PC Music help me i know almost nothing!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Im not very good pc wise so please bear with me.

Im trying to sort out my pc based music, my ipod, itunes.

Ive got a mains powered seagate external hard drive, that i want to keep all my music on. My ipod classic is full of songs and the info is all over the place. I have all my ipod, and other ipod music copied and stored to another Hdrive using a program called sharepod ( i would recommend this program by the way ). lovely.

Want to start again.

What i really would like is another program, that i could open each album (eg folder) up one at a time, and edit all the album info (tags is it?), so that when i do re-import it to i-tunes, all the info is correct and good.

So it would have to be a free program for music (tag???) editing.

Can anyone suggest anything?

cheers dave, Ipod and a zen and no music organised!!!!!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
reggaedave:
Im not very good pc wise so please bear with me.

Im trying to sort out my pc based music, my ipod, itunes.

Ive got a mains powered seagate external hard drive, that i want to keep all my music on. My ipod classic is full of songs and the info is all over the place. I have all my ipod, and other ipod music copied and stored to another Hdrive using a program called sharepod ( i would recommend this program by the way ). lovely.

Want to start again.

What i really would like is another program, that i could open each album (eg folder) up one at a time, and edit all the album info (tags is it?), so that when i do re-import it to i-tunes, all the info is correct and good.

So it would have to be a free program for music (tag???) editing.

Can anyone suggest anything?

cheers dave, Ipod and a zen and no music organised!!!!!

are these mp3s? In any case, I would just drag and drop into Windows Media Player 11 and it will do the rest. Then, if you move them back to iTunes, all the artwork and tags will be there.

A

Anonymous

mp3s yeah, ive never really used wmp tho but ok its an idea...

idc

I have used itunes itself to edit loads of stuff, create my own various and best of albums.

The basics are to use Ctrl and shift to batch select tracks, usually by album, then right click and then you can edit information in the various boxes that come up. You can also retrieve artwork. If no artwork is available then I use Amazon and copy and paste into the artwork box that comes up as described above in the edits available.

Once you have done this then Consolidate Library, which will put all you music (including other stuff on you PC) into one place. I have not done that, but I am pretty sure it asks you where you want to put it, so you would tell it in your new hard drive.

It is not the easiest site to search, but Apple has various tutorials on how to do stuff. http://www.apple.com/itunes/how-to/

John Duncan

idc has it on the button here, iTunes has everything you need. Do a consolidation to get it all in one place, and use iTunes itself to edit the tags. Don't know why you'd do it in WMP and then import into iTunes, particularly since it won't necessarily edit the tags on files themselves, but in its own library file...

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:idc has it on the button here, iTunes has everything you need. Do a consolidation to get it all in one place, and use iTunes itself to edit the tags. Don't know why you'd do it in WMP and then import into iTunes, particularly since it won't necessarily edit the tags on files themselves, but in its own library file...

Indeed, my understanding, too, is that wmp doesnt really tag, in the true sense of the word (tho it still uses the word).

Im a fan of wmp, but only for its library and playback, i dont rip with it, and certainly dont "tag" with it.

Tho it isnt necassarily a bad ripper. i used to think it was awful, but am now undecided.

Mind, tagging with a good programme helps, but you have to make sure you keep things consistent. If you think you may not have done, something like MP3tagger might be useful.

A

Anonymous

Windows Media Player is not really a reliable tagger. Try a dedicated program like Mp3Tag which reads just about any type of metatag and allows you to bulk rename, renumber tags, add remove embedded artwork and rename filenames as well as retrieving Album information from a number of sources.

It's free and it works.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts