Pioneer / Monitor Audio

A

Anonymous

ouch!!Be careful,wallpaper stripper.I've never got on with the Pioneer sound,too thin,brash for me,and match to the bright MA will probably be quite a screechy sound.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Not only would that system sound too bright, the speakers wouldn't do the electronics justice, either. I'd think along the lines of KEF's IQ5 SEs (£400), or - if you can stretch to it - B&W 685s (£380 plus decent stands).

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I would have a listen to new Pioneer range....silly. I thought they were easy on the ears in kinna Cyrus sound but not as good resolution and badly needed some bass welly.

A

Anonymous

To add another option. I ended up with some Dynaudio Audience 42's which sound good, IMHO anyway, with this setup.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for all the answers.

I only heard the A-A6-J amplifier and thought it sounded exactly like the Rotel RA-04.

I never heard the player but I did take a listen to the B&W 685 and didn't like them as much. I prefer the MA BR2.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I would urge you to hear the whole system, as the Pioneers' slightly strident character is only amplified (no pun intended) with both components in action.

I'd also consider whether your room is similar to the demo-room you heard the kit in - do you, for example, have wooden floors rather than carpets? This can make systems sound on the brighter sound, too.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
So if I combine the Pioneer amplifier with my Marantz SA7001 CD player it will (maybe) not too bright ? It's only when the 2 pioneers are combined ?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
You got it - it's the black-magic of system matching. Take your Marantz along with you to audition the amp and see how they fit together.

As we said in the original review of the Pioneer player and amp (June issue): "System-matching is paramount when auditioning (the Pioneers) - we felt the high frequencies were a definite concern when we formed the CD player and amplifer into one system".

And i'd also try and hear those KEF iQ5SEs with the Pioneer - or the Monitor Audio Bronze BR5, which shares the same pacy personality as the BR2s you like, but will be more capable of curbing the Pioneers' treble.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks again for the reply. I would love to audition the Kef IQ5SE, but I don't know when they will be available in Holland.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It's better in all areas, and definitely worth spending twice as much on, if you have the money, of course. It'd make a much better companion to the Pioneers than its baby brother (in fact it was exactly the speaker partner we recommended when we first reviewed the Pioneer amp/player).

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks again Clare. I will check out the Monitor Audio BR5 soon. I love the sound of the BR2 and thought the BR5 only added more bass. But if they are so much better..............I'm definitely going to audition them.

A

Anonymous

I'm building a 5.1 setup with B&W 685s at the front, driven by an Onkyo TX-SR705 receiver. I'm looking for a CD player to add, to go through the Onkyo. I originally wanted the Marantz CD6002 but it turns out that Marantz no longer have a distributor in Ireland (where I live) so thought about the Pioneer PD-D6-J.

I probably won't be able to audition this setup, so can anybody tell me how these components are likely to work together?

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

hey jp if it helps check out munstersounds.ie down here in cork he sells marantz, CD6002 is priced at 400 euros - also he has ad in this mag

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Sorry Clare to dig this old post up but I'm interested in buying the Pioneer combo. Would the Jamo C803 bookshelf speakers be a compliment to the Pioneers? My lounge is 17ft x 12ft and carpeted but we are planning to extend it in the future also. Would this set up be too big for the room?

Many thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts