Pioneer SC-LX85

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I fallen in love with this AV receiver but wonder if am going to far in purchasing one. The way I see it at the moment it's the best in it's class and would last me for year, currently running a Sony DA1200ES, hooked up to Kef's (see below) would this marriage be any good?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Can you try the Pioneer with your speakers?

I owned the the IQ series (IQ9 + 6c + Dipoles) for a while, and preferred them with a warmer amp like the Arcam, but that is very personal.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Any good quality speaker is going to appreciate a good quality receiver. Some may see it as a little overkill, but hey, everyone's entitled to an opinion :)

The KEF UniQ drivers have always performed well above average for AV purposes, giving better imaging and effects placement, and a more coherent soundfield. The clean, grippy amplification of the Pioneer will keep the KEF's sounding tight too.

:)

A

Anonymous

I had these speakers/amp since 2006, but sony receiver is ok but one of the main reason for a change is it only has 2 HDMI input and hasn't got all the current tech's on it. Will try an find out if I can get a demo with my kef's at one of the AV shops.

KiwiMoto

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks David,I never really thought my SR7005 and MT30/PM1 kit sounded that exciting together.So sitting in front of me on the lounge floor is a BNIB LX85 :)
The shop I bought it off suggested running the PM1's off a Rotel class D 250w x 2 power amp,RB1572 I think it was.Not sure if I'll really need it though.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I run an Lx83 with B&W N805 speakers and it drives them well.

The PM1 are much newer and likely more efficient - therefore you will very likely be fine with the LX85 and them - however there is no centre speaker to match the PM1 and I dont think one is planned for the future, I may be wrong.

KiwiMoto

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Might go R series Kef for the LX85.Listened toR500/200c/XQ60 sub today...pretty darn good!
Oh and T101's for surrounds,not too sure about them though.

A

Anonymous

IMO you will be selling the 85 & the R series short by getting the T101's, I had some rears with my R100's and they where miles apart sonically. I went for R100's at the rear which would be a good option for you too or the R800D's.

A

Anonymous

IMO you will be selling the 85 & the R series short by getting the T101's, I had some rears with my R100's and they where miles apart sonically. I went for R100's at the rear which would be a good option for you too or the R800D's.

A

Anonymous

IMO you will be selling the 85 & the R series short by getting the T101's, I had some as rears with my R100's and they where miles apart sonically. I went for R100's at the rear which would be a good option for you too or the R800D's.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
KiwiMoto said:
Might go R series Kef for the LX85.Listened toR500/200c/XQ60 sub today...pretty darn good! Oh and T101's for surrounds,not too sure about them though.

Excellent choice!

I foresee one problem though. The Pioneer has a single crossover point, which means you'll have to cross all of your speakers over at the same crossover point, which is usually based on the 'weakest' speaker. In this case, it'd be the T101. This means you'll probably be setting it to something like 100Hz, which is feasible, but itI suspect you'll want to cross over the R's lower than that. At least with the R100's as markjaspi recommends, you can then set it to 80 or 70.

Of course, you can set your R500's to large, which means they'll be sent a full range signal, but I'm not an advocate of that practice myself.

KiwiMoto

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
DUH!So iv'e sold my Marantz 7005 which had crossover selection for each speaker and shelled out way more for the single crossover Pio??That was another excellent HT choice (can I say that?) by myself ! :roll:

Plan 2:Use 3000 series eggs for surrounds (they go to 70hz) and set crossovers at the normal 80hz?

KiwiMoto

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Plan 3:Wait for the new MT60D theatre which is due here in another month or so.Use my PM1's for fronts,and still scratch my head about which centre to match!

Plan 4:Hmm,long shot this one...big Klipsch sale down at the big department store.I could grab a trolley and fill it with very large boxes at a very reasonable price 8)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
KiwiMoto said:
DUH!So iv'e sold my Marantz 7005 which had crossover selection for each speaker and shelled out way more for the single crossover Pio??That was another excellent HT choice (can I say that?) by myself ! :roll: Plan 2:Use 3000 series eggs for surrounds (they go to 70hz) and set crossovers at the normal 80hz?

Am amp that allows you to have seperate crossovers for different speakers is folly.

The sub is one channel and needs to tie in and integrate with all the other 5 or 7.

How the hell can it do that if its doing different freqs - I cant believe any amps can process things good enough to do that.

The end result will more than likely be 1 of 2 things - the sub does up to the highest cross over point doubling up bass to some of the speakers - or more than likely the sub will only go up to the lowest crossover point and there will be a gap in the sound from the lowest crossover to the highest on those speakers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts