Phono preamp recommendations

Silver200

Jul 10, 2020
Visit site
Hi!!

I'm looking for an upgrade of my internal phono preamp of my marantz SR5013.
My budget is 200.
I've read great things about the Schiit Mani but also read that have some hum problems.
Another option with great reviews too, is the Cambridge Audio Solo phono preamp. Is a little more expensive but maybe it worth the extra money.
Any opinions and recommendations?
Thanks a lot

Gray

When I sold my Marantz PM66KI amp, I bought a Cambridge Audio 561P phono amp.
Wish I'd kept the Marantz just to use as a phono stage.
It's likely the Solo is better than their old 561P - would be handy if you could try CA / Schitt to confirm any improvement first though.

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
When I sold my Marantz PM66KI amp, I bought a Cambridge Audio 561P phono amp.
Wish I'd kept the Marantz just to use as a phono stage.
It's likely the Solo is better than their old 561P - would be handy if you could try CA / Schitt to confirm any improvement first though.

Not sure what cartridge you're using, but as an entry level phono amp, Graham Slee are very good.
I've used their products before and never had any issues.
They used to offer home demos, but not sure if they still do.
If you can stretch your budget a little, they might be worth a look.

*Edit. This reply was for the OP. (y)

Last edited:
Reactions: 6and8 and Gray

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I second what Paul Clarke says. Graham Slee makes great phono preamps, I've been using one of the higher end ones, the Reflex M, for 2 or 3 years now, really happy with it. The entry level ones also get very good reviews. And they do have a loan scheme so you can try before you buy.

I second what Paul Clarke says. Graham Slee makes great phono preamps, I've been using one of the higher end ones, the Reflex M, for 2 or 3 years now, really happy with it. The entry level ones also get very good reviews. And they do have a loan scheme so you can try before you buy.
Have you actually heard any others in the same price bracket? What cartridge do you use?

myrrhman

Apr 24, 2020
Visit site
I've got an older model Cambridge Audio 551p MM stage, which wasn't particuarly favourably reviewed, but FWIW outperformed the phono stage in my old Creek 4140 amp, which is a very well regarded built-in stage. I'd imagine the CA Solo would be worth a listen. You haven't mentioned your deck and cartridge - your choice should be influenced by these, and whether you plan to upgrade in the future.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts