, making the 709 the optimal sound-per-pound performer" -- WHF Nov Home Cinema Amp group test (same article as the topic)

I'm really curious about this statement coming from Onkyo themselves. Curious, in the sense that, by their own admission, the 709 and 809 are virtually equals in sound quality, therefore, somewhat implying that the 809 would be unnecessary over the 709 from a sound quality standpoint.

"The TX-NR709 is a high spec, high-performance machine a clear gap above its £500 sibling, the awesome TX-NR609. Power is up from 100 to 110W per channel, which translates into a more muscular, authoritative sound." -- WHF Oct First Tests

Given: The NR709 110w (8ohms) vs NR809 135w (8ohms).

Although wattage is never a good measure for sound quality, you would think an additional 25w over the 709 would translate to an even MORE "muscular, authoritative sound." I mean, if the 709's mere 10w advantage over the 609 gives it "a clear gap," what more 25w? It would seem cinema amplifiers suffer from the law of diminishing returns as well. Was the NR809 unavailable for testing?

(To self: Duh, obviously, it was unavailable OR ELSE they would have tested it, but why couldn't they get one?)

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
umbucker said:
Hmmm Im just about to commit to the SC-LX85 for my Tannoy Signature Revolution DC6T / DC4LCR / DC4 speakers, but a touch too bright makes me wonder with such bright speakers. I am not in a possition to be able to audition the kit. I did eye up the new Yamaha range however after reading reveiws I made my decision upon the fact that I perfer a 'focused' 'dynamic' sound over the Warm Soft sound the Yamaha is supposed to give. However, would the Pioneer and my Tannoy shatter my ears like glass ?

The 85 has a different sound to the 55 and it will match exceptionally well with the Tannoy's. There is always the option of the x-curve within the advanced settings to tame the top end if it rings in your room. I doubt you will need to use it unless you have a large and sparse room.

umbucker said:

Hi umbucker

I wouldn't say Yamaha's new Aventage Series of AV amps is soft sounding. The Aventage RX-A810, RX-A1010 and RX-A2010 have (amongst their other qualities) a highly detailed, full bodied, dynamic and potent presentation which i feel can also be listened to for hours without fatigue. I've not heard the Aventage RX-A3010 yet as it due to be available within the next couple of weeks or so. A client of mine using Tannoy Arena sub/sats recently upgraded his AV amp to an Aventage and this combination works a treat :)

Btw, my findings are partly based on listening to the three Aventage ampslifiers using their pre/power and pre amp sections through ATC passive and SCM100ASL Professional monitors.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

david_tring

Jan 20, 2008
Visit site
I may need to take a step back and regroup! My original reason for wanting to buy the Pioneer VSX-LX55 was solely because it could play 24bit/192KHz FLAc files from its network connection. The only other device I've found so far that can handle these (at any sort of reasonable money) was the Olive 3HD; even then that's "only" once you've manually loaded them on to its hard drive, but it does lots of other things I don't need so for me personally it's not worth the £925 (excellent device that it is otherwise.....).

Most other streamers, like the NP30, NAD C446 etc. can only handle 24bit/96KHz. Some can play 24/192 but only via their Optical/Co-Axial inputs, which assumes that you have a PC right next to your Hi-Fi, with a soundcard in it that can properly handle these files - neither applies to my PC.

Top-end streamers are just too expensive (and often are still limited to 24/96KHz).

So in value-for-money terms, selling my beloved Onkyo TX-SR875 and buying the Pioneer was the most cost-effective way of getting to the 24/192KHz files I want.

Any other possiblities anyone can suggest?

Regards - David

Boca

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi Rick you have me wondering if I missed something when you say "(amongst their other qualities)" can you elaborate

Thanks

:wave:

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Forums can be a good source of info, and they can also be a good source of conflicting info as well. I'm not surprised you feel the way you do - you ask a specific question, and get answers back that you weren't even interested in.

The problem is that a room can be just as much a 'tone control' as the equipment. Laminated floors, bare walls, sparse furnishings, thin curtains, canvas prints etc can all reflect HF energy and make ANY product sound bright. On the flip side, heavy furnishings, thick carpets, heavy curtains, with plenty of huge chairs and sofas can make a system sound dull, robbing it of it's life and energy. The first thing to do is to get a demo of a few bits and bobs in order to assess for yourself what you might be interested in.

As a Pioneer AV receiver user for the past 3 years, I can vouch for e the Pioneers not being bright. They have a forward presentation, which brings detail to the foreground, but they're in no way bright, and I've been using them with speakers like M&K's, which many people also class as bright (sometimes harsh), and I've never had any brightness issues, and I've never needed to use the X Curve facility. I've also used them with KEF Q300's (a speaker which some feel are bright - incorrectly in my opinion), and I've found myself adding to the treble because I've found the combination a little smooth.

The trouble is, apart form the room, is that this brightness thing is subjective. We all hear differently, and what some people find bright, others find quite smooth. If the Pioneer does what you need it to, and you can get a listen, and this aspect suits you, go for it. So far, we've found it to be the best sounding £1k receiver out there. But have a listen and decide for yourself, rather than smeone else decide for you (before you've even heard it).

:)

A

Anonymous

I also consider the VSX-LX55. However I compared the VSX-LX55 towards the VSX-2021 by all possible means on the Internet without beeing able to find any other difference then the fact that the VSX-2021 is delivered without the wireless network adapter.

The price difference on these two are much more then the value of this adapter.

So I have asked different places if there is any differences that should justify the considerable price difference.

From 2 different pioneer support sites in 2 different countries I get the answer that there are no differences except for external cosmetics like material choise. However I disussed the matter with the staff in a respectable HI-FI shop. They argued that the 2 has the same components, but the way of building inside make the VSX-LX55 much better.

If there is nothing more than cosmetic difference why pay 300 - 400 £ more for the VSX-LX55, but rather buy the VSX-LX55.

Is there anybody here that can enlight this question?

Has you in What-Hifi testet or ever listened to the VSX-2021? If yes, is there any sound difference, especially in stereo?

Koem

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
The price difference between the two is less than £200....... 2021 £799... LX55 £995.

Basically it was widely regarded that the older 2020 and LX 53 were the same except the 53 had the wireless adaptor. So if you didn't want/need the adaptor then the 2020 was the greater value option whilst maintaing the same performance as the 53.

It appears that this is the case with the 2021 and the LX55... so if you don't want/need the adaptor (can get an add on cheaper) then the 2021 would be the more frugal option.

A

Anonymous

Thanks a lot, then I go for the 2021.
smiley-smile.gif

Here in Norway the cheapest LX55 i can find cost 11998 NOK and the cheapest 2021 costs about 7300 NOK. That is a big difference for an adapter and som cosmetic differences. I can get the adapter for about 600-700 NOK.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
KOEM said:
Thanks a lot, then I go for the 2021.
smiley-smile.gif

Here in Norway the cheapest LX55 i can find cost 11998 NOK and the cheapest 2021 costs about 7300 NOK. That is a big difference for an adapter and som cosmetic differences. I can get the adapter for about 600-700 NOK.

Yes i think that's a wise choice..... I have seen a good published review of the 2021 here in the UK and it was highly rated as a good buy.

A

Anonymous

What Pioneer elite receiver in the US is the equivalent of the VSX-LX55? On the Pioneeer website they have the VSX 40,42,50,52 and 53. I recently listened to a VSX 52 at a local best buy and was very impressed with the detailed sound.

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

G'day one & all, I have a similiar question as posted by the OP which is;

1/ The review says “the treble can be pushed into a little brightness, so take care over the partnering speakers”

I recently purchased the Monitor Audio Radius R90 HD10 speaker package. my question is would these speakers

be a good partnership with the VSX-LX55? If not, then which Pioneer AV can I look at as being a good partner for

the Monitor Audio speakers.

I've read David @ FrankHarvey HiFi's reply and would like to comment that my AV setup is in a living room of a size 5.5 x 4.1 metres with natural wood flooring; 2 windows @ 2 x 0.9 meters with light curtains & painted walls. A 3 seater sofa & 2 armchairs.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards

William

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
jackearnshaw said:
What Pioneer elite receiver in the US is the equivalent of the VSX-LX55? On the Pioneeer website they have the VSX 40,42,50,52 and 53. I recently listened to a VSX 52 at a local best buy and was very impressed with the detailed sound.

Thanks!

The Elite VSX 53 would be the LX55 equivalent and the Elite VSX 52 would be the VSX2021 equivalent.

theFan

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I too was comparing the 2021 to the LX55 and noticed that the weight of the LX55 was significantly less than the LX53.

LX55 - 10kg

LX53 - 13.4kg

2021 - 10kg

2020 - 13.1kg

So, somehow pioneer have managed to jettison 3.4kg of material from this years model compared to last years. I wonder what exactly they got rid of because 3.4kg seems like quite a lot to me. Maybe it's all in the case.

theFan

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I too was comparing the 2021 to the LX55 and noticed that the weight of the LX55 was significantly less than the LX53.

LX55 - 10kg

LX53 - 13.4kg

2021 - 10kg

2020 - 13.1kg

So, somehow pioneer have managed to jettison 3.4kg of material from this years model compared to last years. I wonder what exactly they got rid of because 3.4kg seems like quite a lot to me. Maybe it's all in the case.

A

Anonymous

Dear all,

how do you think, is Pioneer VSX-LX55 suitable for KEF T305 Home Theatre System or you can recommend another wall mounted speakers?

Thanks in advance!

A

Anonymous

Dear all,

I have the same question as TheOne1 for Focal Dome 5.1. I have read some nice reviews on Focals and decided to buy them.

Kind regards

fiti

A

Anonymous

Hi fiti,

Up until a few months ago I was running the Focal Domes with the LX53, the predecessor to the LX55, and was very happy with that set up, so it gets a thumbs up from me.

A

Anonymous

The weight specs on Pio website are just a mishap...

VSX-2021 - 13.7 Kg

VSX-2020 - 13.4 Kg

these are real...so obviously more flesh in the new one...

TRENDING THREADS