picture downgraded with component video cables

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm looking for some advice before I rush into buying extra kit or upgrading everything unnecessarily and was hoping you may be able to help.
My current situation as far as living space and neighbours etc. has meant that I'm using various pieces of equipment, bought at different stages over the last few years and that would not be recommended together but seem to do a perfectly good job, compared to cheaper one box systems, so I'm hoping to make the most of them until I can change the entire set up.
System at present:
Denon AVR 3803. Had great reviews and does everything well but obviously lacks HDMI outputs which seems to be the biggest problem as you'll see.Sony BDP-S580JVC LT-42 DR9BJ. Superb picture in my opinion and running component video cables and with the S-580 upscaling Dvd's, is amazing for the money.
As for speakers, although it's a strange set up, I'm happy with the sound and can manage without the extra base due to the neighbours!...TDL RTL 2's. Old but still great to listen to - used as front left and right as there's no sub. (I've owned them from new as normal stereo speakers, before the cinema idea came along and I'm not in a position to upgrade everything at once).B&W VM1's as centre channel and rear's.I also have a pair of Q-Acoustics Q-Av that I may use as surround back's but I haven't experimented with them yet.
The biggest problem I've encountered is that having bought component video cables on the understanding that picture quality is improved, my new Sony BDP s580 BluRay player actually downgrades the picture quality due to 'protected content' restrictions!
The obvious solution, I assume, would be to use an Av amp with HDMI in/outputs but that would mean the Denon being redundant and a lot of expense on a new one just for the issue of picture resolution.

If there are any tips or tricks to get round this, I would be extremely grateful for your advice as the set up info in all the different manuals and all sorts of conflicting advice on line is becoming very frustrating

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Why not connect the Bluray player directly to the TV via HDMI and use the Denon just for the audio. That way you will get the best possible picture and the Denon will prove excellent quality sound.

A

Anonymous

Funnily enough, after stumbling across something on the net that mentioned the same thing, I tried it with great success!

Thanks for the reply though, it would've saved the day if I hadn't got lucky ealrier today.

The main reason I assumed (and hadn't found anything in the Denon or Sony manuals to the contrary) that I had to use one method or the other is that when I use my HDMI cable from my laptop to the TV as a monitor, the audio that I want to use via the headphone jack gets over ridden by the HDMI.

Anyway, the picture is full HD now although I need to keep the components to the TV via the amp if I want to use the on screen display for set up purposes! Oh well, I'm sure a 3D Tv and new AV amp will be on the horizon!

Thanks again

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts