Pioneer 120 or sony bdp-s360 Bluray?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

I was hoping someone could give me some advice? I have a Pioneer PDP - 428XD Plasma and I'm looking to buy a bluray. I dont really want to spend more than £150 and I was wondering which of the Pioneer 120 or sony bdp-s360 are better for my tv. A guy in Superfi recommended I opt for the Pioneer bluray because it matches my tv. I was wondering if this was true? Also, the reviews I have read for the Pioneer bluray aren't great.

Any advice would be appreciated as would any other options.

Thanks.

It matches your TV???
emotion-7.gif
What are the advantages? The Pioneer 120 is essentially a Sharp player in Pioneer clothing. There are hardly any reviews of the Pioneer 120. I would opt for the Sony S360 which has consistently good reviews.
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks bigboss. The chap was telling me the pitcture would be better using the Pioneer because its the same technology?!!

Fisherking 145

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
I bought a 360 two weeks ago, and have been more than very pleased with my £120 from HMV purchase. Compared to my Sony recorder, upscaling of DVD's has been a revelation. Oh, and it doesn't match my Sammy TV
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi

I am toying between both of these (well the Sony 363 to be exact). Both are around about same price

After a bit of research I'm tending towards the Pioneer, and my thoughts run something like the following

Pioneer has facility for local storage of BD-live material, Sony 363/360 doesn't. I think BD-live is in its infancy, but why go out of my way to avoid something properly set-up for it.

I don't have a Pioneer telly, but do have a pioneer Reciever.

OK I accept that the notion of Pioneer working better with Pioneer is flawed, but I have to say that I have been unimpressed by the the absolute interoperability of the HDMI-control standards between brands (Kuro-link, viera-link, Bravia-whatever). As a practical point I'd be more confident in getting my Pio Receiver remote to control the 120, than the 363.

Whilst this is a HiFi forum and aesthetics might not be the foremost decision-making factor, these will be items of furniture, and the asethetic mathc of the 120 with my reciever is also relevant.

I could be wrong, and I should disclaim a bit of anti-Sony sentiment anyway..

And if WHF get around to reviewing the Philips 9500 and its as good as it looks on paper, I may be tempted to increase my budget by factor of 3 to plumb for that.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Sorry - you are incorrect. The BDP-S360 and 363 both support BD-Live, should you wish to use it. Personally, I've yet to find much worthwhile in that direction. As stated above, the Sonys are much better machines than the Pioneer. Regarding remotes: Kuro-link etc is decidedly flaky. However, the addition of a Harmony remote will make a huge difference to the ease of use of your system. It may seem like a luxury, but it's my best buy from the point of view of family-friendliness.

A

Anonymous

If you check the fine print for the specs of the 360/363 you'll see that while it claims BD-live functionality, and has a USB port, it specifically doesn't facilitate local storage of any web-based material. While my exposure to BD live is minimal, and I entirely agree with the view of its worthwhileness currently, my understanding tis that this would limit the Sony to streaming/on-demand content only with no local buffer of disc-specific material, which is the way BD-live may or may not be heading.

Agree with comment on harmony remote, (on my long wish list) probably don't agree with superiority of all Sonys over all Pios.

You've got the concept of "local storage" wrong. For BD live feature to function, it needs a certain amount of storage space within the player. The high end models have in-built storage (usually 1GB) for the same, while the lower end models like the Pioneer 120 AND the Sony S360 have a USB port in which you have to attach a USB storage device (about 1GB) to access BD-live content.

Both Pioneer 120 & the Sony S360 have exactly the same facility for BD live storage function. There's no difference between them.

A

Anonymous

Hi

Thanks for tthe effort in trying to steer me, interested in how I'm getting it wrong

If I check 360 specs

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/blu-ray-disc-player/bdps360b.cek#pageType=TechnicalSpecs

I see a line 'Local Storage for BD live ..... NO"

So if I interpret you correctly, that is Sony's way of telling me they don't include a USB drive in the box, but if I buy a USB drive it would work for local storage. Seems like an awfully silly way of telling me that, and I think it reasonable to interpret that as not having local storage functionality?

Also, as you seem familiar with Sony, I have a wired Ethernet point convenient for whichever BD player I buy, so I'd be interested in your views of whether the significant price difference between 360 and 760 buys anything other than WiFi capability

Treidlia:

So if I interpret you correctly, that is Sony's way of telling me they don't include a USB drive in the box, but if I buy a USB drive it would work for local storage.

That is correct.

Treidlia:

Also, as you seem familiar with Sony, I have a wired Ethernet point convenient for whichever BD player I buy, so I'd be interested in your views of whether the significant price difference between 360 and 760 buys anything other than WiFi capability

Yes, it does. The S560 is basically an S360 + wi-fi. But the S760 borrows the "HD reality enhancer" technology from Sony's high-end flagship model, the S5000ES, apart from having analogues; useful if you have an old receiver that doesn't have an HDMI port.

A

Anonymous

bigboss:Treidlia:

So if I interpret you correctly, that is Sony's way of telling me they don't include a USB drive in the box, but if I buy a USB drive it would work for local storage.

That is correct.

Treidlia:

Yes, it does. The S560 is basically an S360 + wi-fi. But the S760 borrows the "HD reality enhancer" technology from Sony's high-end flagship model, the S5000ES, apart from having analogues; useful if you have an old receiver that doesn't have an HDMI port.

That would be your precise question answered in the latest issue - figured you would have known that, really.

GoogleSearchIconShadow.gif
SuperSearchIconShadow.gif

A

Anonymous

one thing i noticed , the 360 is better at upscaling dvds than the ps3 , at least to my eyes....

A

Anonymous

ah yes , his tv should be very good at scaling , the g10 isnt fantastic at scaling actually bb , one of its few weakness...

A

Anonymous

samsung are very good , im not really sure about the rest , the kuro is the only one thats actually better than any external scaler , as you have often informed us
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts