Pioneer A-400X Amp and paired up Pioneer PD-S703 Compact disc player

Shildondurham

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Im currently looking at buying a bit of fresh kit and have been looking at a couple of lower budget seperates and a couple of micro all in ones.

just out of interest how do you feel about buying something like this set up? Its well in budget was classed as decent quality and quality lasts doesn't it?

Or is it to old to risky to backward? should i opt for new technology and stop being tight?

answers on a postcard!

K

keeper of the quays

Shildondurham said:
Im currently looking at buying a bit of fresh kit and have been looking at a couple of lower budget seperates and a couple of micro all in ones.

just out of interest how do you feel about buying something like this set up? Its well in budget was classed as decent quality and quality lasts doesn't it??

Or is it to old to risky to backward? should i opt for new technology and stop being tight?

answers on a postcard!

sounds good to me..decent cables...decent speakers! Sorted! Re backsliding...i don't buy into new must be better..what speakers you gonna use?

Shildondurham said:
Apparently it has had very little use since new was bought on a whim and is in very good condition.

Currently have celestion dl4s

That's something. I find it hard to believe someone buys a CDP like that and then 'hardly uses' it.

Age will do damage whether used or not. However glad you're enjoying these classics.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Shildondurham said:
Pioneer A-400X Amp and paired up Pioneer PD-S703 Compact disc player

I would go for a standard A400 over the X version as it's a better amplifier. I like the PD-S series of stable platter cd players the only thing is, it's old (circa mid 90's I think), lasers are obsolete now, the one bonus is they are cheap. Don't pay any more than £130 - £150 for the pair in pristine condition though.

matthewpiano

A400 is a brilliant amp, but they are getting old and I've come across a couple of flaky ones. I have one still, but there is an intermittent problem with channels cutting out, which I believe is not uncommon. Despite cleaning the volume/balance control, the issue persists, so you might need to put a little aside for servicing any A400 or A400X you pick up.

Also bear in mind that the Stable Platter mechanism on the PD-S703 utilises a belt, and this may need replacing given the age of the machine.

Old Dex

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Shildondurham said:
Hmm im back on buying new i think. Whas the x version a lower spec amp then?

A400X user here from new in around 1995 iirc. It was supposed to be the updated A400 which stunned the hi-fi world in punching way above it's weight. I've been told many times that the "X" doesn't sound as good as it's ancestor. Upsides are that it has slighter higher output and is capable of bi-wiring which the A400 didn't. I don't like the split vol pot rather than a dedicated balance but other than that it's given no trouble (famous last words).

It's also straight through, volume only, and has an excellent phono channel.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts