Pioneer PDP LX508D - advice please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm struggling to get a demo of this plasma at any of my local stores/dealers, non of them seem to stock it. With a price tag of around £3500 I certainly don't want to buy it blind from an online retailer. So I've got a question for the What HiFi team or anyone else with in depth knowledge of this screen. My mate has the Panasonic 42PX70 and SD content through a V+ box is very acceptable on this TV. How does the LX508D compare to the 42PX70 when viewing SD content? I know the Pioneer has Full HD and I'm sure HD content will be fantastic, but what about SD upscaled to 1080p through a V+ box. From what I've read, full HD plasmas can struggle with SD content but If it's as good as the 42PX70 I'd be more than happy.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It's not really comparing like with like - the Pioneer's a bigger, Full HD set, while the Panasonic's a lower-resolution (HD Ready) 42in set: despite the Pioneer having an absolutely exceptional scaler, chances are poor-quality SD might look slightly worse, especially if you sit really close to it.

(And on that note, i'm pretty sure the Pioneer will have a better scaler than that in the Virgin box, so set that to automatic and let the TV handle the upscaling).

The Pioneer PDP-LX508D is the best flatscreen you can buy, and deserves to be fed decent content! If you're thinking of a more SD-heavy diet, maybe the also-superb HD Ready-spec Pioneer PDP-508XD (now available for a smidgen over £2000) might be a better bet for you.

A

Anonymous

Hi Clare, Thanks for the info.

[quote user="Clare Newsome"] It's not really comparing like with like - the Pioneer's a bigger, Full HD set, while the Panasonic's a lower-resolution (HD Ready) 42in set: despite the Pioneer having an absolutely exceptional scaler, chances are poor-quality SD might look slightly worse, especially if you sit really close to it.
[/quote]

I realise the difference in resolution between the 2 screens and yes on the HD side you're right, it's not really comparing like for like, the Pioneer should be far superior with HD content. But in the real world, we still have to watch SD content and this is where my real concerns are. I'm being greedy you see and want the best of HD & SD content. ;-)

My normal seating position is around 10-12 feet from the TV so hopefully this would be OK with the SD content. What do you think?

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]The Pioneer PDP-LX508D is the best flatscreen you can buy, and deserves to be fed decent content! If you're thinking of a more SD-heavy diet, maybe the also-superb HD Ready-spec Pioneer PDP-508XD (now available for a smidgen over £2000) might be a better bet for you.

[/quote]

I'll look into the 508XD, but really wanted to buy the full HD for watching movies. How does the HD ready compare to full HD on a screen of this size?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts