Philips 9664 - Died after 10 hours...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Well, I've had my 9664 for just over 10 hours and it's now dead. Can't power on from side panel or standby. No red light... nothing. So much for product of the year :(

A

Anonymous

I have a replacement arriving next Saturday but I have to admit that it has severely knocked my confidence in the product somewhat...

I wouldn't have minded so much if it was a sub-par TV at around £600 - £700.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Sadly, even the very best products can go 'bang' sometimes
emotion-6.gif
Sure your replacement set will be fine. Let us know how you get on!

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
When I got my Bravia (Oooo...... Must be about 4 years ago now). The first one they sent, the screen would go black after about 10 minutes or so, leaving only sound. Not chuffed since it cost over £2k at the time.

The replacement came a couple of days later and that's the one that's on my wall, no issues since the day it was sent.

Basically, I know it's a headache, but don't let it ruin your enjoyment of what is by all acounts a great TV. A few weeks down the line this bother will be all but forgotten,

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:Sadly, even the very best products can go 'bang' sometimes
emotion-6.gif
Sure your replacement set will be fine. Let us know how you get on!

After 10 hours!!!?? lol

Most retailers I meet, tell me not to buy Philips TV's or DVD players.....as they break or have lots of faults. Not all of course

I'm sure the new one will be fine.....
emotion-16.gif

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Hmmm, I think I mentioned in a previous thread the number of Philips components I've had that have failed.

And only last week, my Philips DVD recorder (which I don't use as a recorder, as there are glitches when it plays its own recordings back), went on the blink. I was watching a free, cover-mounted DVD and thought it was unfortunate they'd got the colour balance off, as everything was a bit green-tinged. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that everything now plays back with a green tinge!

I think Philips stuff in terms of performance is generally very good, but I also think their quality control is a bit lacking.

A

Anonymous

Well, I took delivery of the replacement yesterday evening... First, the remote failed to work after about one hour and I had to turn the TV off to re-engage it although it has been OK since. Secondly, the ambilight decided to become 'in-active' and sat there cycling some random colours instead of matching the colours to the onscreen action...

This doesn't bode well does it? I HATE buying technology.

:(

A

Anonymous

I have noticed that if you press buttons on the remote whilst the TV is doing it's startup routine (the white light is flashing on the chassis) it can have these effects - ambilight all wrong and remote non responsive. I have never had a problem if I wait until the startup has ended (and despite what some people say on these forums - it is only seconds!).

As a footnote I would also mention that we have a 5 year Richer Sounds warranty (did not pay any extra for it), so I am not worried about reliability. We would never buy such a high value item without decent cover. Even if a thousand are perfectly reliable, yours could be the one with the bad diode.

A

Anonymous

sure , the 9664 and samsung b8000 are both fantastic tvs , but there seems to be an awful lot of posts lately from owners that cant get the best out of them , with motion being the main problem , it seems the more tuning options there are the more problems , is 200hz really worth the hassle ?? (sony tvs aside)...

A

Anonymous

It's not the 200Hz, it's the Natural Motion than can cause issues. They are seperate settings. I still miss our Loewe CRT. It just worked. I am still confident our 9664 will be great in the departments it is currently struggling in when I get away from SCARTs. It is stunning in many ways, but I am never going to pretend it is perfect. I just like it more than other TVs out there.

A

Anonymous

Badamz:

As a footnote I would also mention that we have a 5 year Richer Sounds warranty (did not pay any extra for it), so I am not worried about reliability. We would never buy such a high value item without decent cover.

I too have a five year cover but it's just the hassle of having to cart the bloody thing on and off my premises each time!! :)

A

Anonymous

Yes - I hate any hassle (I just wanted to state how important I felt that warranty was). It is such a performance to return these high-value and heavy (to say nothing of delicate) items.

It seems to be the case that flat TVs are very often faulty, or at least have issues that are not expected by the buyer. I'm not sure the technology is really there, but they keep developing the next 'thing'. We just want reliable TVs that live up to the description please!

It's not long since my Brother and I took our Loewe Aconda 32inch CRT to the tip and that was not fun.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts