Pioneer Kuro Purchase

old hornet

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi

I have the opportunity to purchase a used Pioneer PDP-428XD Kuro.Is it better than the new plasmas coming out this year or iam i waisting my money.Reading the reviews its the dogs -----

cheers

old hornet

A

Anonymous

When you say 'used' is that ex demo 12 hours a day or a family member or friend with normal use.

If the latter then I would pay that for it - mine still wipes the floor with most at double that price !

One minor thing - there are 2 models of the 428 and the XD is the better spec one so it is definitely the XD model ?

As most reviews stated at the time - when 720p is this good who cares that it is not full HD !

I am waiting to see what the new Panasonics are like as I now need a 50", but again if I could fall on a Pioneer 5090 or KRP500 then I would buy tomorrow without hesitation. If the Pana's are not so great then I will be holding onto my 428 for some time to come.

Regards.

A

Anonymous

its surely not new ? im not sure at that price if id buy one , the panasonic 42g20 will probably be better imo ..wont be long before they are under £800..

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
I would say it depends a bit what you're going to watch. My 4280XD is fantastic for HD and SD TV, via Sky HD - I've yet to see a more natural picture. I watch loads of sport and it's great for that. BBC dramas still in SD, like Spooks, look very good indeed.

The Kuro upscales DVD (I send them at their native resolution) very well. This is important because I'm interested in the quality of the film above all!

I send a 1080p signal from blu-ray and the PQ has many virtues - colours, black levels, very good definition. In many respects, it's still the best. However good the picture might be, it isn't quite as sharp as a full HD set, though. Overall, it's really excellent (Avatar looks spectacular) but edges are just a little soft.

So there you are - the Kuro suits my present viewing admirably. It's a wonderful TV and I won't be changing it until I'm fully convinced by a new generation full HD set. You'll have to decide whether it fits in with your needs too!

I believe the Kuro's are overall still the finest sets around (i use a couple of these screens in the shop). Although i have found them a pain in the neck to set up as i spent many months finding the picture balance so as to give the sharpness and tight feeling look of a CRT without ruining the Kuro values.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts