PCM or Bitstream through HDMI ? Also how do I display the format ?

umbucker

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
I am running a Pioneer SC-LX85 with a BDP-LX55 Blu Ray Player and as far as I can see it is best to run PCM through HDMI while using the PQLS function. The problem is I want to be able to display the surround sound format on my AV receiver, rather than just "PCM" which is what is displayed at the moment... What should I have my Blu ray set to for this PCM or bitstream, as I understand it the PQLS function will work on bitstream as well, however when I select this mode on my blu ray player it still has "PCM" displayed on the AV receiver....?

Cheers

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Bitstream through HDMI

When you set it to bitstream for movies i believe it has to be set via the home menu without a disc in then restart & it should store it properly. On my Pioneer BDP-320 i just set to bitstream on home menu without a restart & it was fine.

Regards ..

A

Anonymous

Bitstream is supposed to be better option.Still sometimes LPCM can sound better if source player can do it better.I felt with some moviews played in HTPC.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I would always set to LPCM. There won't be any difference in sound quality - and you will be able to hear any additional soundtracks, such as special features or commentary.

With bitstream you will only hear the primary track. The only thing bitstreaming will give you is the Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD lights showing on the receivers display panel instead of LPCM.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
AnotherJoe said:
I would always set to LPCM. There won't be any difference in sound quality - and you will be able to hear any additional soundtracks, such as special features or commentary.

That is of course assuming you want someone talking all over the top of your movie. So just like going to the Cinema with crisp packets
smiley-wink.gif

AnotherJoe said:
With bitstream you will only hear the primary track. The only thing bitstreaming will give you is the Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD lights showing on the receivers display panel instead of LPCM.

That may well be true, although over HDMI 1.3 & above connections as the original DTS-HD Master Audio & Dolby TrueHD bitstream, with decoding & DAC are both done by the AV receiver.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts