Passed the point of buying new music?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Fred_Barker said:
Overdose said:
The drum and bass outfit?

Yes! the very same outfit - checkout the track "The Other Side" from the album "In Silico" - a good old fashioned foot tapper!!

Interesting, seems this 'In Silico' album is a bit of a departure from 'Hold Your Colour'. I'll have to add that to my list.

For all those parents of young children who seem to have stopped listening to music, it won't be long before the kids themselves are listening and then you'll have plenty of 'new' music to listen to and it'll probably be too loud. ;)

Fred_Barker

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Hey MajorFubar and other interested readers:

Quote "Sadly I'm beginning to think I've reached that age (or maybe age is completely irrelevant)." Unquote

Don't give up!

I'm an OAP and I began to find CD's were a bit of a pain to keep loading into the player, so streaming has been a great experience for me, as I'm sometimes listening to music for up to 8 hours a day.

I enjoy quite an eclectic mix of genres from Classical to Dubstep / Trip-Hop. (BTW: The only Adele song I can tolerate is "Rolling In the Deep").

I have a meagre collection of 7k tracks which I play on "Shuffle" from an iTunes Smart Playlist where Playcount is < 3 etc. I'm just playing "Persephone" by Wishbone Ash, from 1976 ripped from a CD I purchased on Amazon for 1p (yes 1p). Only recently discovered that song!

For the some of the "Best tracks you (may not have) ever heard" - try Dizzy Mizz Lizzy for neat guitar work, musicality and harmonies. in particular the songs "Silver Flame" or "Love Is a Loser's Game".

The Scorpions are still making great music too!

More recently I have purchased CD's from: "Blackfield", "Porcupine Tree", "Pendulum" and "Thirteen Senses" - try checking those out on https://play.spotify.com/ - that should keep you busy for a while! - Good luck!

"Perfection is a journey, not a destination..."

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Resurrecting am old thread here.

My opinion is that we are more likely to want to listen to the music we grew up with, reminds us or takes us back to our youth. Whether that be a good or bad thing I'm not sure.

I have however discovered one new to me artist in 2013 who I don't think is that well known this side of the atlantic. Justin Nozuka is his name. I found him via LastFM well worth listening to some of his material, in fact I dowloaded a couple of his albums from i-Tunes.

Well worth a listen you may even like!

Reactions: Fred_Barker

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
I myself have really tried to listen to new music. Nothing mainstream from the iTunes chart, but stuff under the radar. NME etc; But like what has already been touched on here, essentially there is nothing new in music now. Its all been done before. I do try to listen to a broader spectrum of music these days. But that's about it !

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I listen music A LOT, mostly 90% of it new.. There's so much new music around, like never before - if I would throw some names you wouldn't know a single one. Try Bandcamp, Bleep, music blogs, NTS Radio, Wire Magazine... I could easily spend £1000 on new music only every month.

Looking constantly for new music is in my blood.

i buy more new music now than i ever did.. i go to gigs more now than i did in my teens and twenties.

i mostly listen to metal, which has a massive scene, with more sub-genres than you can think of.

i'm in my fourties, (just) and enjoying music more than ever!

stone sour is one of my current favourites.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
i buy more new music now than i ever did.. i go to gigs more now than i did in my teens and twenties.

i mostly listen to metal, which has a massive scene, with more sub-genres than you can think of.

i'm in my fourties, (just) and enjoying music more than ever!

stone sour is one of my current favourites.

Dunno if you like very heavy, tech-prog, space metal, but I got bought 'Uneven Structure - Februus' for Christmas........ Very, very good.

Here's one of the mellower tracks as a taster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzgiehmio10&list=PL90B3B2650A6C212A

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
lpv said:
I listen music A LOT, mostly 90% of it new.. There's so much new music around, like never before - if I would throw some names you wouldn't know a single one. Try Bandcamp, Bleep, music blogs, NTS Radio, Wire Magazine... I could easily spend £1000 on new music only every month.

I agree, me too... feel free to take a look at;

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Mac

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Forever trying to find new music to listen to - and struggle. Plenty of good individual songs but very hard to find bands/albums that make we want to part with my money. Spotify premium has helped a lot though.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Macspur said:
lpv said:

Mac

Cheers Mac.. your blog is in my bookmarks already:)

Spotify users - find Pitchfork in 'app finder' good source for new music, they have website too http://pitchfork.com/best/

List of music blogs is endless, I also listen Gilles Peterson www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01fm4ss every week

Benji B www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00v4tv3

Bleep podcast www.bleep.com/podcast

Bandcamp podcast www.bandcamp.com

selected NTS Radio shows www.ntslive.co.uk/shows-a-z/

... and blogs, blogs, blogs and record label's newsletters

life is not enough :)

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
lpv said:
Macspur said:
lpv said:

Mac

Cheers Mac.. your blog is in my bookmarks already:)

Spotify users - find Pitchfork in 'app finder' good source for new music, they have website too http://pitchfork.com/best/

List of music blogs is endless, I also listen Gilles Peterson http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01fm4ss every week

Benji B http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00v4tv3 www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00v4tv3

Bleep podcast https://bleep.com/podcast

Bandcamp podcast https://bandcamp.com

selected NTS Radio shows http://ntslive.co.uk/shows-a-z/

... and blogs, blogs, blogs and record label's newsletters

life is not enough :)

Oops sorry, thought you rang a bell!

smiley-smile.gif

Thanks for all the other sites too.

Mac

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
busb said:
Quite why some lose interest due to parenting, I've never got to the bottom of. If you need to pack away your system for a year - use an iPod rather than giving up on music. As for WAGs not wanting thumping great sqeakers dominating their living space - I'm far fussier without any help from a partner, thank you very much.

I'm making an incredibly broad-brush assumption that currently you don't have babies or young kids. If that's wrong then fair enough, but in my case it wasn't about finding the space, the HiFi was always there, it was about finding the time and energy. We had twins and for the first couple of years it was just a mad cycle of feed/poop/puke/change nappies/washing and drying baby-grows/fitting in a full-time job/trying to catch some sleep. You could have bought me an MP3 player and it would just have sat there and gathered dust.

If you've never been there it's difficult to explain what a massive impact having kids (epecially multiple births) has on your life. I couldn't have been less interested in music and HiFi.

Your assumption is correct - I don't have & are unlikely to start having children. However, I do know loads of people who've had children & children that have left home. Some of those managed to still listen to music much as they did before marriage & some almost only listen to the same music as they were listening to back then, despite having the time if not the inclination. I'll stop listening to music once I'm dead then it's who knows. I'm not completely convinced that marriage is to blame. I can understand that buying new music is not a priority when having to purchase cloths that only last a few months, endless toys, 100s of batteries etc but many still only listen to the same music once they have the time - that's the bit that saddens me.

I've just listened to some chiptunes - I'd better self-sensor my opinions. As for new music, I don't personally draw a huge distinction between new to me & new to everyone.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts