Phono stage?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi to you all

Have previously asked you experts out there about turntables and was given some good advice.

Now the next bit.Would it be advisable to get a phono stage as well for the t/table? or to use my Kandy 111integrated amp phono stage?.

Am Bi-amping at the moment but dealer has recommended phono stage.What do you guy's think?

Thanks

nads

To start with i would use the one in the Kandy.

then maybe ask the dealer to let you have a home try on the one he wants to sell you so you can see if it is worth it.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Agree; dont rule out the Kandy's phono amp until youve tried it and used it for a good few weeks.

There are plenty of decnet external phono amps out there so if possible; they'd need to be demo'd too if/when necessary.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that was going to listen to t/table through Amps stage but you know what those salespeople are like?.

This is a very helpful site and thanks to you once again.

John

A

Anonymous

So are you saying phono stage is not required here as previously suggested by some/listen through integrated first?

And if not required what cartridge would you guy's recommend for the Rega?

Thanks

John Duncan

You can add a phono stage later - the one in the Kandy will be ok, but 80 quid spent on (approx) doubling the cost of your cartridge will sound better than 80 quid's worth of Cambridge phono stage. I don't know Rega's cartridge range at all, but the Ortofon 2M Blue would be good (as chebby will testify).

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Yes I can testify to that :)

Alternatively (and more conveniently for you) you can order your Rega P3-24 with a factory fitted (and aligned) Rega Elys 2 for £100 on top of the price of the turntable.

Saves you the hassle of fitting and aligning it yourself and the Elys 2 is a very respectable MM cartridge.

Makes the whole thing (almost) plug n play. You still have to balance the arm and dial up the suggested tracking force (& anti skate) but the Rega instructions are very easy and clear and the RB301 arm is not a fussy set-up.

The added small advantage of the Rega Elys 2 is that (being made by Rega) the VTA will be spot-on.

Using other manufacturer's cartridges can throw out the VTA a touch due to variances in cartridge body depth. With the Elys 2 you have no such concerns.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Chebby may just go with your call there.

Whatever happened to the good old day's when you went down to your local dealers, bought a stylus, yes stylus for a fiver,slipped it onto the tonearm and away you went!.

Next question and I promise it will be the last ...is it difficult to set the cartridge up yourself? no knowledge permitting.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
John1:...is it difficult to set the cartridge up yourself? no knowledge permitting.

With no knowledge? Yes.

With experience. Still fiddly and time consuming.

Life is too short. In your position I would take the easy way out and get Rega to do it for you. (I have 30 years of experience - on & off - of setting up and aligning cartridges and I still do it only when the house is empty so I can concentrate properly.)

A

Anonymous

Installing a cartridge isn't hard, but it can be annoying.

The Rega comes with a protractor and instructions, but you may as well ask the dealer to install the cartridge for you.

T

the record spot

Apart from the 2M Blue, there's also the rather fine Goldring 1000-series; the 1006 or 1012 would be fine choices too. Like the 2M, you can buy a lower end cartridge in the range but upgrade the stylus as funds or upgrades permit. It's a very strong line, but the 1022 and -42 are fine examples of the midprice MM art.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The Goldring 1042 is a great choice. I had one on a Rega Planar 3 (P3) about 12 years ago and it was a fine cartridge.

The G 1042 bass was cavernous. In fact so big and 'dark' that heavy-dub sometimes sounded like the gates of Hades being slammed shut instead of Reggae!

I now prefer something a bit lighter on it's feet.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts