Passive Analogue CDout to AMPin Box

neddy999

Oct 12, 2021
Visit site
Hi there People,

does anyone out there remember the manufacturer or model number of a passive box which was to be introduced between the CD analogue output and the CD input of the amplifier. This was in the early days of CD (mid 80s ?) and it was "supposed" to make CD sound less digital.

As far as I remember this box was designed to emulate some of the physical characteristics (failings?) of a cartridge, I think crosstalk was mentioned as the main idea behind it. I also seem to remember it was a sealed unit with flying phono leads so it
would replace the existing CD to AMP phono lead. I think it was about the size of a cigarette packet and filled with gunk so how it worked and what it contained could not be ascertained. Pretty sure this was about the time Mr Jimmy Hughes was featured a lot in the magazine.

I never heard it; I am just trying to remember what it was

thanks in advance
Neddy
Edit/Delete Message

Gray

Funny how these things are described as preamps - when they work by attenuating the signal.
Even funnier that there might be some device designed to compromise CD by adding crosstalk :).

Here's one I made earlier:
IMG_20211012_181532.jpg
Yours for £79.95 :LOL:

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears

shadders

Hi,
Even when the system is sold commercially, people still make the snobbery comment that they look DIY - from the casing style. This was a recent comment about an amplifier which was not popular (on another forum).

If the unit was priced £500, marketed with lots of pseudo-science, such as 0.1% accuracy metal film resistors, gold plated PCB connections etc., then i am sure they would be seen as a good buy and get rave reviews.

I am sure the product meets all requirements functionally.

Regards,
Shadders.

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts