PIONEER KRP-500A 0R ......ALTERNATIVE ?

m.j

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
I AM GETTING A NEW TV TOMMOROW !
AND IM NOT SURE IF IM MAKING THE RIGHT CHOICE .
CAN YOU HELP ME PLEASE
IVE HAD MY EYE ON THE PIONEER KRP-500A FOR A FEW MONTHS , BUT WANT TO KNOW IF ITS WORTH THE MONEY?
OR IS THERE AN ALTERNATIVE YOU WOULD RECOMMEND

THANKS PEOPLE

A

Anonymous

Hi,andrew do you think anyone is going to get close to pioneer this year on picture quality as i am just waiting on the new panasonics to see.

Sc00bied00

Sep 3, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Yes, worth every penny.

Have to agree there, I just purchased one over christmas and very happy with it, if your quick you will qualify for the 5 year guarantee, Pio's web site states up to the end of this month, though I'm not sure if there are other alt's to this or if it has been extended. Make sure you get the silver card from the dealer so you can register for the warranty. Once reg'd on the web site and having gone through the reg for the extended wnty you get a reference number to send with the card.....

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:You haven't seen a Sony KDL46X4500 then?? The dynamic RGB LED backlight technology has moved the LCD game on considerably. Its a fabulous set and very very close to the Pioneer in performance.

Yes the Sony is a similarily good tv but its smaller and equally/more expensive, depending on where you buy it. Still, they have different pluses and minuses.

The Sony has more 'pop' to its picture and can be adjusted to be brighter, the 500A is more 'natural'. Its simplifying the subject as both can be set to similar levels (brightness apart).

I got the 5090 and am largely happy with it. If you have a bright room and watch a lot of day time tv the sony is worth considering.

There have been comments about the pioneers not being 'sharp' enough. IMO not true. Pin sharp with the right material. I believe some sony's (not sure about the xseries) have non-defeateable edge enhancement which does exactly that but it does'nt actually improve detail.

A

Anonymous

Sony love edge enhancement youve only to see some photo taken with a sony digital camera! it a love or loath thing imo! same as LCD tv's or plasma's depending on which side of the fence you sit...BIG generalisation coming up but, LCD brighter slightly more detailed picture, Plasma more natural(real) colour reproduction and a less proccessed looking picture, blacks less crushed

A

Anonymous

Get the Pioneer! IMO, it's still better than the X/Z Sony TVs. I've been itching to upgrade my 42 inch 428XD to the 50 inch 500A but the economic crisis has put that on hold for now until the price drops further...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
simoncar:Hi,andrew do you think anyone is going to get close to pioneer this year on picture quality as i am just waiting on the new panasonics to see.

Until we get the tellies in and get testing, it would be pointless to speculate.

m.j

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
THANKS FOR THE ADVICE PEOPLE
SPENT ALL DAY TRYING OUT THE 500A VS 5090 VS SONY 46Z4500
AND THE DIFFERENCE TO ME IS SUBSTANTIAL ! I LIKED THE SONY AS I DEMOED THAT FIRST, BUT WHEN THE 5090 CAME OUT I NOTICED THE BLACK LEVELS THAT ARE OFTEN MENTIONED ! AND THOUGHT THE COLOURS WERE FANTASTIC , THE PICTURE DID SEEM SOFTER THAN THE SONY , BUT NOT WORSE JUST DIFFERENT ,
FINNALY I GOT A DEMO OF THE 500A AND STRAIGHT AWAY IT SEEMED SHARPER , MORE FOCUSED AND REALISTIC.
THE KRP500A IS MORE EXPENSIVE BUT I THINK ITS WORTH IT

AND THE MEDIA RECIEVER IS A GREAT ADDITION , MAKING THE TV SLIMMER ..64MM

IT GETS DELIVERED TUESDAY !!

A

Anonymous

m.j:THANKS FOR THE ADVICE PEOPLE
SPENT ALL DAY TRYING OUT THE 500A VS 5090 VS SONY 46Z4500
AND THE DIFFERENCE TO ME IS SUBSTANTIAL ! I LIKED THE SONY AS I DEMOED THAT FIRST, BUT WHEN THE 5090 CAME OUT I NOTICED THE BLACK LEVELS THAT ARE OFTEN MENTIONED ! AND THOUGHT THE COLOURS WERE FANTASTIC , THE PICTURE DID SEEM SOFTER THAN THE SONY , BUT NOT WORSE JUST DIFFERENT ,
FINNALY I GOT A DEMO OF THE 500A AND STRAIGHT AWAY IT SEEMED SHARPER , MORE FOCUSED AND REALISTIC.
THE KRP500A IS MORE EXPENSIVE BUT I THINK ITS WORTH IT

AND THE MEDIA RECIEVER IS A GREAT ADDITION , MAKING THE TV SLIMMER ..64MM

IT GETS DELIVERED TUESDAY !!

Good decision!! Bet Tuesday seems like a million years away!

A

Anonymous

Hi did you get a good price on the 500a and did you buy online or shop localy,thanks.

m.j

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
i got it locally ,from hughes of all places i paid £2299 with the free 5 year warranty, went to my local sevenoaks (where i might add i have spent at least 10 grand over the last 4 years , and they were not interested in price matching or offering a deal with hdmi cable /wall brackrt/etc.
disapointing given the loyalty i have shown them over the years , but hey , its their loss.
the staff in hughes were friendly ,helpful and genuinly intrested in giving a good experience.

2 days till delivery

cant wait !

m.j

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
i just had a call from the delivery people , and they said on route 1 hour for delivery ! and now it seems time has stopped !

A

Anonymous

You must have your set by now!

Please let me know if you can hear panel buzz on this set and what the freeview performance is like. I got my 5090 on Friday and notice break up on ITV and loud panel buzz on freeview and Blu ray. I have set the power management to mode 2 which is supposed to cure the problem!

If the 500A does not have these problems I will consider exchanging and paying the extra £400ish.

If the 5090 is anything to go by, you will be very impressed with the 500A. The picture doesn't stand out as sharp with blu ray just fantastically realistic. Some sets show pores in faces etc. but un-naturally, the pioneers do look excellent.

Please post your findings soon!

A

Anonymous

As a fellow KRP-500A owner I reckon an easy way to the best picture 'out of the box' is to ignore all the automatic picture tweaks and simply set the Pioneer to Pure mode. The resultant image isn't quite perfect - well, it's not quite as good as a proper ISF calibration - but it's miles closer to accurate than any preset mode I've seen on any rival TV. Of course if you want to tweak (and let's face it, you probably will) you can get it even better, but for an easy first stab at an accurate picture, you can't go wrong.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Cooney:

Please let me know if you can hear panel buzz on this set and what the freeview performance is like. I got my 5090 on Friday and notice break up on ITV and loud panel buzz on freeview and Blu ray. I have set the power management to mode 2 which is supposed to cure the problem!

If the 500A does not have these problems I will consider exchanging and paying the extra £400ish.

If the 5090 is anything to go by, you will be very impressed with the 500A. The picture doesn't stand out as sharp with blu ray just fantastically realistic. Some sets show pores in faces etc. but un-naturally, the pioneers do look excellent.

The 500A and 5090 'buzz' exactly the same whatever people tell you, a visit to a few owner forums will easily confirm this. I have seen/heard both side by side and can confirm this. Some are just more susceptible to it than others plus its highly directional so even a few inches of movement can almost completely eradicate it. Wall mounting can also increase the noise due to rear reflection off the wall but the sound actually also comes through the single glass sheet at the front. I don't find it a problem and only a minor negative compared to all the other things the product does very well. Regarding picture quality the two are nigh on indistinguishable bar the pure setting but all sets need very slightly different tweaks to get them right.

The lx5090 (and 500A) picture is actually pin sharp and shows just as much detail as any 'enhanced' lcd as some of the sony's. What it does'nt do is artificially enhance edges though that can be done too. For good sharpness without processing side effects simply set sharpness at 0 (forget the -15 often mentioned in forums, it really softens everything too much. I know that some ISF calibrators claim that -15 is actually 0 on the pioneers and that everything after that is artificially enhancing the picture but try it for yourself if you haven't done so already).

I use mine on standard setting for a clearer more vivid picture, all noise reduction and processing turned off. Colour space on 1 but colour turned down to -5 in the main settings panel. Contrast down to 37 and colour temperature to mid-low. Again this takes some of the yellow out and gives whiter whites. Just the way I prefer it but perhaps worth trying if you find the set not sharp enough or lacking pop.

Again, we all have different ideas of what looks good and natural. I for example found the 'starter' settings suggested on a particular owners forum by one of their resident calibrators dull and lifeless.

m.j

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
have tried all settings and all sources and no panel buzz whatsoever.

amazing tv . so glad to be rid of my lcd

emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

drummerman:Cooney:

The 500A and 5090 'buzz' exactly the same whatever people tell you, a visit to a few owner forums will easily confirm this. I have seen/heard both side by side and can confirm this. Some are just more susceptible to it than others plus its highly directional so even a few inches of movement can almost completely eradicate it. Wall mounting can also increase the noise due to rear reflection off the wall but the sound actually also comes through the single glass sheet at the front. I don't find it a problem and only a minor negative compared to all the other things the product does very well. Regarding picture quality the two are nigh on indistinguishable bar the pure setting but all sets need very slightly different tweaks to get them right.

The lx5090 (and 500A) picture is actually pin sharp and shows just as much detail as any 'enhanced' lcd as some of the sony's. What it does'nt do is artificially enhance edges though that can be done too. For good sharpness without processing side effects simply set sharpness at 0 (forget the -15 often mentioned in forums, it really softens everything too much. I know that some ISF calibrators claim that -15 is actually 0 on the pioneers and that everything after that is artificially enhancing the picture but try it for yourself if you haven't done so already).

I use mine on standard setting for a clearer more vivid picture, all noise reduction and processing turned off. Colour space on 1 but colour turned down to -5 in the main settings panel. Contrast down to 37 and colour temperature to mid-low. Again this takes some of the yellow out and gives whiter whites. Just the way I prefer it but perhaps worth trying if you find the set not sharp enough or lacking pop.

Again, we all have different ideas of what looks good and natural. I for example found the 'starter' settings suggested on a particular owners forum by one of their resident calibrators dull and lifeless.

Thank you for your response. My settings are similar to your own. I set up using a THX optimiser disc then altered colour (-4) to suit, sharpness at 0.

I find the buzz very distracting but alsohave a freeview fault on mine so expect a replacement soon. Why do dealers insist on pioneer visiting and 'proving' the set faulty? The contract is with the dealers!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts