Pioneer PL-A45

gettingon said:
Can anyone please suggest suitable head shell and cartridge to fit this 1970's turntable

Welcome to the forum.

Most tonearms with removeable headshells are of the standard SME type, which yours almost certainly is. You'd have to get online to check but I'm pretty certain.

There are plenty of these around, some made out of exotic materials, so pick one within your budget.

Speaking of budget, what did you have in mind? It might help with cartridge suggestions.

Back in its day it would have been fitted with something like a Shure or Stanton cartridge. The Stanton 680 can still be found (in Mark 3 guise) for about £70.

There are cheaper options available but it's best not to go too cheap.

gettingon

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Al for the helpful advice. It will be good to get the old t/table going again after decades on the shelf along with the amp. My 34yo daughter wants it, and my LP'S, all older than her. Hopefully, along with oil and a new belt Elvis and the Stones etc won't sound too bad. Perhaps Mike Jagger needs oil and a new belt too!

It appears to have exactly the same arm as my PL12D did, except yours is automatic. The headshell is the standard 'SME fit', so as Al says they are virtually universal.

Before splashing out on a new cartridge though, do check the cueing and arm balance functions all work properly. I believe the antiskate can eventually play up, but if it's still ok you have a decent deck.

gettingon

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
Thanks to you and Al for keeping me on the right track! The PL45-A was relegated to my shed decades ago after a party when the cart was nicked, since when I turned to CD's. It had been in good working order and I know I'm taking a chance but heart is ruling head here. A new Stanton 680 that Al mentioned seems to be unavailable now. The last cartridge I fitted, recorded in my manual in 1979, was a Shure M 75EJ type2 and I would appreciate recommendations for a decent new budget replacement up to £70 with an elliptical tip stylus .3,.7 that will fit the cheap headshell on order.

gettingon

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Nopiano, unfortunately I have already ordered a cheap looking shell for £6, your suggestion looks much better and if all goes well, I will upgrade to this. Have you any ideas for a replacement cartridge please?

gettingon said:
Thanks to you and Al for keeping me on the right track! The PL45-A was relegated to my shed decades ago after a party when the cart was nicked, since when I turned to CD's. It had been in good working order and I know I'm taking a chance but heart is ruling head here. A new Stanton 680 that Al mentioned seems to be unavailable now. The last cartridge I fitted, recorded in my manual in 1979, was a Shure M 75EJ type2 and I would appreciate recommendations for a decent new budget replacement up to £70 with an elliptical tip stylus .3,.7 that will fit the cheap headshell on order.

The headshell fittings are normally one standard size so just about any cartridge will fit in it.

My suggestion for your budget would be the Audio Technica AT-100E or for slightly more the AT-120EB, both are readily available from the likes of Amazon and others.

If you don't fancy those there is the Goldring Elan that can be had for around £80.

Note: although Shure still make very good cartridges most at the lower end of the budget are aimed at DJ's until you get up to the M97xE. This is a brilliant all-rounder but a bit above your budget, it can be had for around £99 if you look around and would be a good upgrade if you ever get the funds.

gettingon said:
Thanks Nopiano, unfortunately I have already ordered a cheap looking shell for £6, your suggestion looks much better and if all goes well, I will upgrade to this. Have you any ideas for a replacement cartridge please?
I'd have said much the same as Al has on cartridges. Stanton seem only to be DJ oriented these days. If you still have your old Shure, replacement styli are available. AT have a good range, and they sound quite punchy.

Something like this? an AT120? Can't enclose link as spam filter triggered Google Superfi.

nopiano said:
gettingon said:
I'd have said much the same as Al has on cartridges. Stanton seem only to be DJ oriented these days. If you still have your old Shure, replacement styli are available. AT have a good range, and they sound quite punchy.

Something like this? an AT120? Can't enclose link as spam filter triggered Google Superfi.

Don't know if I can place a link but the cheapest AT120 I can find is £87 from juno.co.uk, it is a little outside the OP's budget.

http://www.juno.co.uk/products/audio-technica-at120eb-dual-magnet-stereo-cartridge/542983-01//?currency=GBP&flt=1&gclid=CKn7sZq6kc8CFe0K0woddwYPjw

Al ears said:
nopiano said:
gettingon said:

Don't know if I can place a link but the cheapest AT120 I can find is £87 from juno.co.uk, it is a little outside the OP's budget.

http://www.juno.co.uk/products/audio-technica-at120eb-dual-magnet-stereo...

The AT100E is well within budget but obviously not quite as good.

nopiano said:
Agreed. Superfi price was £88 for the 120, which I thought was pretty good.

PS. Couldn't even quote your reply, Al, without spam trigger. (I must've been bad. Maybe mods can look at something?)

Aha! If they see this thread they can correct this. You could always contact them direct and ask to be put on the trusted member list. I am surprised you're not as this tends to happen to first time posters etc.

Aha! If they see this thread they can correct this. You could always contact them direct and ask to be put on the trusted member list. I am surprised you're not as this tends to happen to first time posters etc.

[/quote]I have been for ages, but just occasionally it crops up, seemingly at random.

D

Deleted member 108165

nopiano said:
I have been for ages, but just occasionally it crops up, seemingly at random.

Same here nopiano, guess it must be a random software glitch. I get the spam thing and also get blocked occasionally.

gettingon

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
Hi Nopiano you were so right, cueing,arm balance and possibly anti-skating were not working when I eventually got around to getting it going tonight. I suspect there is nothing I can do to fix it, what is your experience? I did manage to play a side of a Little Richard LP, sounded very good indeed, by pushing the tone arm down onto the vinyl but this would be too fiddly to keep using it like this. Fortunately the nice new cartridge I bought, the AT 120 Eb, shell and t/t belt are not wasted as I also have a Dual CS 503-1 t/t which I will upgrade. I may buy a new t/t for my daughter and will check WhatHiFI. I enjoyed playing the vinyl again and am now looking forward to working my way through my large vintage collection.

Sorry to read that. My experience is mainly from some years ago in a hifi store, when turntables were our "bread and butter" so I got to see a fair few neglected and clapped out models. They cannot last forever, especially when there is automation to add complexity.

Many old turntables I see on eBay have bits missing, but for buyers unfamiliar with the original, how would they know?

I'd happily recommend a repairer if I knew any, but regret I don't. Might be worth a bit of googling and ringing around on your part. Good luck!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts