Pioneer Kuro club members - anyone sold their TV yet?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
You did manage to shoot a brilliant video showing the blacks Panasonic is capable of. :)

Cheers BB. I have done quite a few now on YouTube, stuck some on AV too.

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
gel said:
bigboss said:
You did manage to shoot a brilliant video showing the blacks Panasonic is capable of. :)

What picture setting are you using on the TV are you using THX Cinema?

Hi

At present I am on normal factory settings - I am still running and checking everthing is okay. These ones are sceptical to image retention so I am being very careful. I like all the settings I have to say though except dynamic on this plasma. I do like THX cinema though and will experiment some more soon. I have one that does not buzz either - so I am a happy bunny.

D

Deleted member 2457

No 50hz issues to report either.
smiley-cool.gif

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
ellisdj said:
gel said:
bigboss said:

Hi

At present I am on normal factory settings - I am still running and checking everthing is okay. These ones are sceptical to image retention so I am being very careful. I like all the settings I have to say though except dynamic on this plasma. I do like THX cinema though and will experiment some more soon. I have one that does not buzz either - so I am a happy bunny.

Have you read the review that I linked to - they do review tv's very indepth and they was bang on with calibrating a Kuro (getting best out of) and they say THX Cinema is very close to a full calibration i.e. the best the screen can do

Do you not have settings like orbitor on Kuro to stop image retention / screen burn, there must be somethign similar?

I didnt think you had to worry now days with plasma - unless you are running extreme high contrast ?

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
gel said:
ellisdj said:
gel said:
bigboss said:

Hi

Have you read the review that I linked to - they do review tv's very indepth and they was bang on with calibrating a Kuro (getting best out of) and they say THX Cinema is very close to a full calibration i.e. the best

Do you not have settings like orbitor on Kuro to stop image retention / screen burn?

I didnt think you had to worry now days - unless you are running extreme high contrast - light output ?

Hi

Yep - read it. Yeah it has an orbitor and it is on. I am currently on my third set because the first two were buzzing loud and the first one got image retention too. I currently am going to rotate between normal and THX cinema to see which I prefer. First couple of hundred hours of this plasma in use, people on the forums recommend being seriously careful with regards to image retention though. But to be honest even if I do get a little, I would live with it, because what is the alternative.

I had the Pioneer lx5090 but got screen burn mark in a straight line from top right, down to the bottom. This was down to using a cheap Sony blu ray player - unbelievably but true. Before it was fine, attached the Sony 480 I think it was and noticed a line down turned it off burn mark still there on the green screen. But when warming up and down it used to click a lot so I still manage to sell it for £500, sold my Sony and bought this and the vt30 this smashed the vt30 - easily so I sent it back.

D

Deleted member 2457

This is on a par with the Pioneer lx 5090, but I do prefer this one - just!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
gel said:

You are big screen super unlucky - my LX5090 buzzes a bit but other than that its been flawless.

If you watch orbitor depending on the mode you select it dims the picture then restores it continuoulsy - how have you managed to burn several sets????

What contrast are you running - was you running on the LX5090 - you must have burnt your eye balls out as well :shifty:

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
gel said:

You are big screen super unlucky - my LX5090 buzzes a bit but other than that its been flawless.

If you watch orbitor depending on the mode you select it dims the picture then restores it continuoulsy - how have you managed to burn several sets????

What contrast are you running - was you running on the LX5090 - you must have burnt your eye balls out as well :shifty:

You know you have the three settings the screen ones on looking after the screen. Can't remember the names. But I just ran on normal settings and rotated between the three to start with but the manual recommended setting one, so I just kept with that, but I had to go down to number two because it helped with the clicking noise.

Image retention I have no idea because I never pause, I don't play games, sky sports news where the writing stays put is the one that these Panasonics don't seem to like. But I have been watching it on this one and it does seem okay.

With regards to the Pioneer that was just a one off, got the Blu-ray player from Marks tried taking them with trading standards but in the end got no where. Got two independent people out to see it but neither would write the report. Last time I buy a cheap blu ray player! It did happen that way though.

With the Panasonic even being careful you still could get it.

D

Deleted member 2457

This Panasonic has the green screen like the Pioneer. My friends and family all prefer the Panasonic, they also like the slim frame, sound is decent too.

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
gel said:
This Panasonic has the green screen like the Pioneer. My friends and family all prefer the Panasonic, they also like the slim frame, sound is decent too.

What do you mean by green screen??

When you look at the TV not on the screen looks greenish - same as the Pioneer. And when I got a black screen burn it really showed on the screen. When the TV is on it is not green just off.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
ellisdj said:
gel said:

When you look at the TV not on the screen looks greenish - same as the Pioneer. And when I got a black screen burn it really showed on the screen. When the TV is on it is not green just off.

I have never noticed my screen looking green - I will be checking shortly.

I did get a late model, I bought it right before they stopped selling them, most places were sold out I got lucky to get it - dont know if that makes any difference.

I dont think I could part with it either - I like the slim bezel and the screen being flush with the bezal as well of new screens - but there is just something special about the Kuro I think its the overall package with it. I have seen things on other screens that look better - I have not seen the Panny 50 range in the flesh, not properly so this may change, but I have not seen a screen the outperforms it over a period of watching. Its the shape of the screen, the way it moves and the solidity of every image and - its effortless in its presentation of everything

The first time I calibrated it with contrast on 38 me and my cousin sat there in awe of the thing for about 2 hours just trying different blu rays - I had never seen anything like it - such is the difference of a calibrated monitor - I thought it was good before but after it was like having a brand new tv all over again - that excitement where you just to try everything blu ray you can think of

He has a Panny 50G20 and a Pioneer LX08 - same blu ray as you - he is used to a good screen but even he was amazed.

He has his calibrated now and it does some amazing things as well - the Panasonic screens I think have more pop than the Kuros and your seems to have a very glossy image which is very nice

davidvann

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
hi all,looks like i might lose my lx508d,the repair company are playing games with me,they have told me that they have put in a new pannel ,but the screen looks rubbish ghost banding on the left and right side of the screen ,very grainy and firing white pixels they put this down to the virgin signal ,but it was never there before i put another tv on after they left but had no problems with the picture from virgin.They took the screen away again and week later i phoned them for an update only to be told that there was nothing wrong with it,another repair man look at and said the same,i asked him to look for the faults that i had seen,he said it was fine .They told me that they would call me to drop the tv back,but in the end i called them as no phone call,then they told me that they were waiting from pioneer for some technical information,that was over a week ago,phoned them again and was told still waiting to hear from pioneer ,they have been fobing me of with diffrent excuse every time i have phoned them.They first they told me they did'nt fix pioneer tv's it goes back to pioneer ,then i was told by another repair man that they do.i spoken to the d&g and they have told me if they can't fix the tv they would replace it for a panasonic vt 50,i know that dose'nt sound so bad ,call me mad but i would still rather have my pioneer.

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
gel said:
ellisdj said:
gel said:

I have never noticed my screen looking green - I will be checking shortly.

I did get a late model, I bought it right before they stopped selling them, most places were sold out I got lucky to get it - dont know if that makes any difference.

I dont think I could part with it either - I like the slim bezel and the screen being flush with the bezal as well of new screens - but there is just something special about the Kuro I think its the overall package with it. I have seen things on other screens that look better - I have not seen the Panny 50 range in the flesh, not properly so this may change, but I have not seen a screen the outperforms it over a period of watching. Its the shape of the screen, the way it moves and the solidity of every image and - its effortless in its presentation of everything

The first time I calibrated it with contrast on 38 me and my cousin sat there in awe of the thing for about 2 hours just trying different blu rays - I had never seen anything like it - such is the difference of a calibrated monitor - I thought it was good before but after it was like having a brand new tv all over again - that excitement where you just to try everything blu ray you can think of

He has a Panny 50G20 and a Pioneer LX08 - same blu ray as you - he is used to a good screen but even he was amazed.

He has his calibrated now and it does some amazing things as well - the Panasonic screens I think have more pop than the Kuros and your seems to have a very glossy image which is very nice

You can tell when the sun light is strong in the room more, a very darkish tilt to the screen.

D

Deleted member 2457

davidvann said:
hi all,looks like i might lose my lx508d,the repair company are playing games with me,they have told me that they have put in a new pannel ,but the screen looks rubbish ghost banding on the left and right side of the screen ,very grainy and firing white pixels they put this down to the virgin signal ,but it was never there before i put another tv on after they left but had no problems with the picture from virgin.They took the screen away again and week later i phoned them for an update only to be told that there was nothing wrong with it,another repair man look at and said the same,i asked him to look for the faults that i had seen,he said it was fine .They told me that they would call me to drop the tv back,but in the end i called them as no phone call,then they told me that they were waiting from pioneer for some technical information,that was over a week ago,phoned them again and was told still waiting to hear from pioneer ,they have been fobing me of with diffrent excuse every time i have phoned them.They first they told me they did'nt fix pioneer tv's it goes back to pioneer ,then i was told by another repair man that they do.i spoken to the d&g and they have told me if they can't fix the tv they would replace it for a panasonic vt 50,i know that dose'nt sound so bad ,call me mad but i would still rather have my pioneer.

Yeah I wouldn't part with a Pioneer unless you had to. Not seen the Vt50 yet though.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
davidvann said:

Yeah I wouldn't part with a Pioneer unless you had to. Not seen the Vt50 yet though.

I dont think I would shun a VT50 as a replacement - that is quite fair of them to offer that as thats the best they can offer really.

Is the LX508 1080p ?

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
gel said:
davidvann said:

I dont think I would shun a VT50 as a replacement - that is quite fair of them to offer that as thats the best they can offer really.

Is the LX508 1080p ?

I would not shun it either bad choice of words.
smiley-smile.gif
Just Pioneer is still great TV. Yeah I think that is the model that is 1080p.

davidvann

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
hi all, lx508d is 1080p,dont get me wrong i would be greatful to get a tv like the vt50 as iv'e heard great reviews about that tv,i have only seen a gt 50 running,to be honest i thought that it was only on par with my tv when it comes to the picture quality not bad for a five year old screen,thats why i would hate to part with it just yet. i know the panasonics have some great features on it like 3d and internet.To be honest i dont think the repair company has the skills to fix my tv as they are not pioneer authorised engineers, i live in hope,the last 6 weeks have been murder without my tv.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I owned a GT50 for a few days, and I have to admit that the blacks on it were blacker than my LX508D. I had the Pana on THX Cinema Mode (I think), and the picture was clear, crisp, and with great blacks. I've never seen a LX5090 or KRP500 in action, so I can't compare the Panas with them, but I will say the blacks were so much better than my LX508D, that they must be on a par with the KRP, if not better. It does have a stunning picture.

But though I had a fleeting relationship with a Panasonic, my heart is still Kuro.

davidvann

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
hi all,i'm sure that the panasonic tv's are great and i'm sure they might now have the edge on the kuro ,but when we try to compare the tv's ,dont forget are pannels are almost five years old,next a new pansonic tv they would look better,i wonder would it be the same if the kuro's had new pannels fitted??. maybe we have forgotten how are tv's looked when they were new.it such a shame pioneer stopped making tv's.

davidvann

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
hi all,on the thought of losing my lx 508d,i have gone about looking at reviews of diffrent tv,s to try to find a replacement for my tv,pretty all the reviews are still using the kuro tv as a bench mark to which others are compared to,after five years of the kuro, you would of thought the kuro would be miles behind in the picture quality department.it must be frustating for the other tv companys to have there tv's compared to a five year old set.if i do lose my tv ,it will be sad times,but at least i can say that iv'e had one of the best tv's ever made .long live the kuro.

D

Deleted member 2457

davidvann said:
hi all,on the thought of losing my lx 508d,i have gone about looking at reviews of diffrent tv,s to try to find a replacement for my tv,pretty all the reviews are still using the kuro tv as a bench mark to which others are compared to,after five years of the kuro, you would of thought the kuro would be miles behind in the picture quality department.it must be frustating for the other tv companys to have there tv's compared to a five year old set.if i do lose my tv ,it will be sad times,but at least i can say that iv'e had one of the best tv's ever made .long live the kuro.

Hi

I would say the GT50 is on par if not better than the Pioneer lx 5090, so definitely a good place to start looking and the VT50. Should be interesting to see how you rate them. They do look better at home than in the shop.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts