Panasonic V20, 5.1 sound issue

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I am condidering buying the Panasonic 42V20 and came across a review written by Andy Clough.

He highlighted the issue that Panasonic HD tvs do not ouput 5.1 sound.

Is it only the Freeview HD channels that have this problem or will I not get 5.1 sound (through my receiver) for all channels?

I am currently using a virgin box to receive my channels.

Currently, I am receiving 5.1 sound through my Pioneer receiver, connected directly to my Sony tv via scart

Will I be able to do this with the Panasonic and receive 5.1 sound?

Please can you clarify.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
It's a Freeview HD thing: some Freeview HD channels transmit surround sound as AAC, not Dolby Digital, and in order to output to your receiver the TV would need to transcode this to Dolby Digital, which the Panasonic doesn't.

Other channels transmit using conventional DD encoding, which is no problem at all.

A

Anonymous

Would you say this is a minor problem within the scheme of things, seeing that there are not many Freeview HD channels at present?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Only you can really decide that; as AC explained, it affects the BBC HD channel, and there are more of those to come. But if you aready have the Virgin box, it shouldn't have any impact on your viewing at all, as you can connect the Virgin box directly to your receiver and get surround sound that way.

Pindi

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
I think you're getting confused here, Andy. He's talking about the Pamasonic V20, not Panasonic V20.
emotion-4.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Pindi:I think you're getting confused here, Andy. He's talking about the Pamasonic V20, not Panasonic V20.
emotion-4.gif

Thanks for the clarification, Panda.

Pindi

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
Pindi:I think you're getting confused here, Andy. He's talking about the Pamasonic V20, not Panasonic V20.
emotion-4.gif

Thanks for the clarification, Panda.

Funny you say that, my wife's students call her Panda!!

Pindi

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
Pindi:Funny you say that, my wife's students call her Panda!!

Perhaps you could suggest she goes a bit easier on the eyeshadow...

I do try, but she just doesn't listen.
emotion-16.gif

A

Anonymous

The VT 20 does output 5.1 on BBC HD on Freesat. Wimbledon was great.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
12th:The VT 20 does output 5.1 on BBC HD on Freesat. Wimbledon was great.Yes, but the OP was asking about Freeview, not Freesat, and the V20, not the VT20. Oh, and a 42in set, not the larger screen sizes in which, at least until later this year, the VT20 is only available. Other than that, spot on...

A

Anonymous

Ah. Superfluous, then. I live and learn.

I didn't even know that the Freeview HD channels did 5.1, as we're not yet blessed with coverage.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts