Pet hates

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
MajorFubar said:
plastic penguin said:
People who buy blind, based purely on reviews and find it doesn't suit their ears or room, and then come on here slagging off WHFI review... *diablo*
+1 One of my pet hates too. These people have been breeding recently, unfortunately.

I hate all the foo that goes with the hobby. No other hobby seems to have quite so much of it. Imagine photographers claiming their photos look better when stored on certain memory cards or when using a particular brand of rechargeable battery with their camera. Or them buying an esoteric USB cable to improve the quality of their prints. The equivalent of those kind of daft claims are welcomed and encouraged in hifi circles, and if you try to call them out, you're the bad guy. Whole scene is tainted by a minority of weirdos who think eg changing the fuse in their mainsplugs affects the sound quality in any perceivable way, and as a result, collectively the hifi community can't shake off the associated ridicule and the image of being full of strange eccentric batchelors with fair-isle sweaters.

Well, I’m listening to my radio in the kitchen and I can hear someone’s phone chip,chip,chip chirruping through its speaker. I’m also printing a 250 page report, which seems to printing just fine at the same time without any visible artefacts. So I would surmise that your comparative example is complete and utter balls!

This should silence the noises

https://youtu.be/18M72862KEI

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
insider9 said:
Craig M. said:
Defiantly instead of definitely! Seem to see it all the time, irritates the hell out of me.

Foo, ******** reviews, loudness wars. Stand mount speakers/small floorstanders that can’t be positioned anywhere near a wall. People who say “critical listening”. Hobbling a product so there can be an upgrade path. My other-half farting, I always seem to be down wind of it.
Don't you do critical listening? ;)

Defiantly not! *biggrin* It’s always just struck me as a pretentious phrase. I’ve only ever briefly toyed with being an audiophile though, so what do I know? *scratch_one-s_head*

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Well, I’m listening to my radio in the kitchen and I can hear someone’s phone chip,chip,chip chirruping through its speaker. I’m also printing a 250 page report, which seems to printing just fine at the same time without any visible artefacts. So I would surmise that your comparative example is complete and utter balls!

I don't get the relevance of anything you typed at all, other than we've established your kitchen radio has shite RF suppression of nearby mobile phones but unsurprisingly your printer couldn't care less. Sorry.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Craig M. said:
insider9 said:
Craig M. said:
Defiantly instead of definitely!  Seem to see it all the time, irritates the hell out of me.

Foo, ******** reviews, loudness wars.  Stand mount speakers/small floorstanders that can’t be positioned anywhere near a wall.  People who say “critical listening”.  Hobbling a product so there can be an upgrade path.  My other-half farting, I always seem to be down wind of it.
Don't you do critical listening? ;)

Defiantly not!  *biggrin*  It’s always just struck me as a pretentious phrase.  I’ve only ever briefly toyed with being an audiophile though, so what do I know? *scratch_one-s_head*

I, like you hate some of these phrases.

I hate the word audiophile
Because it reminds of someone that wets his pants on the release of a new power cable.

Also when people try win an argument based on 'your system is not revealing enough'

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Native English speakers who post that they 'brought' something when they mean they 'bought' something. It is always just a typo/poor autocorrect, or do they really not know the difference between these basic words in real life?

Similarly, 'then' and 'than': when did mixing up these unrelated words become an issue? Certainly no time last century or earlier.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Native English speakers who post that they 'brought' something when they mean they 'bought' something. It is always just a typo/poor autocorrect, or do they really not know the difference between these basic words in real life?

Similarly, 'then' and 'than': when did mixing up these unrelated words become an issue? Certainly no time last century or earlier.

I put it down to laziness Major. Lazy thinking and lazy pronunciation.

Texting has caused untold damage too.

Infiniteloop said:
MajorFubar said:

I put it down to laziness Major. Lazy thinking and lazy pronunciation.

Texting has caused untold damage too.
I defiantly agree. Brung it on! ;-)

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
photographers are just as bad as audiophiles and some of them even asked if buying fujifilm memory card will give them fuji velvia look..

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
lpv said:
photographers are just as bad as audiophiles and some of them even asked if buying fujifilm memory card will give them fuji velvia look..

That's just plain ignorance, ie not knowing any better. I'm pretty sure no-one replied "try it for yourself, if you think it does then it does, ignore the naysayers".

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Another one from me: local sole traders with websites quoting an email address as well as a phone number, but you know full well if you email an enquiry you won't ever get an answer. 'Van-based' tradesmen are the worst for this: plumbers, brickies, plasterers, decorators, roofers, sparkies, etc. Less so office-based professionals like solicitors, lawyers and accountants, etc. As a generalisation, the former are inept with IT and only have a website to start with because their "bird's" 10 year old nephew built it.

I get it that they usually don't have a secretary doing all their admin and handling customer relations while they're half way up a scaffold or building a ten foot wall, but if you can't devote time to answering emails, don't quote a f---ing email address. Ignoring emails just gives a bad impression of how much you value potential customers, and as a result, on principle I won't ever phone you instead, I'll just move on.

D

Deleted member 108165

My neighbours damned dog, barks at bloody everyone that comes within 50 feet of the house! Neighbours themselves are really very nice people, they got the dog after they moved in about 5 years ago. They've done a lot to the house, removed a dwarf brick wall and replaced it with a nice driveway at the the front of the house and also installed a nice big bay window overlooking the drive and pavement... these changes have also given the dog an uniterrupted and extended angular view of potential victims to bark at!

Being a permanent late-shift worker I don't go to bed until around 2am and like to rise around 10am... no such luck, the damned mutt will be barking as early as 7am some mornings. They used to leave it home alone until I complained to them that the mutt howls from the time they leave to the time they return, regardless of the time of day/night. When they first did this they left the dog alone overnight, it howled non-stop from 11pm to 6am! Fortunately I didn't have to work the following day.

There is some hope on the horizon though, they have recently sold and will be moving, sorry to see them go but not the ruddy dog. I'm hoping that the next occupier will not have a dog in tow.

insider9

DougK said:
My neighbours damned dog, barks at bloody everyone that comes within 50 feet of the house! Neighbours themselves are really very nice people, they got the dog after they moved in about 5 years ago. They've done a lot to the house, removed a dwarf brick wall and replaced it with a nice driveway at the the front of the house and also installed a nice big bay window overlooking the drive and pavement... these changes have also given the dog an uniterrupted and extended angular view of potential victims to bark at!

Being a permanent late-shift worker I don't go to bed until around 2am and like to rise around 10am... no such luck, the damned mutt will be barking as early as 7am some mornings. They used to leave it home alone until I complained to them that the mutt howls from the time they leave to the time they return, regardless of the time of day/night. When they first did this they left the dog alone overnight, it howled non-stop from 11pm to 6am! Fortunately I didn't have to work the following day. 

There is some hope on the horizon though, they have recently sold and will be moving, sorry to see them go but not the ruddy dog. I'm hoping that the next occupier will not have a dog in tow.   
This made me laugh, sorry. Good old fashioned mutt didn't convert to metric *biggrin*

I hope your new neighbours don't have a dog. I wonder what my neighbours make of me playing In the Court of a Crimson King at midnight :)

Loving how literally you took this thread.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
lpv said:

this is quite a good one.
If someone showed you a photo that looked more Fuji velvia because it was taken on a fuji memory card then what... ?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
ellisdj said:
lpv said:

this is quite a good one. If someone showed you a photo that looked more Fuji velvia because it was taken on a fuji memory card then what... ?

That’s a fictional scenario so there would be no “then what...?”

It might look like Velvia because Fujifilm cameras have in-camera settings that can emulate the look of certain film types, but that software does not reside on the memory card. This is probably where you are getting confused. The results of using an in-camera Velvia emulation setting would be identical whichever brand of memory card was used to store the images.

D

Deleted member 108165

insider9 said:
This made me laugh, sorry. Good old fashioned mutt didn't convert to metric *biggrin*

I hope your new neighbours don't have a dog. I wonder what my neighbours make of me playing In the Court of a Crimson King at midnight :)

Loving how literally you took this thread.

No need to apologise Insider it is laughable really, especially the changes they made to front of the house which improved the mutts available panorama *smile* Nothing like a good old increase in volume on the stereo to drown out the howls when it's left home alone... wish the mutt also had a volume control too. The joys of a semi with paperthin walls. The dog sees the husband as the alpha-male as it seldom barks when he's at home.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
ellisdj said:
lpv said:

this is quite a good one. If someone showed you a photo that looked more Fuji velvia because it was taken on a fuji memory card then what... ?

That’s a fictional scenario so there would be no “then what...?”

It might look like Velvia because Fujifilm cameras have in-camera settings that can emulate the look of certain film types, but that software does not reside on the memory card. This is probably where you are getting confused. The results of using an in-camera Velvia emulation setting would be identical whichever brand of memory card was used to store the images.

it's a hypothetical scenario if someone shows you the effect then what do you do?

that is what happens in HiFi all the time so it's very relevant

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
ellisdj said:
lpv said:

Why Velvia, Fuji made many different films why not Provia, Astia or Sesia, which Velvia I think there were 3 different versions? That's like saying don't use a Fuji memory card for portraits unless you like orange suntans, lol.

Eliss, you are talking absolute rubbish.

It's a wind up! I'm a photography hobbyist (like a lot of people) - nobody is stupid enough to think that the brand of SD card will impart a "digital effect" to an image.

Poor anal ogy!

tonky

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
ellisdj said:
lpv said:

Why Velvia, Fuji made many different films why not Provia, Astia or Sesia, which Velvia I think there were 3 different versions? That's like saying don't use a Fuji memory card for portraits unless you like orange suntans, lol.

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
1. When people or articles talk about 'Gapless' or 'Lostless' in regard to HiFi. Are they referring to the London underground and being lost..?

2. When I read component is Roon compatible. For heavensake Roon costs money and the way I understand is this Roon manages your music collection, to make it financially viable one must have at least 1000 albums, in that case I understand. I don't have 1000 albums, so I don't need a system to tell me what I have and what I might like!

3. When HiFi reviewers complement on the integrated sound of the speaker. All compartments tweeter, bass or whatever working together, how nice, but not knew. They never mention the speakers which do not sound integrated...! Ofcourse not it would be too honest and rude. So their descriptions are really meaningless, banal and just polite.

4. Now the 'modern language' and sadly the media allow people in the UK to say 'I was stood there' instead of the correct grammar 'I was standing there'. I hear it everywhere, an epidemic to our language and sadly it is here to stay. I wish I had an electric cattle prod and apply it to every person who used the incorrect form...!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
tonky said:
BigH said:
ellisdj said:
lpv said:

Why Velvia, Fuji made many different films why not Provia, Astia  or Sesia, which Velvia I think there were 3 different versions? That's like saying don't use a Fuji memory card for portraits unless you like orange suntans, lol.

Eliss, you are talking absolute rubbish.

It's a wind up! I'm a photography hobbyist (like a lot of people) - nobody is stupid enough to think that the brand of SD card will impart a "digital effect" to an image.

Poor anal ogy!  

tonky

Your also taking this literal but it's a good example still.

no-one is stupid enough to think it. Yet someone shows you it - then what?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts