Pioneer N50a slow startup time

amach197782

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

Is there any way to speed up the Pioneer N50a? Start-up time is painfully slow (about 1 minute). I discovered its predecessor had a quick boot option. Is anyone aware of a similar option in the current model?

The player could really do with a jog shuttle or program feature. It's not easy to select an album or track via an external hard drive. Also, there is no continuous play if files are stored in folders. Is there any workaround?

I could use a 5 metre usb cable any control it from my pc. I was hoping for a streamer which I could easily access my music whether my pc is on or not.

Thanks in advance.

Gray

I know you came looking for answers, but there are some questions for you:

Presumably you're talking about the start up time from standby? and not from fully off?

As for selecting / playlisting tracks for continuous play. What about the Pioneer app? Are you using it?

I read one N50a user review where he thought the app was poor, but surely it allows you to search and playlist files from an external HDD? - by using a phone, tablet or PC? Are your albums stored each as a separate folder? Hopefully you at least get continuous play of all the files within a folder?

When considering a streamer purchase I looked at the N50a and CA CXN. I can see how the dial on the CXN would help navigate the on-screen display, but you're still limited by the number of display lines on the small displays. That's why the control app on an external device is the answer for most people.

Your last sentence is surely the reason why anyone would want to buy a streamer - you shouldn't have to have your PC on to use it. If you do use a control app, you should at least be able to use the PC to control the N50a wirelessly and not have to think about 5m USB cables (which, almost certainly, wouldn't be a control option anyway)

amach197782

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
I may over-estimated the start-up time (probably closer to 30 seconds, from standby). Still very slow to compared to my old Sony CD player. I have a used the app a few times but I don't have a spare ethernet port on my powerline adapter at this time. The app is an improvement but not as convenient selecting a track from Musicbee.

Continuous playback works within folders. However, all my CDs are in individual folders to preserve artwork and their sequence. I thought it would be easier to scroll through my albums from the streamer than selecting CDs.

Connecting my desktop via the USB DAC may be best option at this time. I'm usually at my PC when listening to music.

Regards,

P

Gray

All I can say is that you can certainly expect it to take longer than your old CD player to start up.

No consolation but I think quite a few people will tell you that 30 seconds isn't that bad for this sort of device (which can be a bit too clever for their own good)

You've stored albums the logical way, each in their own folder with album art.

I decided to use a Raspberry Pi as a streamer. Having seen my (quite large) music library laid out on the RuneAudio app I use, I can certainly see how the small screen on the N50a (or that on the any other streamer) would be less than ideal - I'm not seeing enough and you're seeing less - even though you can, eventually, scroll to find it on the little display.

I've often found, like you, that flicking through the physical discs is quicker than scrolling a display to find one!

I've used Foobar 2000 to play files from PC via DAC to amp and I can see why you might prefer to play from the PC - still think it's a shame that you're not totally happy with your streamer.

At least you (hopefully) only paid about half as much as you could have done for the CXN - which is the one I'd have gone for if it had been the £350 I've seen the N50a for - rather than the somewhat ridiculous current CXN price of £800.

TRENDING THREADS