pioneer bdp lx55 or bdp450

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

My current dvd player is getting too eratic for me and I think it's best days are gone, it is a Pioneer dv656a.
This was bought originally for multidisc playback and I would still want these features.
My options seem to be the 2 players mentioned above as I don't use the player all that often and do not really want to spend a fortune.
I see very few players that have mutichannel outs now so I guess this will have to be done by coax or hdmi, my current av amp does not support hdmi.

From reading a few reviews on other forums the 45o seems to have some noise issues and firmware problems !
From this I saw that the older lx55 didn't have the noise issues and is still an excellent player although slightly more expensive.

I would be buying online and thinking this is probably the right one for me but just wanted to know if the issues of the 450 are being over exaggerated, is it a much better player than the lx55, are there other options I should consider?

I would not want to spend more than £300, sacd playback is required, dvd a I don't really want to lose as then I could go with a Sony.
I do not do 3d, sound quality is more important than picture quality,I am sure I will be amazed by the upgrade in picture performance from my current Pioneer.

Any help, thoughts, hugely appreciated, thanks for reading.

megatombomb

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
From what ive read the 450 would seem to represent insane VFM. From my understanding it uses the same upscaling tech for DVD's as the much heralded Oppo BDP105. I would be suprised if any player can vary much in terms of Blu Ray picture performance.

Audio is of course another matter. I have owned both a Denon DBP2012ud and (briefly) an Oppo BDP105 (again so highly regarded for audio you'd expect perfection almost). What i have found is that the double cost of the Oppo compared to the Denon actually didnt result in better 2 channel music but overall at least to my ears.... worse.

I think you would be wise to go for the 450 over the LX55 as its newer and has received higher praise in the press and spend the £100 on some lovely Blu-rays or whatever takes youre fancy!

Hopefully actual owners of these players will help make this easier for you than i have lol :roll:

Off topic i would like to hear what you think of your'e Roksan Caspian M2 cd/amp & Proac Studio 140 Mk 2 combo as its a setup i had been considering myself!?

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

Thanks for all input, much appreciated, will probabaly look at the 450 this week, cheaper is always a bonus.

Just a quick couple of further points, I will still be able to get normal 5.1 using coax/optical ?
Most listening I do is two channel but still want the option, i understand will not be hi res which brings me to which players if any still do analogue 5.1 for multichannel sacd/dvda ?
I assume any will probably be much higher in price, I know there was the Cambridge Audio one, will have a look at ebay.

Regards my Caspian M2/ Proac system I am still very happy with it, I think it is quite bass heavy but most listening is done at lower volumes so this is very important to my tastes, if I could play the system louder I may have chosen different speakers such as the D18, my room accoustics shaped my choice quite a lot.

I still puts a big smile on my face anytime I listen to it and one of my neighbour's treats is coming over for a good listen,the amp is terrific, it was one of the easiest decisions I made and spent 9 monyhs of listening and getting very confused before I found what was right for me.
At the time I wasn't really aware of the forum here which may have helped but feel free to ask anything so can hopefully be of some help,

Thanks again for everyones advice.

greycounciller

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Hi Shanka. I'm a BDP 450 owner (You may have seen some of my posts around on forums!) and my unit is very good indeed and don't see me replacing it for a while.

I bought mine to replace my ageing DV 600 multi format unit and it betters it in every way.

The only issues I had with it was the odd crashing when using network features.

Pioneer recently released a firmware update for it which seems to of sorted this as I'm this very minute using those features and no problems what-so-ever.

Sound quality and picture wise, it's very good.

I was using it with an older Sony STR DG910 and have just upgraded that to a Yamaha RX V673. The sound is better in a 'clarity' kind of way,

My DVD-A's and SACD's are given much better separation and imaging has better focus.

Load times are quicker than my older DVD player and so far, this played all I've put in it.

Noise wise, my unit is silent. The worst I got is with a new CD which came in a cardboard type gate sleeve (Can't remember the right name for them) and was no doubt warped because it was so tightly wrapped.

Where you will get noise is because the top case is fairly light and what vibration there is, travels straight to this cover. I believe with the LX55, it has dampening panels within it's construction adding to it's weight and quieter operation.

My only minus point, which will always remain, with the unit is making the remote an all black affair. Impossible to see in the dark.

My unit was bought multi region for £220 and I believe it's more or less available for just under £200.

This to me reflects a fairer price of what the unit is worth and must be on your list to buy.

Hope that helps.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Great, that is very good to hear, the player will only get used evry couple of weeks so not wanting to go mad on spend.

With regards to sacd/dvda are you playing these via hdmi through your av amp ?

My big old Sony does not have hdmi so would probably use coax or optical, currently it is connected by analogue outputs.

Thanks again for all the help.

Shanka said:
Just a quick couple of further points, I will still be able to get normal 5.1 using coax/optical ?

Yes you will. My mistake, sorry for the confusion. If you are using optical, ensure your Blu-ray player's digital output menu option is set to PCM audio. In turn, this allows the equipment to downgrade the digital signal to one that is compatible with older 5.1 receivers.

Most listening I do is two channel but still want the option, i understand will not be hi res which brings me to which players if any still do analogue 5.1 for multichannel sacd/dvda ? I assume any will probably be much higher in price, I know there was the Cambridge Audio one, will have a look at ebay.

I'll check. What's your budget?

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Hello Shanka,

I was going to triumphantly mention the Panasonic DMP BDT-500 as a Blu-Ray player that does indeed have 7.1 multichannnel analogue outputs and costs about £250, within your £300 budget. BUT, it does not play SACDs, which you require. I'm sorry, but as far as I know you will have to increase your budget to £500 in order to get the Oppo 103EU, which I think is the cheapest player that has 7.1 outputs AND plays SACDs.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for reply, £200-250 tops, I was looking at cambridge bdp 650 on ebay which went for £213 but if the price is that close to the Pioneer I may as well get new.

However maybe the Cambridge is vastly superior it got rave reviews when it came out, maybe that was good value ,I really don't know much on blu ray players.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
May or may not help but 5.1 is adequate, I couldn't fit 7.1 let alone afford the speakers and my amp is only 5.1 however I doubt that makes much difference.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi again,

Have found a Cambridge 650bd on ebay for £250 so £50 more than the Pioneer 450 but does have multi channel outputs, this is supplied by Richer sounds so I get warranty.

Does anyone have any experience of this machine, it got good reviews and ticks all my boxes, what might the Pioneer improve on if anything, I am more concerned in audio performance and don't require 3d.

Any input hugely appreciated, Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts