Piano test

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone here has tested their amp/speaker combo by using an electronic piano as a source? I've never read any magazine reviews doing this, but if piano music is your thing, maybe it would make sense?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Electronic pianos have no 'sound' of their own, they are not acoustic instruments so you have absolutely no basis on which to base a comparison.

An uncompressed recording of a real piano, no that is something else.

I have mentioned this before but I have heard a number of DSD recordings played back in the room in which they were recorded, acoustic instruments and voice in the main.

Playback equipment was a pair of huge ribbon hybrid speakers and a pair of massive valve mono blocks, side by side live vs recorded comparisons could not be done but the playback was incredibly real, those present (recording professionals) at both the recording and the playback thought it pretty accurate.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
Electronic pianos have no 'sound' of their own, they are not acoustic instruments so you have absolutely no basis on which to base a comparison.

An uncompressed recording of a real piano, no that is something else.

I have mentioned this before but I have heard a number of DSD recordings played back in the room in which they were recorded, acoustic instruments and voice in the main.

Playback equipment was a pair of huge ribbon hybrid speakers and a pair of massive valve mono blocks, side by side live vs recorded comparisons could not be done but the playback was incredibly real, those present (recording professionals) at both the recording and the playback thought it pretty accurate.

I'd love to think that would put to bed any nonsense about valves being irrelevant.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
NSA_watch_my_toilet said:
I'd love this would put to bed, peoples speaking about off topic themes, under other peoples topics.

The op was trying to make a point about comparing live with recorded, something of a holy grail for some entusiasts.

Though not involving a piano, the setup described was the closest I have ever heard to that ideal. Though I was not involved in the recording, the fact that the playback was in the room where the recording was made was interesting too.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
thewinelake. said:
Just wondering if anyone here has tested their amp/speaker combo by using an electronic piano as a source? I've never read any magazine reviews doing this, but if piano music is your thing, maybe it would make sense?

When I was at a well known broadcaster, a test used to evaluate digital audio systems was the decay of a single piano note.

I recall a demonstration of the 'new' PCM digital system for FM distribution. A single piano note was played to a class either direct from an analogue tape, or via an A2D / D2A link with adjustable resolution.

At 13 bits, the class couldn't tell the difference between the direct analogue feed and the digitial version, at 12 bits, just as the note decayed to nothing there was a slight distortion.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
andyjm said:
I recall a demonstration of the 'new' PCM digital system for FM distribution...

You were at the BBC in the early 1970s?

Were you involved in the 'roll out'? (I've been trying to find a schedule for all the different transmitters/regions.) I think our area switched over around 1976.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
andyjm said:
I recall a demonstration of the 'new' PCM digital system for FM distribution...

You were at the BBC in the early 1970s?

Were you involved in the 'roll out'? (I've been trying to find a schedule for all the different transmitters/regions.)

I think our area (Rowridge) switched over around 1976.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts