Pink Floyd - The Wall remastered discovery 2011 edition

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Webern

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I only have the original vinyl record of the Wall, but I must say it still sounds superb, a few minor scratches notwithstanding! I'm old enough to have bought it when it was originally released - I can remember the excitement of taking it home for the first time. It has a secret message on the "Empty Spaces" track which can be heard by playing it backwards - now that's something you can't do with a CD!

For this old-timer, DSOTM will always be the ultimate Floyd album, though I love WYWH and Animals.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Don't know to be honest. However, with my system, I tend to find remastered cds to sound a little mechanical compared to the original pressings. I know some of that is the combo of Leema/MAs, but I prefer, generally, the solidity of the original.

Does that relate to The Wall remaster or remasters in general? I don't see how anyone can make a blanket statement about all remasters, they're all different (as are the originals).

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Personally I found '1st generation' CDs of albums originaly recorded in analogue to be very hit and miss, presumably because of the comparatively-primative ADC technology used during the digital transfer. Just to be safe, I would always go for a 1990s/modern remaster, were it not for the annoying DR compression on many (all?) modern remasters. This blurs the issue and makes the choice far less arbitary. I suppose the only thing which can be said is that if you really don't like a particular master, you can always eBay it and try a different (earlier/later) one :)

That said I'm still waiting to hear a CD of DSotM that I really like. I bought the first pressing and the most recent, and I don't really like either of them compared to the LP.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
That said I'm still waiting to hear a CD of DSotM that I really like. I bought the first pressing and the most recent, and I don't really like either of them compared to the LP.

What don't you like about the Discovery edition of DSOTM (the most recent)

BenLaw said:
plastic penguin said:
Don't know to be honest. However, with my system, I tend to find remastered cds to sound a little mechanical compared to the original pressings. I know some of that is the combo of Leema/MAs, but I prefer, generally, the solidity of the original.

Does that relate to The Wall remaster or remasters in general? I don't see how anyone can make a blanket statement about all remasters, they're all different (as are the originals).

No - I did say "Don't know to be honest". So not referring to the 'Wall', but every remastered cd I have - quite a few - they all tend to be over crisp or sound a little cold compared to the original. As normal you're picking holes in every little thing I write.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
BenLaw said:
plastic penguin said:

No - I did say "Don't know to be honest". So not referring to the 'Wall', but every remastered cd I have - quite a few - they all tend to be over crisp or sound a little cold compared to the original. As normal you're picking holes in every little thing I write.

The best remaster I've heard in a long time is Graceland, have you had a chance to listen to that? If not it would be interesting for you to get a copy and see if we agree about that one :)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
BenLaw said:
The best remaster I've heard in a long time is Graceland, have you had a chance to listen to that? If not it would be interesting for you to get a copy and see if we agree about that one :)
...and Graceland remaster is absolutely fabulous.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
stevebrock said:
MajorFubar said:

What don't you like about the Discovery edition of DSOTM (the most recent)
It's bland, dull as dishwater (I don't mean lacking treble, dull as in boring), lacking any sense of excitement, depth, sense of scale, sense of occasion. The 30th anniversary LP I've got wastes it. Not every CD I've got is wasted by its vinyl equivalent, not even nearly all, but this is. As is the original I bought in the 80s.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Crikey what a minefield this is......

I agree some remasters are terrible, some are good!

some vinyl is terrible also......human legue - Dare sounds absolutely fantastic on vinyl so I know vinyl does sound very good

i also know some of my CDs sound amazing through my DAC........Fleetwood Mac - Tango in the night sounds awesome!

i have a Rega RP1, I have been buying lots of used vinyl but all the Floyd stuff on vinyl costs £££££s

i would rather buy the vinyl if it does sound better than the cd and vice versa!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Absolutely. And a lot of the time it seems to be a case of suck it and see and if you don't like it, pass it on.

You have a pretty good set up for both vinyl & cd how do you decide hich format to buy?

T

the record spot

MajorFubar said:
Personally I found '1st generation' CDs of albums originaly recorded in analogue to be very hit and miss, presumably because of the comparatively-primative ADC technology used during the digital transfer. Just to be safe, I would always go for a 1990s/modern remaster, were it not for the annoying DR compression on many (all?) modern remasters. This blurs the issue and makes the choice far less arbitary. I suppose the only thing which can be said is that if you really don't like a particular master, you can always eBay it and try a different (earlier/later) one :)

Once I discovered the decently mastered copies, then I was all over the original releases. Some stinkers exist sure, Styx's Pieces of Eight on Cinram Logistics A&M disc was awful, but then again, the Polydor remaster for the Stones' "Some Girls" was the only time I had to turn a disc off. They throttled that one which is a shame as the album's a good one.

Nowadays - and for the last few years - I've sought out the original discs and it's been worth it for the most part (and I guess we're talking 95% of the time or slightly better). The Steve Hoffman forum was good for that, heaps of useful info there.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
stevebrock said:
MajorFubar said:
Absolutely. And a lot of the time it seems to be a case of suck it and see and if you don't like it, pass it on.

You have a pretty good set up for both vinyl & cd how do you decide hich format to buy?
Well for me, more often than not it boils down to whether I think I'm going to want the album in a digital format. Some LPs come with the option of a free lossy download which is good: almost the best of both worlds, but then some albums I really prefer to listen off LP and I'm not really interested in listening in digital (like DSotM). Also for me sometimes it's down to the age of the album: old stuff which was tracked, mixed and mastered on analogue tape often seems to sound at its best on vinyl, whereas new stuff which started out digital to start with is often just as good or better on digital.

All just IMO of course!

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Can you anybody tell if the remastered discovery edition on cd is better than the original cd?

play.com have both versions for a similar price but can't decide which would be the best sounding on my set up.

thanks

I'd previously bought the DSOTM Immersion boxset, and this thread inspired me to have another look around at the other Immersion boxsets. Managed to find both at a price I could just about swallow (although along with more scarves and coasters, transparent WYWH marbles are a new merchandising low). So The Wall and WYWH both arrived today :) Cracking them open has also ended an extended period away from the hifi inspired by a new baby (although I've still been listening to plenty of music and of course movies through my AV system).

So to answer the OP, The Wall is IMHO a big step up in SQ from the last CD. This is in contrast to my experience with DSOTM, which I felt was only a subtle change at best. I've never heard the vinyl, but have always had a sense with DSOTM that it has a lot more to give. Well The Wall now gives a lot more. I've only listened once and I'm not great at discussing musical qualities, but this master simply gives a lot more verve and excitement. The guitar cords on Comfortably Numb really make the hairs on the back of the neck stand up. There seems to be a touch more detail and a little additional focus to the stereo image. Anyway, very impressed; highly recommended :)

I now have some trepidation about listening to WYHW, scared it won't be better, but scared what it might sound like if it is even better :)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I meant to post the other day, I received the wall & wish you were here - both the 2011 das boot remasters.

they are very analogue sounding, plenty of detail very pleased with them. I can sit for hours listening to them as they are very non fatiguing.

Maybe down to my system, but found the DSOTM 2011 remaster exactly the same.....they were all around £8 each so well worth a few beers each!

slightly off topic also..... Just got Bob Marley - Legend remaster .... Sounds pretty amazing to me through the Rega DAC! Hence to say I'm very pleased with some of my recent cd purchases!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm...very tempted by the Discovery Edition of The Wall thanks to these reviews.

I wonder if the 90sec clips on iTunes are at all representative? Might give the clips a listen. If even they are so obviously superior to the CD I've already got, it's a no-brainer. If they're not, it's a £14.38 risk (from Play.com...anyone seen it cheaper?)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
The wall remaster on iTunes will not be of decent quality to be honest.....mp3 128kbps yuk! Ok for an iPod!

i got mine from Amazon about £8-9

Andrej_1

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Yep, £8.79 at amazon.

Do you mean the experience edition? Looks like sainsbury at £13.99 for that one.

You may want to check in local CD store (yes, they still exists) :)

I bought my (non experience) for 10 € (think that experience was for 14).

single CDs for 9 €.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Andrej_1 said:
BenLaw said:
Yep, £8.79 at amazon.

Do you mean the experience edition? Looks like sainsbury at £13.99 for that one.

You may want to check in local CD store (yes, they still exists) :)

I bought my (non experience) for 10 € (think that experience was for 14).

single CDs for 9 €.

I may want to, but as much as I like the major I'm not going to do a survey of my local shops to get a good price for him; google is as good as it gets :)

T

the record spot

I picked up The Wall 2011 remaster today when I swapped a bunch of CDs. Listened to Mother which is my default test track on that album and I think the Harvest original is the better. More separation around the instruments and not quite so congested.

The remaster is excellent though. The bonus DVD is a must watch.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Not had a chance to listen to or watch any of the discs other than the remastered album yet, but look forward to it :) Have probably seen most of the video on YouTube before but hopefully the quality will be much improved. Just ripped all 6 audio discs to iTunes so should get to listen to them all soon one way or the other.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts