Pioneer Kuro with PS3 - settings to reduce damage?

camdxr

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I had my PDP LX508D since new and lovingly cared for and fed with the best sources possible. The time has come to finally take the plunge and hook up a games machine. (Sons visiting for Christmas).

I must admit I have been one of those affected by the scaremonger myths associated with plasmas and games. I've searched this forum and found conflicting views: some say IR is a myth; others say it happens and can be "cleaned" by showing a snow screen after use.

Once and for all can someone form WHF tell me if I am about to damage my £4300 purchase for good? If not (hoping) can you please provide some suitable settings for the PS3?

Many thanks

Cameron.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Don't know if that generation had a "Game" display mode, the 9G models do. Otherwise, just knock the brightness and contrast down (ideally until he can't see anything at all and then he won't play it!).

camdxr

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
Wouldn't it be better to not risk it and press some other TV or monitor into service? (I am assuming you don't just have a 50" Kuro as your only screen.)

In an ideal World yes but current situation of TVs is not ideal. The very fact that your reply does indicate some risk would be enough for me to not use it. Unless someone has a definitive answer as to whether damage will or will not occur?

The Pioneer does have a game setting as one of the picture modes, is this sufficient?

camdxr

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Don't know if that generation had a "Game" display mode, the 9G models do. Otherwise, just knock the brightness and contrast down (ideally until he can't see anything at all and then he won't play it!).

Defo has a game display mode, just checked, will this be enough to prevent damage?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
camdxr said:
The_Lhc said:

Defo has a game display mode, just checked, will this be enough to prevent damage?

Not if he sits there with the same image on the screen for 12 hours no, but for general game play I don't think you'll have a problem. I would point out I don't play games however, but plenty of people use plasmas for game-playing, so I think you're worrying unduly. If you want to cause screen burn you can, but you'll have to be really stupid to actually manage it. Be sensible with it and you'll be fine.

camdxr

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Paul Hobbs said:
No expert on these tv's, but my dads Kuro has an 'Orbital' function that rotates the pixels. Does your TV have this mode, or have I missed the point a bit?

Not sure on this, I'd have to check.....

My OH has been playing PS3 games on our 9th generation Kuro regularly for over 30 months now, with no IR or screen burn. Plasmas, due to their better refresh rates, are more suitable for gaming. I have never heard of the 8th or 9th generation Kuro affected by IR.

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
I had a PS3 hooked up to a 4280XD (42" from same generation) and happily gamed on it for hours with no adverse effects. I would say the 8G and 9G Pioneers are probably the most resilient consumer plasmas ever made when it comes to retention and burn-in. As long as you're sensible and don't leave a static image up for 6 hours straight, you should be fine.

I'd leave it in movie mode (I don't think it introduces any significant lag) and I'd keep the brightness to about 0 or +1 and contrast to around 30 ie. sensible settings. Whatever you do, stay away from the dynamic mode - but then I'm sure you already know that.

If you're still worried, only let him play for about two hours at a time and then switch over to regular tv viewing for an hour or two. It's overkill but it will at least give you peace of mind and might prevent to spending Christmas with a zombie.

A

Anonymous

I have the 42" model and use a PS3 on it with no problems. Can have a game running for a whole evening and no IR. Plasma is in movie mode and PS3 has screen saver on where if left alone for a while it automatically dims the screen - works well. I remember people being paranoid about TV station logos being burnt in if they watched the same channel for a day...

Oh, and be prepared, once a gamer plays a game on a 50" Kuro you will NEVER get them off it...

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Used to play both PS3 and Xbox 360 on my Kuro (5090) and had no issues at all - whereas I now regularly play on my old Panny plasma ( all have been moved to the "games" room!) and that often suffers from a bit of IR. However, I've never had any issue with permanent screen burn on either.

camdxr

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Thanks everyone

PS3 duly connected via HDMI and Movie mode selected, much lower contrast then the game mode, all seems well at the moment, fingers crossed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts