Pet hates

insider9

What are yours? I have two related to hifi and music.

- Marketeers getting creative writing equipment specs

- Closed mic'ed vocals with huge reverb. You know when vocalist can't sing so you have to shove a mic down their throat to get some SPL out of it, then add reverb or delay to move the vocals deeper into the mix.

D

Deleted member 160668

1) Poor or half arsed recordings, where it could just sound sooo much better.

2) The silly ****** money some music costs, particularly if it’s rarer.

3) Live music: when tickets sell out in literally seconds and then are only available on resale sites at five million times the cost.

4) CD’s where the artist hasn’t bothered with a sleeve insert of additional info - pics/lyrics etc (I love CD’s).

5) The fact that a lot of recent releases are only available as MP3 download (which i’d never buy), or Vinyl as it’s so ‘in’ currently. As above, I love CDs.

6) Spotify not yet having a lossless option - More of a grumble and hopefully to be rectified at somepoint.

D

Deleted member 160668

Oooh! One more...

AUTOTUNE! If you can’t sing... don’t!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
People who come on here and ask for advise....when all they really want, is validation for their own opinion. If you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Trying to find a 2017 or 2018, original mainstream release with a dark green DR rating.

IE something that hasn't been compressed to within an inch of its' life.

jjbomber

insider9 said:
What are yours?

Incompatability is my main one in digital hi-fi. Everything should 'talk' to everything else.

Lack of tours. I don't want to go to festivals of 100 bands I've never heard of just to see a couple of bands. Bring back real touring. We have indoor festivals all winter, as well as loads every weekend. Big bands do the festivals these days rather than tour. I want real tours.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
People who buy blind, based purely on reviews and find it doesn't suit their ears or room, and then come on here slagging off WHFI review... *diablo*
+1 One of my pet hates too. These people have been breeding recently, unfortunately.

I hate all the foo that goes with the hobby. No other hobby seems to have quite so much of it. Imagine photographers claiming their photos look better when stored on certain memory cards or when using a particular brand of rechargeable battery with their camera. Or them buying an esoteric USB cable to improve the quality of their prints. The equivalent of those kind of daft claims are welcomed and encouraged in hifi circles, and if you try to call them out, you're the bad guy. Whole scene is tainted by a minority of weirdos who think eg changing the fuse in their mainsplugs affects the sound quality in any perceivable way, and as a result, collectively the hifi community can't shake off the associated ridicule and the image of being full of strange eccentric batchelors with fair-isle sweaters.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
What I hate is hifi companies blinding people with technology or cable companies not proving there claims about cables and the biggest hate is compressed music as it kills the joy of music and doesn’t give a true picture on how the artist wanted us to hear there work .

But this isn’t any different from any other hobby as people will always buy stuff thinking the next thing is bigger and better then the last thing they brought it’s in our nature to want better as we are all greedy people including myself. *biggrin*

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
plastic penguin said:
People who buy blind, based purely on reviews and find it doesn't suit their ears or room, and then come on here slagging off WHFI review... *diablo*
+1 One of my pet hates too. These people have been breeding recently, unfortunately.

I hate all the foo that goes with the hobby. No other hobby seems to have quite so much of it. Imagine photographers claiming their photos look better when stored on certain memory cards or when using a particular brand of rechargeable battery with their camera. Or them buying an esoteric USB cable to improve the quality of their prints. The equivalent of those kind of daft claims are welcomed and encouraged in hifi circles, and if you try to call them out, you're the bad guy. Whole scene is tainted by a minority of weirdos who think eg changing the fuse in their mainsplugs affects the sound quality in any perceivable way, and as a result, collectively the hifi community can't shake off the associated ridicule and the image of being full of strange eccentric batchelors with fair-isle sweaters.
A friend of mine who is high into photography actually says they are just as bad with snake oil in that hobby also. He told me good example of top photographer with lots of awards used his van as dark room in the desert. I think in any hobby there will always be the obsessed bs prophet.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
He told me good example of top photographer with lots of awards used his van as dark room in the desert.

I think in any hobby there will always be the obsessed bs prophet.

That just sounds really resourceful. But I did think that the days when pros or semi-pros needed a darkroom on location ended about 20 years ago.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Defiantly instead of definitely! Seem to see it all the time, irritates the hell out of me.

Foo, ******** reviews, loudness wars. Stand mount speakers/small floorstanders that can’t be positioned anywhere near a wall. People who say “critical listening”. Hobbling a product so there can be an upgrade path. My other-half farting, I always seem to be down wind of it.

insider9

Craig M. said:
Defiantly instead of definitely!  Seem to see it all the time, irritates the hell out of me.

Foo, ******** reviews, loudness wars.  Stand mount speakers/small floorstanders that can’t be positioned anywhere near a wall.  People who say “critical listening”.  Hobbling a product so there can be an upgrade path.  My other-half farting, I always seem to be down wind of it.
Don't you do critical listening? ;)

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
plastic penguin said:

Well, I’m listening to my radio in the kitchen and I can hear someone’s phone chip,chip,chip chirruping through its speaker. I’m also printing a 250 page report, which seems to printing just fine at the same time without any visible artefacts. So I would surmise that your comparative example is complete and utter balls!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts