Pioneer VSX-9020 help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I've recently purchased my B&W MT-30 system and the Pioneer receiver VSX 9020. I've never installed a home cinema before in my life so I'm having some problems which I would like some help with..

To test the receiver and the speakers, I initially connected only 3 speakers on the receiver and I plugged the radio antenna. In order to get sound from the speakers I have to turn the volume up to the maximum it goes, and still it is not loud and there is a lot of noise.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Which speaker terminals did you use?

Have you set the receiver to the radio input? (Not internet radio)

Plug all the speakers in and do a calibration set up.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I used the A-Speaker terminals.

I set the receiver to Tuner, not Internet Radio.

The volume indicator on my receiver starts at -80dB and i start hearing the music when I turn it up to -40dB.

I don't know wether this is reasonal.

At the moment I do not have the receiver connected on a monitor so I don't know if I can do calibration of all speakers without the GUI.

Thanks

Messiah

I would try to avoid turning the amp right up. You should not need to and I would be worried about getting sound on whilst it was up high and damaging the amp/speakers.

I assume you have another source you could use such as a BD/DVD player?

I would connect this and perhaps pop a CD in and try to get a stereo signal out. Enusre speakers are connected correctly, ensure amp is set for correct source and for stereo.

(How are the speakers connected??)

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Only other source I have is a PS3 which I tried to connect to the receiver via HDMI. During this I connected the TV to the receiver but with the SCART cables (red,yellow,white) but the TV displayed a message that no signal was received from the device. When I switched the receiver to Internet Radio I could see on the TV a list of the stations that are provided, but no image was shown from the PS3.

Before getting the receiver I had the PS3 connected to the TV via HDMI so I guess the setting on the PS3 should not be changed.

The speakers are connected with 2 core stranded power cable (red & black) which is 2.5mm thick.

Thanks

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
-40 is not loud. For 2.0 sources -15 is loud. You should hear something around -35 though. As before double check your connections against the manual and if in doubt call your dealer.

Messiah

As far as connection of the PS3 is concerned you would need to connect the PS3 via HDMI to the Amp and then HDMI from Amp to TV. I do not believe it would convert the PS3 digital signal in analogue composite. I may be wrong.

Messiah

TheHomeCinemaCentre said:
-40 is not loud. For 2.0 sources -15 is loud. You should hear something around -35 though. As before double check your connections against the manual and if in doubt call your dealer.

I agree with Nick (if I remember correctly??). If you are not sure and have followed the manual then check with the dealer to prevent anything getting damaged.

A

Anonymous

But why would the receiver start from -80dB when I can only hear sound after -50dB?

Messiah

Cannot give you a definitive answer but other sources may be heard at lower volumes as their output level is higher. Other speakers might have a higher sensitivity so would not need as much power to drive.

A

Anonymous

Messiah you were right. I connected everything with HDMI cables and everything works fine now..

My next question now is that for normal television, I cannot hear through the speakers, as my TV is connected on the receiver only on HDMI out. How can I solve this problem??

Thanks

A

Anonymous

None. I am not in the UK or the US at the moment.

I receive the channels through analogue antenna, and they are turning them to digital pretty soon, so I was wondering what would be the best way to hear the sound through the speakers and not the TV.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

If your TV does not have an optical out, you need to look for a red and White RCA connection labelled Audio Out and connect this to your AVR (preferably to the one labelled Sat/TV). In terms of the volume look at it this way if at -80 and you are barely able to hear it, -40 is double the volume, but double of next to nothing, still isnt much. Now when you get to -10 double of the volume is quiet a difference.

A

Anonymous

My TV has many audio out ports, i guess the one should be this one "DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL)", but the input looks like a 3.5mm jack.

What cable should I get? My TV is the Samsung 46c 7000 led 3D as shown in the link http://www.samsungun46c7000.org/

Thanks

A

Anonymous

HyperM23 said:
My TV has many audio out ports, i guess the one should be this one "DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL)", but the input looks like a 3.5mm jack.

What cable should I get? My TV is the Samsung 46c 7000 led 3D as shown in the link http://www.samsungun46c7000.org/

Thanks

Because the 46c7000 is so shallow some of the connections on the back are bespoke samsung ones, you should have an adaptor included within the box, if not contact your dealer or samsung for a replacement.

A

Anonymous

@markjaspi I found the adaptor and I bought the optical and everything seems to be working perfectly now.

Some people told me that I cannot turn speakers really loud from the very first moment I install them.

Does anyone know for how long I should use my speakers on low volume before turning them really loud?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

markjaspi said:
.... In terms of the volume look at it this way if at -80 and you are barely able to hear it, -40 is double the volume...

Not to be picky, but dB is not a linear measurement, it's logarithmic. In reality every +3dB is a doubling. So do be careful when tturning the volume dial to the right!

To the OP, is your TV HDMI 1.4? I believe the reciever is. If the TV is too you could check the manual for which input HDMI connection is used for ARC and connect that to the HDMI out 1 on te reciever. Then the TV/SAT should recieve audio from the TV

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts