PC to TV - how to fix audio?

Portoman

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
Hi

I want to connect my pc to my Panasonic Viera tv but Im not sure how to do the audio. I have connected the visuals but the audio only works if I put the computer by the tv and I play it through the computer speakers, which means a lot of messing around. Can someone suggest a simple way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Can you explain the setup.

Does your PC have a HDMI port? Which speakers do you have with your PC?

If you connect the HDMI port you will be using the TV speakers and if your PC is onl you can use the phono's or optical cable from the back to the TV, again this will use the TV speakers, not your PC speakers.

Portoman

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
There isn't a HDMI port but I bought an attachment that fits to the monitor slot and allows me to attach an HDMI cable - but that is being use to connect to the tv's HDMI for the visual. It wont play the audio this way - there is even a message I get on the computer telling me this. The pc speakers are just bog standard ones that connect to the computer audio point.

drichardb

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to be a pain and ask for more info but I have a few more questions which should help towards finding a solution.

First up, do you use a dedicated graphics card and if so what model is it?

Do you use the on board sound from your motherboard or do you have a dedicated sound card, again if so what model?

ideally can you also list the make and model of your motherboard.

Once these three are known it won't be too difficult to figure out the best approach.

Cheers

R

iMark

I have connected quite a few computers to TV's.

My MacBook has a mini-DVI port. I have an adapter so I can plug it into an HDMI port. For audio I use a regular audio cable. Some TV's, like my father-in-law's Viera have a dedicated audio (left/right) in for PC's. His Viera has both VGA and HDMI in for a computer. I think the audio in ports for a computer are located near HDMI 4 (IIRC).

If your Viera is quite recent, there should be a section in the manual.

Our Sony TV has a similar setup, but a mini RCA in for audio. I just have to use a different cable. I have a little cable bag which I stuff with a few audio/video first aid cables whenever we travel. Sometimes TV's are quite old and don't have HDMI or DVI. I have used a scart adapter in the past

I suppose the simplest way (without any messing about with cables) would be a video streamer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts