PC music through home cinema help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I've managed to get a fairly decent collection of albums on my PC and am now wondering how to connect it up to my home cinema system to get the best sound quality.

I currently have it hooked up using a very basic 3.5m jack to RCA's, but is there a way of significantly upgrading the sound i am getting by maybe changing the soundcard or getting a DAC etc?

Thanks for your help all, i know this has been mentioned on here before, i just wanna make sure that i'm not gonna make a b***s-up
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

Whats your soundcard?
with the onkyo, id be looking at the asus xonar soundcard with hdmi1.3a, it can also encode into dts or DD if you wish.

A

Anonymous

Various things to take into account here. All the following options will help improve the sound you are getting at the moment.

1) Does your PC have a optical digital out? If so as long as your PC isn't too far from your receiver you can run an optical cable between your PC and the receiver (what is it, by the way?).

2) Do you have a wireless network? If so you could add an Apple Airport Express which you can then plug into your receiver.

3) With either of these options you can then add a DAC such as a Beresford or a Cambridge Audio DacMagic which will further improve the sound.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Its a Dell Dimension 5150, the soundcard that's built in doesn't have an optical out i'm afraid, just the 3.5mm headphone jack. It says its a SigmaTel HD. Am i looking at the right info do you think? That's all it says for audio devices.

Thanks for the help mate

A

Anonymous

richardjlarby made an interesting point, if you are looking to play movies from your PC too his suggestion is worth looking at.

If not, do you have a wireless network connection?ÿ

A

Anonymous

Not really too bothered about playing movies on my PC really mate, i have PS3 for Blu-Ray/upscale and a HD DVD drive for my Xbox. I do have a wireless network, a BT homehub 2.

Are there any soundcards with a stereo connection? If so would they be worth a look?

Cheers
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

I wouldn't go down the soundcard route.

If you don't mind using iTunes I'd get an AE (£64), add a Beresford (£110). The all you'll need is an optical cable (£10) and some RCA interconnects (Up to you, really).

John Duncan

I'm with Octopo, but would even miss out the Beresford for the time being, since the DAC in the Onkyo will be ok to start with - it's the lossless files from the 'pooter that are the big step up, IME. You can always add the external DAC later.

A

Anonymous

You mean like SACD? If so no, just stereo.

What do you think to a Logitech Squeezebox? I've just been checking them out on amazon and they seem to do what i'm after

Cheers

A

Anonymous

The Squeeze is a good option, I've not heard it mentioned so much recently on the forums but it's great. I borrowed the Duet for a few weeks and it truly does sink into the background - what you want technology to do.

In honesty to get that kind of functionality out of an AE you'll need an Apple touch (whatever) which will send the price spiraling over the cost of the Duet.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Do you mean an ipod touch? If so i've got one actually.

What extra could i get out of an AE then?

Cheers for your help mate

A

Anonymous

I have no experience with the AE, or using the iPod touch as a remote. This particular set up has been commented on frequently (and well recomended) so a quick search should find you some answers.ÿ

John Duncan

Connect your iPod Touch to your wireless network. Download 'Remote' from the app store. Run iTunes on your PC or Mac - you can then control it from your iPod. It's not flawless, but it makes for a cheap setup with an Airport Express, seeing as you have the Touch already.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Sorry for not replying on this sooner, thanks for the help here. Think i'm gonna go for the apple option then, i've downloaded the remote app and am currently using it with my pc hooked up via a 3.5mm to phono lead.

So far i'd say it sounds.....passable i suppose but, as expected, not all that good. Question is, once i have an AE setup via optical for example, will the sound be noticeably better?

Thanks again for the help with this

GJ

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi, have you considered a NAS drive you could stream your music to your PS3 and connect to your amp via optical to play your music. I believe the touch or a PSP controller would allow you to operate it without turning your tv on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts