Question Phono stage or PSU

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
That’s interesting because I’d be surprised if the Fono wasn’t the design inside the Elicit. Why would they redesign something so widely regarded just to include it in their amp? Maybe to reduce the size, but a Fono isn’t exactly large, nor crammed with costly components.

BTW, I owned an early Fono Mini - prior to the USB version - and later the Fono MM series 2, both very good indeed. The dealer who I bought the original mini from said he reckoned you’d need to spend £400+ to better it, and I have no reason to disagree.
I currently use the Rega Fono MK3, don't see any reason to change it, I get the feeling I would have to spend silly money in order to better it, that would then mean I'd need a better amp etc etc......

daytona600

P3/P6/P8 even with a Neo PSU better speed control from a £299 project with built in Motor controller & PSU
Holy Crap! Look at These Speed Measurements!
You don’t expect great speed consistency or accuracy at this price point, but you expect reasonably good, right? I couldn’t believe what I saw when I looked at the Platterspeed app’s report: These are very good numbers and especially “well-balanced” in terms of plus and minus speeds. In fact, they are better than the much more costly Rega P8’s
Pro-Ject T1 Phono SB Turntable—Born of Frustration | Analog Planet

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
I would suggest if you buy a p3 get the option with no cartridge. Then get your own cartridge also i have an elicit-r and p3 and it sounds great together.

If I'd gone for the P3, I'd have gone for the Exact cart option.
As it is, I'm getting the P6 with Exact cart.

Unfortunately, if I want to play LPs, I need a cart at some point. So I may as well get a good one designed for Rega tables, pre fitted happily at the factory or dealer.

Nothing is perfect, and yes, there will always be the chance of finding something better.
But, do I take the TT home, plug it in and play it. Or:
Take it home with no cart, spend possibly weeks searching, hoping I find something that sounds better to me (never a guarantee), spending quite a few pounds in fuel in the mean time. Then have the hassle of fitting a cart that is possibly a different height to the Rega carts, leaving the arm at a suboptimal angle.
Remembering again, that even this cart wouldn't be perfect.

I'm not convinced it is worth it. Unless the Rega carts are absolutely rubbish, which I don't believe they are.

Reactions: andybebbs

jordanfx

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
If I'd gone for the P3, I'd have gone for the Exact cart option.
As it is, I'm getting the P6 with Exact cart.

Unfortunately, if I want to play LPs, I need a cart at some point. So I may as well get a good one designed for Rega tables, pre fitted happily at the factory or dealer.

Nothing is perfect, and yes, there will always be the chance of finding something better.
But, do I take the TT home, plug it in and play it. Or:
Take it home with no cart, spend possibly weeks searching, hoping I find something that sounds better to me (never a guarantee), spending quite a few pounds in fuel in the mean time. Then have the hassle of fitting a cart that is possibly a different height to the Rega carts, leaving the arm at a suboptimal angle.
Remembering again, that even this cart wouldn't be perfect.

I'm not convinced it is worth it. Unless the Rega carts are absolutely rubbish, which I don't believe they are.
bought the p3 when it first came out and swapped the cartridge for a ortofon 2m blue much better cartridge imo.may help you decide.

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
bought the p3 when it first came out and swapped the cartridge for a ortofon 2m blue much better cartridge imo.may help you decide.

Many thanks.
Yep, one of the few names you see regularly.
Unfortunately, thats just it. Its one of a few names, and some people don't even mention them. So I would still be searching for a long time, trying to find an elusive cartridge.
Hence why changing cartridge was never on the cards. Just choose the best Rega MM, assuming a sensible enough price, and enjoy.

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
So I made a possible rookie error! Only possibly though, because it might just have ended the endless need to upgrade!

Considering I'm happily living with my Planar 6/ Exact.
I went perusing eBay, and stupidly purchased an Aphelion 1 cartridge, thinking I could give myself a lovely large increase in quality on my P6.
But of course, after receiving the cartridge, my thinking changed tack. I suddenly started thinking an Aphelion is overkill on a Planar 6, and actually, I should be thinking Planar 10. You know, as you do!!

Why oh why did I not just do this to start with?!!!
Still, it ends the constant need to upgrade. There is no more upgrade in TT possible (well, unless I go for the Naiad!!)

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts