PIONEER class D amp (A50 & A70) users?

paulhh1967

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys, first Happy X-Mas to you all.

I have a pair Monitor Audio GX50 standmounters eating dust over an year now in the loft. They are ways to good for that treatment.....so.....i want to build a class D set-up with them. Why Pioneer class D? I'm very charmed about the looks and building quality these two amps have. I have searched in and around the city i live in (Haarlem in the Netherlands), but no Hifi store have them, only the cheaper a10, a20 and a30 models. I only saw in one shop the PD50 cd player.....and wow that's a beautiful made player. The A50 & A70 took my interest more and more since then.

So my questions (and i hope there are A50 & A70 users or heard them good) are:

-is there any difference in sound between the A50 and the A70?

-is it the price worth (A50 costs 480 euro/400 pnd) for buying the A70 (costs 270 pounds more= 800 euro/670 pnd)?

-will the PD50 cd player sound better analogue on the A50 or A70, or better digital only for the A70?

I don't give a d@mn for the computer usb, better housing etc the A70 have over the A50, sound quality is the only thing that matters for me. Is the A70 a step up above the A50 and his 270 pounds more worth?

Please only serious answers....i mean by saying; pricier don't have to be better if it isn't so.

Thanks, Paul

matthewpiano

All I can say is that the A-30 is incredible for a budget amp (better than any of the others I've had) and if the A-50 and A-70 are even better they will be fabulous.

I'm also interested in hearing more about the Class D models.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
All I can say is that the A-30 is incredible for a budget amp (better than any of the others I've had) and if the A-50 and A-70 are even better they will be fabulous.

The A50 and A70 do use a different type of digital amplification to the A30, and is based on the amplification used in their SCLX87.

matthewpiano

David@FrankHarvey said:
matthewpiano said:

The A50 and A70 do use a different type of digital amplification to the A30, and is based on the amplification used in their SCLX87.

Hi David. Yes, I understand the A30 is class A/B and the 50 and 70 are class D, but what can you say about the difference in sound?

Merry Christmas BTW.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Hi David. Yes, I understand the A30 is class A/B and the 50 and 70 are class D, but what can you say about the difference in sound?

Merry Christmas BTW.

Merry Christmas mp :)

The A30 is based on the Class D type amplification that was produced for their older AV receivers like the SCLX73 and 83.

The A70 has been Air Studios tuned (the A50 hasn't) so there will be some difference in sound, despite the same rated power output. The A70 just seemed to be more in control of the speaker (the main speaker I compared the two with was the LS50).

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
paulhh1967 said:
I don't give a d@mn for the computer usb, better housing etc the A70 have over the A50, sound quality is the only thing that matters for me. Is the A70 a step up above the A50 and his 270 pounds more worth?

Please only serious answers....i mean by saying; pricier don't have to be better if it isn't so.

Whether it is worth the £270 difference is something only you can answer. Some will say yes, some will say no, depending on the individual's criteria.

matthewpiano

David@FrankHarvey said:
matthewpiano said:

Merry Christmas BTW.

Merry Christmas mp :)

The A30 is based on the Class D type amplification that was produced for their older AV receivers like the SCLX73 and 83.

The A70 has been Air Studios tuned (the A50 hasn't) so there will be some difference in sound, despite the same rated power output. The A70 just seemed to be more in control of the speaker (the main speaker I compared the two with was the LS50).

Pioneer's own literature suggests the A30 is class A/B, not class D

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Just to clarify - Pioneer use the 'Direct Energy' moniker on their AV receivers and the A10, 20 and 30. It doesn't state anywhere though that these amplifiers are any type of Class D design. Direct Energy is something Pioneer originally developed for their Class D receivers, and seem to have applied the same application to their entry level hi-fi amplifiers, which appear to be Class A/B. Although again, this isn't stated anywhere...

So, my apologies for any confusion.

utomo

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Some people say that class D sound quality is not good enough. And can not beat class A.

Yes class D use lower power, and did not produce too much heat

matthewpiano said:

Hi Matthew

I've heard the A-70 and one of the other two although I can't remember whether the amp was an A-30 or an A-50. I was impressed with the A-30/A-50 however the A-70 was clearly a better sounding amplifier.

Having said this as good as the A-70 is however the A-70 is still not in the same league as their truly great A-400.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

paulhh1967

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:

Hello David,

could you tell me more about the difference in sound between them? Which one was better with the Kef's? Is it really a big difference???, i mean the A70 is Air studio (European tuned) the A50 isn't....but is it complete different, say A50 is less warm? brighter?

Hope you know the answers.

Best regards, Paul

paulhh1967

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
This is the only test/reviews i could find of the same hifi-magazine on internet. It's from Belgium, and they tested the A50 and the A70 (i'm Dutch so i translated it for you all) ;)

A50 gets 4,5 star out of 5 and this is what they say:

-precise, detailed and lively sound, good stereo image, spacious soundstage, doesn't get hot (class D)

taut rhythmic bass but a bit weightless, neutral representation with no distinct accents.

Conclusion: an amp that brings music with realism, lively, very detailed and dynamic. A serious candidate to be high on your list.

A70 gets 4 star out of 5 and this is what they say:

-powerful dynamic amp, fresh and sparkling sound, direct character, fantastic build quality,

energic and sparkling in high registers, punch in the low registers, more refined details, soundstage more 2D than 3D, direct and strict sound

Conclusion: an amp that will give you lots of detail, fast and dynamic, the very detailed direct and strict character will be analytic with wrong partnering speakers.

Hmmmm:? the A50 better :doh:

corm

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi Paul,

í heard them both last week and picked up an A-50 after the listening session. Why? the A-70 plays with a lot of energy and digs deep for detail in the high regions. Combined with a transparent bright sounding ls, this would be absolute nervous, agressive and tiring listen. The A-50 sounded to my ears more in balance, nothing is exaggerated. The A-50 is leaner in the bass, the A-70 has more oemph. Last thing i want to mention over here, the A-70 with PD-50 sounded analytic when digitally connected, analogue sounded better.

manicm

paulhh1967 said:
This is the only test/reviews i could find of the same hifi-magazine on internet. It's from Belgium, and they tested the A50 and the A70 (i'm Dutch so i translated it for you all) ;)

A50 gets 4,5 star out of 5 and this is what they say:

-precise, detailed and lively sound, good stereo image, spacious soundstage, doesn't get hot (class D)

taut rhythmic bass but a bit weightless, neutral representation with no distinct accents.

Conclusion: an amp that brings music with realism, lively, very detailed and dynamic. A serious candidate to be high on your list.

A70 gets 4 star out of 5 and this is what they say:

-powerful dynamic amp, fresh and sparkling sound, direct character, fantastic build quality,

energic and sparkling in high registers, punch in the low registers, more refined details, soundstage more 2D than 3D, direct and strict sound

Conclusion: an amp that will give you lots of detail, fast and dynamic, the very detailed direct and strict character will be analytic with wrong partnering speakers.

Hmmmm:? the A50 better :doh:

Correlates 100% with WHF's review of the A70. Note they also gave it 4 *s.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The A50 generally goes for around £399, which makes it half the price of the A70. While the A70 is better, the A50 is better value for money, and is the cheapest amp around (available new) that I would use with the LS50. As a next step up in high efficiency amplification, I'd be looking at the Primare I22.

paulhh1967

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
The A50 generally goes for around £399, which makes it half the price of the A70. While the A70 is better, the A50 is better value for money, and is the cheapest amp around (available new) that I would use with the LS50. As a next step up in high efficiency amplification, I'd be looking at the Primare I22.

In Holland the A70 costs £650, the A50 is £400. So the A70 costs £250 more (about 300 euro's). I'm still in doubt between them :?

But: i bought a PD50 yesterday :dance: What a good looking player is this. Heavy, great build and nice working tray. The remote (part is made from alu) is great and heavy too. I bought the silver one, found it better looking than black. They don't have the A70 or A50 in the shop, i have to order it. I wish i could hear them both nearby.

I was also looking at the netplayers N30 and N50, i saw at first sight no difference between them (the A50 was only a little bit heavier and has digital connections at the back). If i only listen to internet radio, is the N30 then a better choice? I will save £125

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
paulhh1967 said:
I was also looking at the netplayers N30 and N50, i saw at first sight no difference between them (the A50 was only a little bit heavier and has digital connections at the back). If i only listen to internet radio, is the N30 then a better choice? I will save £125

The N50 has a better DAC than the N30. If you're using the analogue outputs from the streamer, the N50 will be a better choice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts