PCM indication on pioneer amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Dear All Hope someone can help. I purchased my first blu ray disc a few days ago (the dark knight), put it my sony blu ray player, press the remote for my pioneer amp a pioneer VSX-920 and i had expected that on the LED display a "Dolby HD or true HD" display would come up, instead teh words "PCM" light up. ive looked at the manual and it doesnt explain what this means. Is this fine? Also, the dark Knight starts off full screen ( I assmume this is the IMAX aspect ratio then it goes to letter box and if youre conscious of this it becomes annoying when you watch the movie. Is there anyway I can watch the movie not in letter box ratio? Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Have you set the audio to come over hdmi from player to amp. You may have to go into the settup menus and assign this. Not sure if your remote has a sig sel button try this for assigning audio to inputs

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
This disc defaults to Dolby Digital if you just press play or have auto play enabled. You'll have to bring up the pop up menu and change the audio to True HD. make sure your Sont player's digital output is set to bitstream, not PCM.

A

Anonymous

Guys thanks for the input. So ill have to bring up a menu on the screen using the blu ray remote to change the setting? Am I right?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Er, yes, it's the blu-ray player decoding the soundtrack to PCM, so you need to it (the blu-ray player) to stop doing that and bitstream instead. Then you'll get the correct display on the amp and the pretty blue light.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that..now what about the aspect ratio chaning automatically? can I get a full screen aspect ratio instead of the letter box one? Ive tried to establish if I can change the bloomin aspect ratio...from the 3 remotes tv, amp and blu ray and (im probably missing something) ( a brain???) i havent found a button to press so that I can do this. Any takers??

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
With The Dark Knight it defaults to Dolby so you need to go into the settings menu on the blu-Ray itself and select True HD.

@ lhc. Thanks for confirming that about the aspect ratio. I thought my bdp and/or TV was on it's way out and was getting a bit uptight about it :)

A

Anonymous

Guys thanks a bunck Ill keep you posted on results. Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts