Petition for High Definition Music Downloads.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

http://www.itrax.com/Pages/ArticleDetails.php?aID=32

Just read this... Don't know if others have read it. While I've signed the petition I hope we're not being subject to marketing hype from the existing retailers of

Hi res tracks.

just going to compare a 24/192 version of 'redemption song' to the 16/44 version on cd. I'll get back to you.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Ian64od said:
just going to compare a 24/192 version of 'redemption song' to the 16/44 version on cd. I'll get back to you.

To compare apples to apples, you would need to make your own 16/44 version of the 'high-res' track and then compare the two. The high res download could be a different master (very likely) than the original 16/44 version.

There is a program called Audacity, which can be used to compress the high res file.

sometimesuk

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
Assuming its the same mix, if he compares the CD to the 24 Bit file, surely that would give him a better idea of what to expect if that and other music was released as 24 Bit in the first place?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
No not really because it's very likely that most hi-res files out there in internet land are sourced from different masters to the CDs, certainly for old stuff recorded on analogue tape. If you really want to hear only the difference between 24/96 (etc) and 16/44, the only real way is to start with the hi-res file, convert it to 16/44 and compare the two that way.

A

Anonymous

Overdose said:
Ian64od said:

To compare apples to apples, you would need to make your own 16/44 version of the 'high-res' track and then compare the two. The high res download could be a different master (very likely) than the original 16/44 version.

There is a program called Audacity, which can be used to compress the high res file.

so perhaps my concerns re hype might be borne out then. If there are too many variables involved in knowing whether the 24/192 copy you have is better than 16/44 copy then what's the point of hi res, shouldn't we the just concentrate on finding the best bang for our buck reproduction of bog standard 16/44 CDs?

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Ian64od said:
http://www.itrax.com/Pages/ArticleDetails.php?aID=32

Just read this... Don't know if others have read it. While I've signed the petition I hope we're not being subject to marketing hype from the existing retailers of

Hi res tracks.

This, to me, is old news. What we should be asking for is not so called 'hi-res' recordings (which aren't hi-res at all, it's merely an extended frequency range - and as the link shows, that's debateable), but properly mastered ones. Record companies could offer two versions to download, one for lo-fi car stereos/kitchen radios/etc. and one unadulterated, free from unnecessary compression, hifi version - and 16/44.1 is good enough for that. I'm happy to download 'hi-res' though, if it's the only way to get better masters.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Ian64od said:
Overdose said:
Ian64od said:

so perhaps my concerns re hype might be borne out then. If there are too many variables involved in knowing whether the 24/192 copy you have is better than 16/44 copy then what's the point of hi res, shouldn't we the just concentrate on finding the best bang for our buck reproduction of bog standard 16/44 CDs?

Perhaps they are. I've done a conversion to see for myself.

I only ever buy CDs and always will as long as they are available.

sometimesuk

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
UPDATE:[/b]

After listening to the peoples comments on various forums the petition title has been changed to:

“Stop the loudness wars and release High Definition Music Downloads”[/b]

Petition Link:[/b] http://www.change.org/petitions/stop-the-loudness-wars-and-release-high-definition-music-downloads[/b]

Facebook Group:[/b] http://www.facebook.com/groups/463034807076103/[/b]

I had emailed all those who signed the petition for comment before doing so.

Please note that while many would like to see a fundamental change within the industry so that no record is heavily compressed, this is not realistic as no doubt the record labels / retailers would argue that many people prefer the music “louder” (Even though we may fundamentally disagree).

Instead the petition focus would be for record labels and retailers to offer uncompressed downloads alongside[/b] the “mainstream offering” in the download market[/b] in both 16 Bit & 24 Bit format. It’s not realistic to expect an uncompressed CD to be brought to market alongside the “normal” version.

My personal opinion is that if a new product market is created the focus should be on 24 Bit downloads and advertised as “the best”, as even modestly priced equipment is able to playback 24 Bit files and it’s also important for the industry to move forward.

If you agree and haven’t already done so, please sign the petition and ask your friends to do so too.

If change is ever going to happen then we need people’s participation. Thanks

sometimesuk

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
I have been asked by a few people what my objective is with the petition and what I’m I going to do with it, for clarification my broad intentions are below. Bear in mind, it’s still very early days, which is why I intent to use the facebook group as a place to take on board peoples suggestions and advice.

Objective:[/b] To raise the issue of compression and availability of high quality downloads with major record labels and online retailers

When: [/b]Once I / others (facebook group) believe that the petition has reached its peak, or has reached a number that I believe would warrant notice, ideally between 2000 – 3000 people.

How: By letter to each of the [/b]major record labels and online retailers. The letter would bring to their attention the petition and ask them to take into consideration our views and ask them for comments (future plans etc).

I plan on using the facebook group to communicate draft versions of any final letter, to accompany the petition letter for people to comment on and who to write to. I will them email all those who signed the petition before it gets sent for comment.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
No not really because it's very likely that most hi-res files out there in internet land are sourced from different masters to the CDs, certainly for old stuff recorded on analogue tape. If you really want to hear only the difference between 24/96 (etc) and 16/44, the only real way is to start with the hi-res file, convert it to 16/44 and compare the two that way.

Major Fubar is right!

Hi-Res music to me sounded quite like vinyl in all honesty - a lot smoother. This to me is a good thing!

However buying Hi-Res in the UK is very diffucult! I have heard that some of HDTracks is being sold as 24/96 but isnt etc.

Its expensive too @£18

I have 2 Hi-Res albums - Eagles - Hotel California (Linn Records) & Kate Bush - 50 Words for Snow (her own website) they both sound fantastic and they have both come from studio Hi-Res masters.

I have done the test 24/96>16/44 and noticed the 24/96 was smoother - but to be honest there is not a lot in it they both sound good and guess it depends on you DAC etc

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
sometimesuk said:
This link has helped loads!

http://www.stereophile.com/content/petition-better-sound

Whats the chances of What-Hifi magazine doing the same?

+1.. Some of us buy expensive systems yet we cn't even play well recorded music on them. This brings me back to the piont of recording studio's. I have been to too many & reconizge the fact that so many feel the need to compress the hell out of the music, to make it sound more loud & commercial. I would go as far as saying only about 20% of music sold is well recorded.

The whole music industry is floored as far as music is concerned. I think we are at a piont now were this needs to be adressed. With all this new tech on Hifi yet the music which is suppose to be communicated to us is recorded badly

Our systems can only sound as good as the music we play on it. So yes please WHF. :cry:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts