panny bd35 picture quality

Harpo

Dec 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I've got a panny BD35 connected to a panny PZ70 tv via a QED hdmi and I am not impressed with the picture quality on blu-ray. I've tried a few films and they don't look any better than a normal DVD. I expected to see a much improved clear, more detailed picture. Some films are grainy and there is some juddering.

I'm just not getting the wow factor.

Are there any settings I should change on the player?

Any advise please.

Regards

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Not all bluray discs are created equal but on the whole you should be getting the wow factor. Some films are shot to look grainy, on others it's just there due to the way films are made i.e. film. You can minimise it to a degree by turning off DNiE and lowering the sharpness but in all honesty some films are worse than others and it's nothing to do with bluray.

I would obviously also check the settings on your TV and use a calibration disc such as DVE or the ones on THX and Pixar discs. If you google your set you should get some settings that should give you somewhere to start. I would imagine there is a video on the WHF site to give you some pointers.

Re. juddering. I doubt your player can output 24fps if the TV doesn't support it but if I accidentally leave 24fps on automatic on my PS3, I get juddering when viewing on my projector. The only disc, I've encountered major problems is Band of Brothers IIRC. If I turn it off, the juddering goes away. My plasma supports 24fps. However, your set is an older one and if you google "PZ70 judder" you'll find a few hits.

A

Anonymous

I just bought the Panasonic BD-35 myself and the picture quality is nothing short of a revelation. The Blu-Ray pictures are significantly superior to my upscaling dvd player.

My tv is also an older version LG 50 inch. Fantastic.

A

Anonymous

I've got the Pan BD30 player and similar Pan 42" Plasma (not sure of the model).
The picture quality on good blu-discs is stunning, so I'm very surprised you're unhappy with yours. Try a few different discs and have a play around with the settings on both devices.
I was watch Eastern Promises last night and the picture was almost 3 dimensional in some of the scenes - the sharpness and level of detail were really superb. Dark Knight was also very good, especially the IMAX city scenes.

Harpo

Dec 24, 2007
Visit site
I've had the TV a while now and the picture settings are correct. I had a DVD player but wanted to get the most out of my full HD tv.

I watched Bankok dangerous (Nicolas Cage)on Sunday on Bluray and the picture was OK but nothing special, in fact, DVD quality!

I'll rent one of the films mentioned and try some different settings..something must be set incorrectly.

Regards Steve

A

Anonymous

I also have a BD35 and it is excellent. I rented bangkok dangerous and it is not only a bad film but terrible quality. Its not the player its the disc. Try something like Iron man or transformers and you will not be disappointed

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Isyout telly HD ready or full HD?

1.If it is HD ready then go into the Blu Ray setup (bottom left key on remote with no disc playing)

2.Then go to TV/Device connection

3.Then HDMI connection

4.Then set HDMI video Format to 720p (or 1080i if your display will take it)

If it is Full HD then as above except step 4, set to 1080p

Not sure why but my player defaulted to 480 when I first setup.

A

Anonymous

Hi True Blue,

My bd35 was set to automatic as default, do you think it is best set as this or set to 1080p as you described in an earlier post

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
That depends upon if it is outputting 1080p. Your TV should tell you when you switch inputs.

I had to set mine manually as it saw my Denon reciever as a non HD device!!

If it is working in automatic I would leave it that way and only force the output if required.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts