Pioneer PL-12D

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

KeithT

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Ah, fond memories of the debate the used to run in HiFi Answers as to whether the PL12D was better than the Trio KD1033B or the other way around. David@Frank is right, the Shure was always the cartridge for the Pioneer, whereas the Trio tended to have an Audio Technica.

I was a Trio boy then a Rega then my Townsend Rock

Vinyl rules! :)

rjb70stoke

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
scottan said:
I hope someone here can help with my PL12D, just resurrected from the garage after I inherited it from my Dad. I am glad to hear all the praise as i remember it banging out Simon and Garfunkel many times back in the 70s! Straight from the garage, it powers up and the basic functions seem to work apart from the sound. Plugged into my Cambridge Audio amp, sound is there but very quite - i have to put the amp to full vol to get any decent sound. Any ideas what i need to do? I think it will need a new belt, oiling etc and maybe a replacement for the Shure M75ED but any views as to why its not amplifying? thanks

Ive just nabbed my Dads old PL-12D from Mums, because no matter what I do, I cant get The Boxer to sound how I remember it in the 70's. Neither CD or Spotify or AAC, just hasnt got the same scale that I remember from way back then.

I need to give it a bit of a service but other than that it seems in great order.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
chunky70 said:
I've just bought one of these on ebay for 40 quid. It looks in decent nick (from the photos anyway), and hopefully it will give me good playback of my old vinyl (currently gathering dust in attic). How good were these decks? Is there anything i should do to improve sound, bare in mind the deck is from 1973! I've bought a new belt but am a bit unsure of what modern cartridges would be compatable with this deck, also should i be thinking of servicing eg oiling of bearings. Thanks in advance.

A very good budget tt which could track some very good catridges I had 1 in1975 I hope it works ok I am sure it will a great machine in its day

A

Anonymous

The pioneer pl12d with it's standard shure m75ed cart are made for each other. if you hanker for a warm sound presentation and a nice rounded bass response, you can't go wrong with this combination. Different from a Rega with say, an ortofon or audio technica cart. If you don't want a bright and lively sound, and want to tame that treble, the pioneer pl12d with the shure m75ed or a nagaoka mp110 is a great way to go!

KeithT

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Great TT of it's time, in my study at school in the 70s a mate had one with a Sure and I had the Trio KD1033, I'm sure that mine was (of course) better but at the time the overall opinion was that the Pioneer was top dog. Enjoy the listening.

chunky70

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Have a AT440MLA cart on this deck now sounds wonderful. Have spent a fortune on vinyl in the last year all down to this 40 quid deck!

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Firstly, Chunky70, glad to have been of assistance; sorry I didn't say this back in July, but this site is a lot less alluring now it's become a dog's dinner..

Anyway, Cyclotron2012, what amplifier do you have? I'm assuming from your post that it doesn't have a Phono input, so there will be some further investment to be made.

Cyclotron2012

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Update

It seems I misunderstood my son - the problem is not the signal connection but that the turntable took its power from the back of the Sansui amp - I have confirmed this can be solved by simply replacing the odd two jack connectors with a standard mains plug, albeit with a small fuse.

Many thanks for replying

D

Deleted member 108165

Cyclotron2012 said:
Update

It seems I misunderstood my son - the problem is not the signal connection but that the turntable took its power from the back of the Sansui amp - I have confirmed this can be solved by simply replacing the odd two jack connectors with a standard mains plug, albeit with a small fuse.

Many thanks for replying

Please make sure that the power feed from the amp is 240V before you plug the turntable into the mains. My sister wanted to do the same with her old tt, (part of an old Aiwa system), and the turntable took its power from the Aiwa amp @ 12V DC!! Wasn't a problem as I had my old Project Carbon tt available so we just swapped her old tt out and mated the Project with the Marantz amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts