Partner for Krell

Dr Beat

Sep 15, 2008
Visit site
Hi

all

A mate of mine is thinking of getting the Krell KAV 2250 power amp with the matching Krell KAV 280p pre-amp. We went to demo it over the weekend and it sounded great (it was partnered to the Proac D38), source Krell KAV CD player. Being music simpletons, we of course, turned towards the WHF review and could only find a review of the KAV 2250, which ended with that the power amp could be better matched. It did not say which pre-amp would be a better match. Has anyone any idea which pre-amp would be a better match for the KAV 2250 than the KAV 280p?

On a second note, my friend is getting a better deal if he gets the matching Proac D38 too. Should he stinge and get the Proac D28? or should he try to try other speakers? But which ones would suit the Krell sound? My mate is thinking PMC OB1.

We value all opinions. We are mere hifi simpletons, looking for guidance and advice. Many thanks in advance.

PS: i derive great pleasure spending my mate's cash on hifi - don't we all?

sometimesuk

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
Alright mate,

You might get a more replies posting on this forum http://forum.hifichoice.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=2

There are lots of people there who have spent thousands on Hifi, and also has reviewers and dealers who post there too.

Personally, my advice would be this.

Find a yourself a good dealer, who has a proper listening room and will let you take stuff home to try. I would assume that any Krell dealer would meet this requirement.

Ask to listen to different brands of equipment in the same price bracket. You'll be surprised at the differences. Then think about which you preffer.

Ask for, but take with a pinch of salt, the dealers advice, as they have experience creating systems, and may be able to put something together that suits your mates tastes better.

As for going for the better speakers, its a case of does he have the money and do they suit the proposed system (sounds like they do). As with so many hobbies, the more you spend the better things get, though there is the law of diminishing returns.

Having said all that, I would love to have those krell amps myself, just wish I had the money!

T

the record spot

Hell, if we're going to up the ante from the poor simpletons on here, I'd get over to the Steve Hoffman Forums - there's guys there that use McIntosh valve kit to toast their marshmallows...

Anyway, so, two music simpletons with thousands to spend, well, one does...want to get some Krell kit. Good for you boys, roll with it!

What kind of music do you like, do you think the Krell is what you want? How have you come to this conclusion beyond "it sounded great" like a hifi Tony The Tiger?

Have a look at some EAR/Yoshino kit, also - hey! - McIntosh, used Audio Research kit (unless he really does have some serious £000s to spend in which case buy new), Electrocompaniet, Pathos or Esotric to name a few. Fill your boots as they say. If you can lift some of that gear, you're doing well.

I suppose the nagging thing about all this is you've kind of gone from "No idea" to "hey, let's buy Krell!" in one sweet move without due consideration if you want to spend that amount of money (or if you really need to) to achieve the kid of sound you want to hear. In which case, you could buy other kit that'll leave enough loose change to get some music to play on it.

Your call obviously and you're mate's in a very fortunate position to be able to get this quality of kit. I'm not trying to put you off, but do question your rationale.

Dr Beat

Sep 15, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the advice Mate.

I told my friend so, but what can i say he is an impulsive guy who read WHF review of the Krell KAV 2250 and said that is it for him. Anyway, he has changes his mine and , gone to order the Plinius M8/ M10 combo, and get this, because WHF HiFi Ultimate Guide said this was perfect (or so , in not so many words). I guess, some people who are simpletons, listen to what they consider as "the ultimate guidance and advice" and trust it implicitly. The rest of it , as they say' "will fit in". His choice of speakers.......Proac D28........why, because......WHF review said so.

Anyway, the earlier advice of writing to the HFC forum was not good advice. have you seen that forum??? It ain't half as lively nor as responsive as our WHF.

BTW, my mate is an ex-banker, who just got laid off and decided retail therapy was the best way to console himself. I have also told him if he needs to unload the equipment when reality sets in, i am there for him........for under 100 quid
emotion-10.gif

T

the record spot

Must admit, the only time I can think of WHF coming remotely close to saying "this is the one to buy" would be for the recent Cyrus 6SE and 8SE CD players (a mistake IMO) - you could just as easily argue that the other kit is as worthy of "ultimate guide and advice" as Krell, so I'd still question your mate's rationale and thought process. Maybe that's why he's an ex-banker! Still, it's his money...

Dr Beat

Sep 15, 2008
Visit site
Yes, i checked. The WHF team did not say exactly "this is the set to buy" , but when you need retail therapy, you seem to read more in to the words "you'll get a stonking sound that's hard to beat for the money". I presume "stonking" means "go on.....go and get it". Ex-bankers, what do they know....no wonder his bank is in a load load of c---. Mind you, if he wanted to unload it later, i might just be lucky to get it. Funny how people use different things to forget their worries or to drown their sorrow. still, he made wads of cash when the going was good, but now the party's over. Unfortunately, the hangover is affecting all of us big time. Time to put on my Louis Armstrong's "What a wonderful world"...............

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts