Philips 42PES0001H LCD TV

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am a subscriber to your magazine but live in Spain . Unfortunately I don’t speak much Spanish which has complicated the situation that I am about to relate.

In January of this year I bought a Philips 42PES0001H LCD TV . I wanted a top class high definition TV so I was prepared to pay about 2000 euros for it and was pleased when in the May issue of your magazine you gave it a 5 star rating .

When I initially installed the TV there was an intermittent fault on the sound . This only occurred when an HDMI input was used and the effect was that every 20 to 30 minutes the sound disappeared for about a second . At the time I only had one HDMI source and I suspected that to be the cause of the problem . Over the next few months I bought other HDMI equipment and found that the fault was present using any of 3 HDMI sources connected to any of the 3 HDMI inputs on the hub of the TV . The sources are 3 different makes , Sony/Pace/Denon , so I think that is safe to assume that the fault lies within the TV .

I reported this fault to Philips Spain and over 3 months their local agent attempted 3 repairs ( 1 software and 2 hardware ) . The repairs altered the frequency of the fault but did not cure it but also introduced 2 new irritating problems .

The local Philips agent was not prepared to watch the TV for hours in order to witness the fault so I made a video camera recording of it , gave it to the agent and he forwarded it ,about 1month ago , to Philips Technical Department in Spain . Since then Philips Customer Relations say that it is up to the local agent to repair or replace the TV , the agent says that it is up to Philips Technical to diagnose the fault and initiate further action . Needless to say nothing happens !

I am beginning to think that diagnosis of the problem is beyond all of them and that nobody is willing to authorise a replacement .( My own guess is that the fault lies in the HDMI/HDCP software or hardware ). If other owners have reported similar problems the fault may be generic , if not I guess that I have been unlucky , however I think that in either case your 5 star rating should be reviewed

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
AFAIK it's not a fault we've had reported by other users.

This site should arm you with information regarding Euro consumer law regarding the sale of goods: it looks like the shop where you bought the product should take responsibility for the fix, and you may find that if you bought it with a credit card your card provider may be of some assistance.

TRENDING THREADS