pioneer pdp 428xd set up

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
HI

iv had the pdp 428xd for a week now and used the spyder tv to set up the picture,the results now give a better picture than the the factory settings, although the optimized setting for the colour is not to my liking the spyder optimized settings were as follows

brightness setting 1

contrast 39

colour 0

tint -15

colour temp Low

one of the last tests is a visual look at a picture of three girls faces and is suggested that if the last girls face is still not natural looking reduce the colour by around three steps.playing a dvd looks great,however SD broadcasts can still make reds over bright and face tones unatural.my personal colour setting is anywere between -3 and - 10 depending on the program content and which source is used ie, internal dtv tuner,cable tv tuner.or dvd.this is a great tv and worth every penny in my opinion.

Regards

gaza

A

Anonymous

I would check other forums (not sure if i'm able to say which ?) to get a more specific setup for your tv, although it's quite worrying that you're having problems after using that, isn't it a fairly expensive piece of kit ?

What's the general standard of the SD picture from that tv ? Is it good, a lot worse than a CRT / pretty much the same ?

Axum

A

Anonymous

If you are looking for some help on guidance for calibration I recommend that you look through the following:

The best technical review of HDTV's I've found on the net:
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Pioneer-PDP4280XD/

They also have a forum where settings are discussed and you may find the following links useful:

http://forums.hdtvtest.co.uk/index.php?topic=157.0
http://www.another site/forums/showthread.php?t=544315

The last one contains settings to apparently achieve D65 greyscale for a different range of inputs (Sky, Scart, Xbox, etc...). I've not tried them yet but hoping to soon, ordering my Pioneer very soon!!!

A

Anonymous

Sorry the URL did not display properly, What Hi-Fi appear to operate some automatic checking (and alteration) of links posted if people try to link to 'rival' (but I would argue supporting) sites.

Hope I don't get kicked off for this but try http://tinyurl.com/2ce238 instead...

A

Anonymous

Hi axum,davros,the picture quality of the 428xd is fantastic in sd mode,i have reset the setting again using the spyder and a different dvd player,the second calibration test is Brightness 3,Contrast 36,Colour 0,Tint -18,Colour temp low.having watched daytime tv (arrrrrg) and evening news on bbc and itv,my ideal colour seting is -10,this stops the reds from becoming to vivid and bleeding. without affecting other colours to much,the itv news had an item with fluorescent yellow jackets which looked natural against the background and the news presenters red jacket looked red without any bleed,the sports section showed different pitches and the green of the grass varid enormously, my main aim is to get natural looking skin tones,there is a difference between dvtv and analogue tv and cable,but this is to be expected,the picture quality from dvd is superb,(do i really need blueray)iv seen plenty of lcd tv and a few plasmas but i could not sit and watch for any length of time colours to bright and bleeding especially reds,i think the spyder was worth the money,iv yet to try my pioneer cld2950 laserdisc player when i recive new component cables.

Gazz

A

Anonymous

I used the sound & vision home theatre tune up dvd to calibrate my 428xd and found these settings best, contrast 33, brightness -3, colour +1, tint 0, sharpness 0 and colour temp low. Tint and colour seem to be miles out from other peoples settings that I've read on line and skin colour looks overly pink, I guess this can be turned down by lowering the tint. What is the Spyder? Does it cost much? I read on another forum the following settings:

"[Movie] mode in [Colour Space] 2 should be good enough for most people. For sports use [PureCinema] off and [Drive Mode] 2; for movies [PureCinema] Advanced and [Drive Mode] 3."

Is it possible to change these settings in the "movies" or "sport" modes on the Pioneer? Currently I've only changed them on "user".

A

Anonymous

OK, after reviewing several web sites, mostly this one and HDTVtest, dicussing with Pioneer, reading and re reading the manual and using the sound & vision home theatre tune up disc I've come up with the following settings. I mostly watch movies and sport. Let me know what you think.

Drive Mode: 1

AV selection: Movie

Contrast: 31

Brightness: -5

Colour: 0

Tint: -3

Sharpness: -13

Pure Cinema: Off

Text Opt: Off

Intelligent Mode: On

DRE Picture: Mid

Black Level: On

ACL: On

Enhancer Mode: 2

Gamma: 2

Colour Temp: Low

CTI: Off

Colour Management: Default

Colour Space: 1

Noise Reduction: All turned off

A

Anonymous

I was advised today by a Pioneer dealer that via the TV's set up it allows you to choose the Scaling for things such as SD? Have you come across this?

A

Anonymous

There's no setting for scaling that i've come across, they could be refering to the drive mode, which the manual doesn't give much information on, or it could be the Pure Cinema they're refering to which seems to interfere with the progressive or interlaced signal from the source. I let the source do the scaling, let it pass through my amp without further scaling to the screen.

Does anyone else have any info on this?

A

Anonymous

Hi mv,most of the setting are the same as mine,except

av selection,standard

contrast,36

brightness, +3

colour,-3

tint,-15

sharpness,0

pure cinema,standard

colour space 2

iv used the spyder tv calibration tool,this is an electronic colourimeter which is an electronic eye to measure black,white,colour,tint ,colour temp,contrast,ect.the information is fed to a computer via usb cable analysed with the software to give optimized settings these are supposed to give better results and take less time than using human eye although one of the last tests on the test dvd use the eye to give more lifelike skin tones ,this is done as most tv s are produced with a red push.

iv tride your setting but find that the colours are to bright,loss of detail in dark areas,

have you tride the before and after facility page 34 in manual

all these settings are set using the internal digital tuner

are you aware that you can alter the setting of the digital and analogue tuners independently.

after all this its down to personal taste

Regards

Gaza

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Tallyho"]

I was advised today by a Pioneer dealer that via the TV's set up it allows you to choose the Scaling for things such as SD? Have you come across this?

[/quote]

I tried playing around with the scaling on the Sky HD box last night to see how the screen reacted. If you change from anything other than 720p the HD box automatically changes back to 720p, however I'd always rather have a progressive signal than interlaced. I'll try with an upscaled dvd to 1080p and let you know what happens. I think it will probably do the same, but i'll have a go anyway. Pioneer told me that with a true HD 1080p signal the Pioneer will keep as 1080p, but as I'm waiting for Denon to bring out their blu ray players before buying anything so I can't test this yet. Maybe someone else can help with this??

A

Anonymous

[quote user="gaza"]

Hi mv,most of the setting are the same as mine,except

av selection,standard

contrast,36

brightness, +3

colour,-3

tint,-15

sharpness,0

pure cinema,standard

colour space 2

iv used the spyder tv calibration tool,this is an electronic colourimeter which is an electronic eye to measure black,white,colour,tint ,colour temp,contrast,ect.the information is fed to a computer via usb cable analysed with the software to give optimized settings these are supposed to give better results and take less time than using human eye although one of the last tests on the test dvd use the eye to give more lifelike skin tones ,this is done as most tv s are produced with a red push.

iv tride your setting but find that the colours are to bright,loss of detail in dark areas,

have you tride the before and after facility page 34 in manual

all these settings are set using the internal digital tuner

are you aware that you can alter the setting of the digital and analogue tuners independently.

after all this its down to personal taste

Regards

Gaza

[/quote]

Hi Gaza,

I'm not sure what you mean by altering the settings of the digital and analogue tuners independently?? Please can you explain? I'll have a go with your settings this evening.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

You guys are saving me a bit of time and effort. Thanks!!

My Panny arrives 13 Nov (I'm counting the days!) . I've got the DVE dvd plus the freebie THX disc that another mag is giving away. I'll try my discs, and eyes, and report back. I think Gaza should lend us his Spyder tv. Seems a bit mean keeping it all to himself !! 'About the Mag' thread seems to point to more on this calibration business.

Beats the hell out of the HDMI cable row in the 'Home Cinema' forum.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Hi mv, if you switch on tv to an analogue tuner press home buton ,picture ,then adjust the settings as required,then press the TV/DTV button press home ,picture, then adjust settings as required,you can have two sets of settings i dont have sky but the digital settings also apply to my cable.this is handy as if you watch a program and switch between analogue and digital there is a differance in picture quality,so settings can be set to get as near to optimum setting for both analogue /digital as you require .

Gaza.

ps .got my spyder from dabs £130.although iv now been told that it loses its calibration and cannot be re set?

A

Anonymous

Well, I've just spent some more time with a THX optimiser and got some different settings. The colour and tint figures look strange but give a really good picture. I'll leave them like this for a while.

contrast: 35

Brightness: -3

Colour: +6

Tint: +1

Sharpness: 0

The Pioneer does take a 1080p upscaled signal from a SD DVD player, I can't see much difference in performance better or worse so I'm going to keep it at it's native resolution.

David, you're not wrong about the HDMI cable row.

Right, I'm off to the show.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="mv"][quote user="Tallyho"]

[/quote]

I tried playing around with the scaling on the Sky HD box last night to see how the screen reacted. If you change from anything other than 720p the HD box automatically changes back to 720p, however I'd always rather have a progressive signal than interlaced. I'll try with an upscaled dvd to 1080p and let you know what happens. I think it will probably do the same, but i'll have a go anyway. Pioneer told me that with a true HD 1080p signal the Pioneer will keep as 1080p, but as I'm waiting for Denon to bring out their blu ray players before buying anything so I can't test this yet. Maybe someone else can help with this??

[/quote]

I can get my 428 to display 1080i from Sky HD.

R

A

Anonymous

Let us know how the show was for you. I'm going Sun p.m. so any tips on what to see/miss please pass on.

A

Anonymous

A couple of questions for you 428xd 'old hands'.

What settings do you recommend to reduce motion blur? I've come straight from CRT so this is a new phenomena for me.

When I input select from the remote for my PS3 and I am playing up-scaled dvds, the Pioneer screen display (top right corner) shows hdmi, 1080p, 36bit at first but after a couple moments it settles on 576p. When I put a Blu-ray disc in, it goes through the same routine but settles on 1080p. Is my PS3 upscaling? Is my Pioneer not recognising this? Is this normal? I am on PS3 firmware version 2.0.

Any help would be appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts