Pioneer A-400 or JVC A-X9/7?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Sorry if I'm creating quite alot of new threads - on holiday so I'm trying to make the most of it! ;-) I think most of you have heard of the Pioneer A-400. Now I have narowed down my new amplifier choices down to either the pioneer or the JVC A-X9 or A-X7. The JVC is not so widely known. The A-X9 had 100watts per channel in 1979 was a Super Class A amplifier and was the top of the range intergrated amp between '79-'82. I love the look of it and I'm quite fond of JVC stuff, but the ratings the Pioneer gets keeps on persueding me to get one. It is also a bit cheaper and much more common. The only problem is, many people say that the Pioneer is quite forward and harsh...this is not the sort of sound I like...when partnered with my other hi-fi stuff (see my signature) which are rather relaxed components, would it still sound harsh? Many people also say it has a rubbish phono stage...not what I want to hear...I do not wish to change turntables so a good phono stage is a must and I know the JVC has a good one of these. So the million dollar question...how good IN THE REAL WORLD is the Pioneer? Is it overrated? Or is it really that good? All the best,

A

Anonymous

One of my mates had a pioneer and when we compared it to my Cyrus 1 we couldn't declare a winner.
I reckon a Cyrus 2 plus same era PSX would cost about 200quid and would blow it out of the water. As would an Audiolab 8000a - which might suit your tastes better by the sound of it.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I have compared the second hand A-400 with a Mission cyrus 2. (I own both). Both are very good highly detailed and transparent amps. I find the Cyrus 2 to be a little brighter in my system with a tight, well defined but ultimately thinner bass which does not quite suit my JBL 20T speakers.

My daughter uses the cyrus 2 with tannoy mercurys (lucky her!). I am happier with the A-400 (a superb amp.

I think the Cyrus 2 might need a bit more careful matching and with different speakers may well be the preferred amp.

Now -for the future- a Sugden A21 se 2, Cambridge 840A or a Primare 30 (i think) amp ?

A

Anonymous

Cool, thanks for your advise! I cannot see what would be particularly wrong with the phono stage, I wouldn't be using an MC cartridge anyway and that is apparently where the problem lies. The Cyrus, i'm sure, is an incredibly good performer, but I'm not sure I quite get the external power supply thing or the compactness of it. I'm not quite sure where I would stand with it!

The only other amp I could think of is the also legendary NAD 3020...but I cannot see 25watts driving my floorstanding speakers...and the design is not to my taste.

The JVC, it seems, no one has heard of on this forum, or atleast heard one in action. If there are any of you out there, please tell me what it is like. The good thing about it is that I can buy matching components such as a cassette deck and tuner very easily, where as the Pioneer equipment doesn't seem to be appearing on ebay so frequently.

Thanks to all! I will keep you informed on my decision!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
My dad has my old Pioneer A-400 connected to a Project Debut III and an Arcam 5 plus CD. It sounds very nice and I think the sound is nice and relaxed as long as your speakers aren't really bright.

A

Anonymous

I always considered the Cyrus 1 to be a cheap good amp, rather than a good cheap amp, if you see what I mean. When partnered with price comparable front end and speakers all it did was show the weaknesses of them and generally sound bright and harsh, partnered with something better, and while still compromised, it managed to convey much of the music and benefit of the better kit. It's like the front end needs to exert sufficient control on the highs and lows to stop the amp going over the edge. And it doesn't go loud at all gracefully - which is where I think the 2 probably scores, especially with a psx - more power!
As I said though, don't forget the audiolab 8000a, I changed from my Cyrus 1 to one of these and the change was very dramatic and very noticeable - especially in the bass department which became much fuller while still staying controlled. I certainly wouldn't swap it for either a Cyrus or a Pioneer.

A

Anonymous

The only thing that puts me off the Audiolab 8000a is that some people find it "dry"? Dry sounds a bit Rotel to me, a bit Cambridge Audio...the complete opposite to NAD and Arcam - or is it not?

A

Anonymous

I think "clinical" is the more usual expression used, but it's not something I find to be honest, although my front end is a Sondek which probably counter-balances any such tendencies anyway. To be honest it's going to be entirely dependent upon the rest of your system - and this goes for the brightness people often associate with Cyrus too. I found that the Audiolab gave me all the resolution and dynamics/attack of the Cyrus but in a more balanced overall package - the bass remained tight but became fuller. From what you said I think you might prefer that.
Oh - for a Cyrus, if you were to go there, make sure you go for a Mk2 with the cast chassis rather than the sheet metal one.
As for the Arcam thing - when I auditioned the Arcam Alpha against the Cyrus 1, I found it almost unbearably boring! The Nad 3020 is simply inferior in almost every way to any of the other amps here, great in many ways though it is - it's a solid notch down from a Cyrus 1 let alone a 2 or the other amps discussed. IMHO!

A

Anonymous

Ha ha ha, I won't be going for the NAD then! Thanks for your advise! Looks like it's a battle between the Pioneer and the Audiolab then!

A

Anonymous

:)
Before somebody leaps - I don't think the NAD 3020 is in any way a bad amplifier - in fact I think it's a great one - arguably a benchmark product for its price range. Just the price range at the time was a hundred quid less than the cheapest other amp here, each of which was also (arguably) a benchmark product for its price range. My bother had one and it made genuinely enjoyable music. As I said - IMHO!!!

A

Anonymous

IMHO your probably right! I've already offended the BBC ls3/5a bregade before on a certain site, I claimed the Wharfedale E-series was better - I even put IMHO....but there you go....Lol....

A

Anonymous

'fraid you just can't win on the web - so many people seem to revert to being 13 year old brats that you can't appease or avoid them all. Of course I'm occasionally just as guilty as any but that's no reason not to carp...

A

Anonymous

"The best form of argument is courteous argument". A proverb which I try to abide by... ;-)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts