philips 9000

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

That my friend is the question of the week for those of us interested in the 9705 :)

How did it win yet no one saw one until 2 weeks ago let alone get some hands on time to test and review it.

The closest anyone has got since release is a greek website that instead of creating a review took the 46" model apart and took pictures :) funny old world.

The people that did take the early plunge are a little upset due to the lack of communication between Philips and the end user and due to the wonders of the internet and sites like this they learn they are not the only one in the world to have an issue with this set. One unlucky customer has had 3 of the sets :)

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I assume you refer to the Philips 9705 winning an EISA Award? Suggest you direct your questions to them (there's an FAQ here re how they handle pre-release products/how they test) or their representative magazine in your country.

We are not affiliated with EISA - the UK judge for AV products is Hi-fi News. Not sure - as they don't ever feature them in the magazine - that they tested the TV section, however.

I consider this the end of the discussion on another organisation's Awards - we have our own, independently judged Awards (based on reviews of full production models of product) still to finish ahead of their 15th October unveiling.

The Philips 9000 series sets will not be in Awards consideration for us this year, as we haven't had a full production set to test.

A

Anonymous

emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Andy Clough:

hughesyboy:Still no word from Philips then?

I'm chasing them daily.

emotion-21.gif
thanks for your efforts

A

Anonymous

word on the street is It seems that the problem is a a piece of copper that is embedded in the electric resistance of the DC IN

A

Anonymous

I find it dissapointing that the 8000 and 9000 series this year have reflective screen, wrote a comment in another post about this problem, which aparently is ignored by most reviews.

Having reflective screen, I see no advantage over plasma - why pay 3.000/4.000 euro when you can get better picture for half the price buying a plasma - they both perform equaly bad in ambient light - but in a dark room, the plasma outperforms the LCD still.

Also disappointing that the drivers for watching TV on the Internet are still missing in the 2010 models - but this is not Philips alone. Only the Sweedish Android TV supports full Internet today ( as far as Im informed ).

Only by writing about it, can we send the message to Philips, that not all users tollerates reflective screen - that we dont buy their TV sets with reflective screen.

http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/496235.aspx

34oygw8.jpg

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:Again, your source is? Please tell

As big boss said :) if any distributor/retailer or even Philips had said anything i wouldnt go out of my way to read other forums/review sites.

as for the 9000 series it does not seem that reflective to me but the times i have seen it have been in dark conditions.

A

Anonymous

Not sure if the 9000 is less reflective than the 8000, but once you place a glass sheet on the front, you will have reflections. This is a video from IFA 2010 of the 21:9 where you see clear reflection from lamps etc - when they put a TV set in a dark room, or in a dimmed room, its usualy for hiding the reflections.

EDITED BY MODS - or rather it isn't a video from IFA, as it contravenes House Rules

EDIT: Sorry about that, didnt know I couldnt post links to YouTube.

YouTube is fine; source of the video isn't.

A

Anonymous

no one on the internet has patience we are all angry and unreasonable :)

A

Anonymous

AEJim:maxflinn:

fair play to philips
emotion-21.gif

any news from panasonic clare?

Max already wants his Panasonic back!
emotion-2.gif

nah, im a happy lg camper..
emotion-5.gif

but next year....hmmm?

TRENDING THREADS