Question Peachtree GaN 1

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
How? Because it's meant for a purely digital system. To my logic anyway, please do read my later comments which explain more.

The marketing seems to be all about having the latest and supposedly best tech.

By the way, I think you meant earlier comments, not later ones..

Bear with me, I may be repeating what has been said before in this thread but is still worth repeating, even if obvious:

John Darko has released a follow up video to his review and it clarifies some things nicely. Because this a digital amplifier, I have to emphasise, YOU WILL NOT USE A DAC. This amp effectively acts as a power DAC.

What this also means, for turntable users, is that you'll need a streamer/bridge that converts analogue inputs to digital. And lo and behold, the Bluesound Node does that. But it may not be desirable for some.

So for better or worse, this amp really is for a digital system.

So according to you, if you buy this beast and a Bluesound Node, you won’t be able to use the digital outputs from your CDT and record deck, you will have to use their analogue outputs instead. How can you then say this "really is for a digital system", it is less digital. If you really want a digital system, you get a class D integrated amp with a digital pipeline and digital inputs.

This seems to be the next great thing, sold on the basis of how and not why, with unprovable fairy tale claims of superior sound.

manicm

The marketing seems to be all about having the latest and supposedly best tech.

By the way, I think you meant earlier comments, not later ones..

So according to you, if you buy this beast and a Bluesound Node, you won’t be able to use the digital outputs from your CDT and record deck, you will have to use their analogue outputs instead. How can you then say this "really is for a digital system", it is less digital. If you really want a digital system, you get a class D integrated amp with a digital pipeline and digital inputs.

This seems to be the next great thing, sold on the basis of how and not why, with unprovable fairy tale claims of superior sound.

Let's take this one step at a time.

1. The GAN1 does not seem to be a 'Power DAC' as some digital amps that have come before. Peachtree claim this 95% pure digital amp is DACless, the 5% being the analogue speaker output.

2. You can add a CDT, you add it to a component like the Bluesound Node which has digital inputs.

3. You can add a turntable, again to a digital bridge like the Node - BUT; the Node's phono input is actually digitalised ala Linn, Technics and others, and logically the only way you can use one in a system with the GAN1 amp. So, as I said in my comments, this may not please turntable or analogue aficionados.

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
Let's take this one step at a time.

1. The GAN1 does not seem to be a 'Power DAC' as some digital amps that have come before. Peachtree claim this 95% pure digital amp is DACless, the 5% being the analogue speaker output.

2. You can add a CDT, you add it to a component like the Bluesound Node which has digital inputs.

3. You can add a turntable, again to a digital bridge like the Node - BUT; the Node's phono input is actually digitalised ala Linn, Technics and others, and logically the only way you can use one in a system with the GAN1 amp. So, as I said in my comments, this may not please turntable or analogue aficionados.

Okay, point 2) clarifies the inputs, that is sensible.

Point 1) is just the implementation. It could have blue cheese and marmite inside for all I care. In fact that would make it easier to know if it was overheating,

It makes me wonder why they didn’t produce a preamp with suitable input, the Bluesound devices don’t half look naff, in my subjective opinion. I didn’t buy a Powernode because the plastic case looks really cheap IMO.

manicm

Okay, point 2) clarifies the inputs, that is sensible.

Point 1) is just the implementation. It could have blue cheese and marmite inside for all I care. In fact that would make it easier to know if it was overheating,

It makes me wonder why they didn’t produce a preamp with suitable input, the Bluesound devices don’t half look naff, in my subjective opinion. I didn’t buy a Powernode because the plastic case looks really cheap IMO.

It would let down many of their customers, shelling out 2k for the GAN1, knowing they've got nothing to connect it to, except for the Node.

You want a good chuckle? On their own website they shamelessly include the Node with the GAN1 in the pics! That should tell you all you need to know, for now 😉😉

Reactions: WayneKerr and Noddy

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
What you do need with this amplifier is something like my Atoll Electronique DAC100 Signature. It is a DAC but can be used as a digital input switcher. The Node cannot accommodate USB audio but this device can. Not to mention that the single TOSLINK (no Coax) input of the Node is combined with the stereo input, so it is either one or the other.

Not for the faint of heart (and/or wallet).

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
In order to do justice to this amplifier with turntable playback and be able to use your CD/TV/Playstation you to need have the following chain:

Turntable -> phono stage -> standalone ADC -> Atoll Electronique DAC100 Signature -> Bluesound Node (digital volume control) -> Peachtree GAN 1

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Now that I think of it, if the Peachtree GAN 1 had a USB input it would be much more usable than it is now.

Most turntables and phono stages have USB outputs, not Coaxial. Those with a digital output that is.

Also, most PCs, laptops, smartphones have USB outputs, not Coaxial.

Clarification: USB in addition to Coaxial.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts