Phono gain

touchthenote

Nov 9, 2020
Visit site
So I have an SME 10 , Dynavector Karat 17 D ll , Music First Pre, with a Musical Fidelity MX-Vinyl phono. The recommended load is 100 ohms but the volume is so quiet even on the highest volume that I have to increase the load, is this normal, what is the link causing this, any help appreciated.

The fact you have a very low output MC cartridge through a phono preamp into a passive preamp doesn't help.
You will have to use whatever setting you can on that phono preamp to try to get acceptable level I think, but having said that you don't mention a power amplifier......you do have one don't you?

touchthenote

Nov 9, 2020
Visit site
Hi Al ears,
Really appreciate the reply, running it through an audio research VS 115 power amp, sounds amazing but I have to have it at a really high gain to get a reasonable volume and really need to know if I am ruining the sound quality by not having it at the recommended 100 ohms ?

Hi Al ears,
Really appreciate the reply, running it through an audio research VS 115 power amp, sounds amazing but I have to have it at a really high gain to get a reasonable volume and really need to know if I am ruining the sound quality by not having it at the recommended 100 ohms ?
No, it's only a recommendation. With your set-up simply use what you need to.

daytona600

17D 0.3mv output Phono stage ideally needs 0.4mv
gives 4v output can you use XLR inputs into your power amp these will offer double the output @ 8mv
or try a SUT step up transformer into the MM input of the phono stage 1.30/1.40 ration
or a phono stage with adjustable gain 65/85db
or new MC cartridge with standard output of 0.4-0.7mv output

Passive pre essentially do not have any gain & have to be matched to gain of power amp or try a Active preamp will offer plenty of gain

TRENDING THREADS