Pink Floyd - The Wall remastered discovery 2011 edition

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Can you anybody tell if the remastered discovery edition on cd is better than the original cd?

play.com have both versions for a similar price but can't decide which would be the best sounding on my set up.

thanks

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I've not heard the 2011 remaster, but if you can get hold of the 1994 remaster, sold in those thick double boxes they used back then, I'd go for that.

th0m

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Unless you want to track down one of the early/mid 80's Harvest CD's (particularly the German release), I'd say the newest remaster is the way to go. They are very good overall, though The Wall was probably the one I was least impressed with.

stefanom

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi

I own both the Discovery edition and the 1994 Remaster edition of The Wall. In my opinion the Discovery edition sounds better in every way, both on my speakers and headphones. Its cleaner, clearer with better instrument seperation. I have the Discovery box and I'm impressed with the sound on every disk. I would go for the Discovery edition.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Excellent that's all I needed Thankyou very much I will be ordering the discovery edition then, I already have DSOTM discovery edition and it sounds pretty good!

and other floyd albums worth buying?

th0m

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:

Depends a little what you're after. I'd say the five albums from Meddle to The Wall are all essential, but if you're into more psychedelic stuff, the earlier records are also great.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
This would suggest the 2011:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/index.php?search_artist=pink+floyd&search_album=the+wall&sort=year&order=desc

stefanom

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Wish You Were There is fantastic (songs like Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Have a Cigar)

Meddle is a great prog rock album

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (first album - Syd Barret era)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Yes I always check the dr database before buying stuff but its not always the best indicator IMHO

think I will order wish you were here and the final cut as well

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Crocodile said:
This would suggest the 2011:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/index.php?search_artist=pink+floyd&search_album=the+wall&sort=year&order=desc
Not criticising, but just wondering what made you say the 2011 remaster is the one to get (DR 12 and 12) when the 1994 remaster that I recommended is less compressed (DR 12 and 13)? The earlier ones are better still, but I'm not sure how good they sound; 1st generation 'AAD' and CDs were always a bit hit 'n' miss, and I haven't heard an early 'Wall'

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Not criticising, but just wondering what made you say the 2011 remaster is the one to get
There's very little to choose between the 2011 & 1994 versions in terms of DR. Earlier versions appear to have less DR in individual tracks if I'm reading it right.

So my suggestion was based on the 2011 being readily available & identifiable whereas the "standard" version the OP referenced may be a bit of a lottery as to which he actually ends up with. As (in Play's case at least) the 2011 version is identified but the "standard" version isn't.

I was just offering the OP a tool he may not have been aware of but as it turns out, he'd already checked it.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I have ordered the 2011 remasters now!

I only found out about the loudness wars recently, and to be honest it absolutely stinks!

Florence and the Machine - ceremonials.... Whoever mastered that should be hung, drawn & quartered how can they do this to the music? Does the artist have any say in it? It really is a shame.

My system really is showing up poor recordings as well

SteveR750

stevebrock said:
Excellent that's all I needed Thankyou very much I will be ordering the discovery edition then, I already have DSOTM discovery edition and it sounds pretty good!

Unfashionable though it is to Floyd purists, I have a soft spot for The Final Cut; Water's at his depressingly angsty best.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Crocodile said:
MajorFubar said:
Not criticising, but just wondering what made you say the 2011 remaster is the one to get
There's very little to choose between the 2011 & 1994 versions in terms of DR. Earlier versions appear to have less DR in individual tracks if I'm reading it right.

So my suggestion was based on the 2011 being readily available & identifiable whereas the "standard" version the OP referenced may be a bit of a lottery as to which he actually ends up with. As (in Play's case at least) the 2011 version is identified but the "standard" version isn't.

I was just offering the OP a tool he may not have been aware of but as it turns out, he'd already checked it.
Ah fair enough, I get ya.

Andrej_1

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I would second ThOm: from Meddle to The Wall (wall would not be my first choice between them), but I would add the Division bell and of course Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

2011 remasters are OK for me.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
stevebrock said:

Unfashionable though it is to Floyd purists, I have a soft spot for The Final Cut; Water's at his depressingly angsty best.

It's a very good album, especially if one views it as the first Roger Waters album rather than the last Pink Floyd album with roger Waters. I struggled with it as a teenager, but a few years ago when a compiled a 'best of' playlist, and having listened to The Wall countless times in the interim, I realised just how many great indivdual songs it has and what a great album it is as a whole. Also an excellent test for dynamics :)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
stevebrock said:

For various reasons, I would recommend listening to Pink Floyd albums in this order of importance:

First Division:

Wish You Were Here (the greatest album of all time)

Second Division:

The Piper at The Gates of Dawn (Syd Barrett as lyrical genius; with a great system, experience an acid trip without taking acid!)

Meddle (close to the heights of WYWH)

The Wall (took me dozens of listens and watching the film to fully appreciate; an astounding achievement)

Third Division:

A Saucerful of Secrets (Fascinating as a transition album)

Obscured by Clouds (Similar tone to Meddle, not quite as good)

DSOTM (overrated, but a vital step to WYWH)

Animals (the other side of the peak of WYWH)

The Final Cut (not the first to buy and more a Waters album, but fantastic)

A Momentary Lapse of Reason (some brilliant Gilmore music, although Waters' ciriticism of lyrics lacking 'genuiness' is fair)

The Division Bell (the last hurrah, and generally underrated)

Fourth Division:

More (some interesting heavier tracks, but a little out of place)

Ummagumma (good live tricks but studio album one of the more 'take it or leave it')

Atom Heart Mother (not entirely successful experiment)

Relics (if you want more Barrett definitely get this)

Just my personal opinions, and worth noting that the 'third division' albums include some of my favourite albums, and I would happily listen repeatedly to any of those 'fourth division' albums.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I am certainly no floyd purist! I just enjoyed echoes and DSOTM immensely so thought I would try out the others and I love another Brick.......

Andrej_1

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
BenLaw said:
stevebrock said:

For various reasons, I would recommend listening to Pink Floyd albums in this order of importance:

First Division:

Wish You Were Here (the greatest album of all time)

Second Division:

The Piper at The Gates of Dawn (Syd Barrett as lyrical genius; with a great system, experience an acid trip without taking acid!)

Meddle (close to the heights of WYWH)

The Wall (took me dozens of listens and watching the film to fully appreciate; an astounding achievement)

Third Division:

A Saucerful of Secrets (Fascinating as a transition album)

Obscured by Clouds (Similar tone to Meddle, not quite as good)

DSOTM (overrated, but a vital step to WYWH)

Animals (the other side of the peak of WYWH)

The Final Cut (not the first to buy and more a Waters album, but fantastic)

A Momentary Lapse of Reason (some brilliant Gilmore music, although Waters' ciriticism of lyrics lacking 'genuiness' is fair)

The Division Bell (the last hurrah, and generally underrated)

Fourth Division:

More (some interesting heavier tracks, but a little out of place)

Ummagumma (good live tricks but studio album one of the more 'take it or leave it')

Atom Heart Mother (not entirely successful experiment)

Relics (if you want more Barrett definitely get this)

Just my personal opinions, and worth noting that the 'third division' albums include some of my favourite albums, and I would happily listen repeatedly to any of those 'fourth division' albums.

Ben, if I may say, this is fantastic analysis. Agree, and also about listening the third division.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I'm looking forward now to listening to WYWH, I've read lots about this album but never really explored Pink Floyd before....only through Echoes and more recently the 2011 remaster of DSOTM.

I have ordered the 2011 remasters of WYWH and The Wall so looking forward to getting them.

Jame5

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I haven't heard the original, but recently bought the discovery edition of The Wall and have been seriously impressed with the sound quality. One of the best sounding CDs in my collection.

T

the record spot

Original Harvest fatbox for me. Happened on mine a couple of years ago and it left the 1994 remaster behind. Mother being a good example why. The instrumental break especially. I got rid of the remaster not long after. Might get the new one for the live disc though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts