Phono Stages

JohnNB

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I had my old Thorens TD160 rebuilt last year and the sound, compared to cds, blew me away. The Nagaoka MP200 sounded great played through the phono input of the Roksan but I gave the Rega Mini a go and the modest little box sounded even better - more open with a bit more 'presence'. I'm now ready to move up to something better and I've read positive reviews of the Heed Audio Questar MM, the Lehmann Black Cube and the Rega Fono MM MK2, which are all within my price range. Any suggestions or advice would be welcome.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
The Heed Qestar is £250 and get great reviews, you can also add a Power Supply to it to enhance the performance on the MM stage part.

You will soon find out that cartridge & phono stage matching is quite important in the grand scheme of things.

For £199 you can get the Rega Fono MK2 which is also well respected.

Save the £50 for vinyl and get the Rega, your cartridge is a nice match with the Rega as you have found out with the mini2ad.

You should be able to get some £s for your old phono stage.

Good Luck

JohnNB

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Steve. I agree, the Rega is tempting and a local dealer can let me audition the two Regas. But I would like a future upgrade path of adding a quality power unit later, which the Heed and the Lehmann would give me. I was also thinking that the Heed and Lehmann would be the significant upgrade I'm looking for. You make a good point about matching with the cartridge. Are you suggesting that the Rega and the Heed would be a better match for the Nagaoka than the Lehmann?

ps. Having difficulty finding space for more vinyl - I'm almost at the one in one out stage!

JohnNB said:
Thanks Steve. I agree, the Rega is tempting and a local dealer can let me audition the two Regas. But I would like a future upgrade path of adding a quality power unit later, which the Heed and the Lehmann would give me. I was also thinking that the Heed and Lehmann would be the significant upgrade I'm looking for. You make a good point about matching with the cartridge. Are you suggesting that the Rega and the Heed would be a better match for the Nagaoka than the Lehmann?

ps. Having difficulty finding space for more vinyl - I'm almost at the one in one out stage!

There are, as posted, other options available but I would suggest from those on your list you go for the Lehmann as it is the only one that can be used with MC cartridges. This, I would suggest, is more important than upgrading power supplies as it will give you a much greater cartridge upgrade path in the future and it is, ultimately, the cartridge that is going to be giving you the SQ upgrade (even more so than a phono preamp upgrade).

If you intend sticking solely with MM type cartridges then please feel free to ignore this suggestion.

If this is the case then the Heed would be my preamp of choice (or second-hand Trichord Dino :) )

JohnNB

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the advice and guidance everyone. Decided on the Trichord Dino. Seems to tick all the boxes and Graham from Trichord was really helpful. Got the basic Dino Mk3 on 2 week trial.

JohnNB said:
Thanks for the advice and guidance everyone. Decided on the Trichord Dino. Seems to tick all the boxes and Graham from Trichord was really helpful. Got the basic Dino Mk3 on 2 week trial.

Good decision. Hopefully it is to your liking. It can also be upgraded in the future should you wish to do so but, again, I'd consider a cartridge upgrade first.

JohnNB

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I thought the Nagaoka MP200 at almost £300 was about the right price range for my TT and Linn arm, and I'm verry happy with the sound. I considered the Nagaokas MP300/500, but the price gets a bit steep for the cart and replacement styli. I know that a MC cartridge would be a big step up in sound quality but I'm put off by the price, and the fact that the you can't replace the stylus - I'm not confident enough to mount a cartridge and call on a competent professional to do this. So sticking with a good MM seems practical.

All the phono amp manufacturers seem to say that upgrading the power supply makes huge improvements in sound, which puzzles me a little, but being technically naive I believe em! I had thought therefore, that upgrading to the Trichord's better power supply would be the next upgrade. What do you think?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts