Percentage of budget to each component?

VinylTrousers

Dec 13, 2020
Visit site
Hi everyone, I'm new here and new to decent equipment . My first question is: if I had a set budget of £1500 (for example) to buy a turntable, integrated amp and speakers, how should I divi it up, presumably just apportioning a third of the budget to each component is too simplistic, so what are your recommendations? Ta very much!

How big is your room and what genres are most important to you? If the room's big and bass is important, you might have to opt for floorstanders - which could alter the balance.

In simple terms though, starting you shortlist for demo with a roughly three way split isn't daft - just don't feel the need to stick to it with too much rigidity.

Reactions: VinylTrousers

VinylTrousers

Dec 13, 2020
Visit site
How big is your room and what genres are most important to you? If the room's big and bass is important, you might have to opt for floorstanders - which could alter the balance.

In simple terms though, starting you shortlist for demo with a roughly three way split isn't daft - just don't feel the need to stick to it with too much rigidity.
Thanks for the reply, my room is fairly small - just a single bedroom. As for the music I like: mostly classic rock, prog rock and heavy metal. Cheers

VinylTrousers

Dec 13, 2020
Visit site
I was looking at the Audio-Technica LP5X and the Cambridge Audio AXA35. But I'm still trying to understand how to pair speakers with amps! I do like the B&W 607 S2's though. Any other recommendations for speakers?

I was looking at the Audio-Technica LP5X and the Cambridge Audio AXA35. But I'm still trying to understand how to pair speakers with amps! I do like the B&W 607 S2's though. Any other recommendations for speakers?
Not bad speakers but will depend a lot on positioning, best audition them if you can
Note that the amplifier already has a phono stage so you don't need one on that turntable as well

Reactions: VinylTrousers

Gray

I'm still trying to understand how to pair speakers with amps!
It can be done by matching quoted specs alone.
Best to be done by listening.

You've got the trousers, but do you own plenty of vinyl to play?
I ask because when I bought my first turntable, it was the ultimate source for quality. Not sure I'd even include vinyl as a source if I was starting out now.....especially with the cost of (new) records.

Last edited:
I’d suggest listening to a variety of speakers between, say, £300 and £600 to get a feel for what the budget will achieve. Once you know the speakers you like, you can choose a suitable amp - with help here, from the reviews, and your dealer. Then decide on the source.

Bear in mind, if you can find suitable combination from one dealer you may well get a ‘bundle‘ deal, a discount, or some cables included - or all of those.

Something like this for £999 gets you in effect a free CD player, with headroom for a £500 turntable and cartridge.
https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/...te-cd11-tribute-bowers-wilkins-607-black.html

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts