Perforated dust cap on B&W 602 S3

functious

Apr 17, 2021
Visit site
I am looking at purchasing some B&W 602 S3s, however, one of the dust caps is perforated on the mid-bass driver. How much will this affect the sound? And if so how easily repairable would it be?

182478947_3735218903272040_2587319725552775110_n.jpg

I think it’s destroyed, rather than merely perforated. That type of design can sometimes operate as part of the reproduction of mid-range sounds as well, so I can’t imagine it would be within spec. Unless very cheap I’d keep looking.

D

Deleted member 116933

I seem to find B&W speakers seem to suffer from a lot of driver damage on the second-hand market and its very rare for them not to have some sort of driver damage. But the prices some of them are still fetching is very surprising. Clean versions tend to go for obscene amounts.

When its come to driver damage its like an iceberg its a lot bigger under the surface

Its a shame really

Reactions: Al ears
I seem to find B&W speakers seem to suffer from a lot of driver damage on the second-hand market and its very rare for them not to have some sort of driver damage. But the prices some of them are still fetching is very surprising. Clean versions tend to go for obscene amounts.

When its come to driver damage its like an iceberg its a lot bigger under the surface

Its a shame really
I would agree that some of the prices they are asking for damages goods seems a bit ridiculous, you could buy a brand new pair of speakers for that sort of money.
personally I would go any where near them unless they are at a give away price and spare drivers are readily available.

functious

Apr 17, 2021
Visit site
I would agree that some of the prices they are asking for damages goods seems a bit ridiculous, you could buy a brand new pair of speakers for that sort of money.
personally I would go any where near them unless they are at a give away price and spare drivers are readily available.

I wasn't aware the problem was so endemic!

I'd agreed to £100 before I realised how bad the damage was, I thought it was just a bit dented and wouldn't affect the sound.

It seems I can buy one on Ebay for £50. Would replacing the driver be straightforward? (Sorry, I'm not particularly familiar with this kind of stuff).
not familiar with this model but yes it's normally case of unscrewing the driver and removing two wires from the back of it. Just make sure you reattach the wires to the correct terminals on the replacement driver before screwing it back in place.

spooks1982

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
From my memory of owning the 602 s3 I think this was a really great speaker for the money! So much so that I often think about getting another pair. Would try and find a nice set though and not rush into buying any old tat.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts